Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Itchy has a good summary. Down caught a lot under new rules. Cavan once on passes and once on sideline. Also had a 13 minute sin bin. Cadden was best of newcomers but he has the physicality so helps. Raymond Galligan was brilliant and deserved MOTM with his skills from play excellent too. Yeah noticed Moynagh much more lean and covered every blade of grass. Argue done well too at midfield.

Itchy

Down to earth with a bump last night. Phillips very silly getting sent off inside 5 minutes against a pretty strong Donegal team. Didnt get to it but heard Conor Madden showed well which is a plus. I am worried about going into the national league with this team though. I wonder where we are on injuries to the likes of McVetty, Clarke, Smith, Gearoid etc. Hard to see us getting something in Galway without those players.

Look-Up!

Probably shouldn't read too much into McKenna Cup. It's about blooding players and we've done it better this year compared to this time last year IMO. We've left 5/6 seasoned players on in each game giving the younger lads a better platform whereby last year we threw them into the deep end more and a lot of them sank. Still, Donegal result is disappointing and a little worrying and we definitely need extra players back for the league in addition to who have played so far. Not asking Gunner in is a bit perplexing too and a massive misjudgment. Cannot for the life of me see how anyone could not think he would be a big asset over the course of a league and be pushing for a championship place. 

mrdeeds

Was Gunner not given extra time off with the club run to Ulster final?

Look-Up!

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 10, 2019, 12:59:38 PM
Was Gunner not given extra time off with the club run to Ulster final?

Honestly don't know. No Mullahoran players have been contacted either way, whether to say they are not required or that they will be required later. That was last week.

Itchy

I see McVetty was playing with his college at the weekend so at least he should be back for next Sunday. Galway well beaten by Rossies yesterday whatever you can read into that I dont know.

scoopmine

Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2019, 10:01:52 AM
I see McVetty was playing with his college at the weekend so at least he should be back for next Sunday. Galway well beaten by Rossies yesterday whatever you can read into that I dont know.

Didn't realise he was back in college. Who did he tog out with?

Itchy

Itchy

Seniors beat Kildare in a challenge game Sunday by 4 points, a 2nd string lost to Mullinnaughta by 1 point.

I think there might be something in it for us on Sunday against Galway, we could be getting them at a good time.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on January 22, 2019, 08:21:33 AM
Seniors beat Kildare in a challenge game Sunday by 4 points, a 2nd string lost to Mullinnaughta by 1 point.

I think there might be something in it for us on Sunday against Galway, we could be getting them at a good time.

Heard Gunner was called in and made an appearance v Mullinalaghta which is welcome news. Mackey played too apparently and James Smith played well. Heard nothing on team v Kildare.
Galway will be very tough even with injuries. They have had some great underage teams over the last few years and many players involved with Sigerson so they will have ample replacements. Gearoid is a big loss for us and we will probably struggle for scores without him. A win on the road would be a fantastic start though.

Westside

Cavan 5/2 for Sunday so the bookies aren't expecting much from us. Usually i'd be encouraged with a win against Kildare but they are missing a lot of players. Be very interesting to see what sort of team Mickey puts out. I'd fully expect Madden to start.

Who is best to put on Comer? Killian Clarke probably? Or stick Gunner on him for a while and see if sparks fly.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on January 22, 2019, 05:30:27 PM
Cavan 5/2 for Sunday so the bookies aren't expecting much from us. Usually i'd be encouraged with a win against Kildare but they are missing a lot of players. Be very interesting to see what sort of team Mickey puts out. I'd fully expect Madden to start.

Who is best to put on Comer? Killian Clarke probably? Or stick Gunner on him for a while and see if sparks fly.

Apparently Comer is injured. I'd be very worried about Shane Walsh. He's the type of player to open up a team like Cavan.

Duckquay

The only thing flying there would be cards. In gunner's direction. Mcveety probably the best match for Walsh alright but then you're taking away your greatest strength.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Duckquay on January 24, 2019, 11:01:08 PM

The only thing flying there would be cards. In gunner's direction. Mcveety probably the best match for Walsh alright but then you're taking away your greatest strength.

Martin Reilly did a good job on Donnacha Walsh in Breffni a couple of years ago. Might be worth a try on Walsh Sunday. Good reader of the game too and composed on the ball. Sometimes he slows it down too much in the half forwards so one of the young lads could be tried in there instead.

Westside

Quote from: Duckquay on January 24, 2019, 11:01:08 PM

Gunner always picks up a yellow but he's rarely sent off. Donie Kingston was roasting Rory Dunne in Porlaoise a few years ago and they moved Gunner onto him, he cleaned him for the rest of the game. Kingston visibly didn't want possession in the end.

McVeety needs to be in the full forward line. He will be our best scoring threat. I'd stick Martin Reilly on him, has the engine and the speed to keep with him.