The GPA

Started by heganboy, November 14, 2012, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 06, 2012, 01:46:45 AM
On the issue of "have I got any  proof" please go to our mutual friend Mr Google and ask him 'gaa theft'  'gaa fraud'  'gaa money missing'  and come back to me in a weeks time if ye need any more help.

No, Bud, it doesn't work like that.  You're the one making the allegation -- you produce the evidence.  Don't ask me to make your argument for you.  Either produce the evidence or shut up.

QuoteI did not compare the GAA with Bishops in denial,

Yes you did.  You said "You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country."

QuoteI compared anyone who didnt believe vthat money goes missing from GAA clubs with them and when it comes to dignity a lot of them are still falling short.

Put those goalposts back where you got them. Nobody said there has never been fraud in the GAA ever.  Your claim is that it's as rife in the GAA as child abuse was in the Christian Brothers schools.  So far all you've given us as evidence is a single incident years ago when a couple of hundred quid was thrown over a wall and picked up by some young lad who handed it in to the cops.  Not exactly the Great Train Robbery now, is it?  Hardly evidence that every single club and county board is run by thieves.

I sometimes wonder what some people around here actually do for the GAA apart from gripe about it.  Given the amount of hours that I've put into the organisation over the years (before we even start on the out-of-pocket expenses that I don't get back) the idea that people like me are "on the take" is offensive.

Grade: F-

Must do better.

Declan

thewobbler

Given their militant response yesterday, I sincerely hope the GPA organise a strike.

A very appropriate response from the GAA would be to cancel the county season for 2020 in its entirety, use their now bountiful reserves to support the Association for the season, and top it up with a few more concerts at Croke.

At the end of all that, this shower of c***ts might just learn their real place.

caprea

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2020, 03:32:00 PM
Given their militant response yesterday, I sincerely hope the GPA organise a strike.

A very appropriate response from the GAA would be to cancel the county season for 2020 in its entirety, use their now bountiful reserves to support the Association for the season, and top it up with a few more concerts at Croke.

At the end of all that, this shower of c***ts might just learn their real place.

Where do you think they stand in the association given the county game has brought in revenue of 70 million?

thewobbler

Quote from: caprea on February 13, 2020, 04:01:44 PM

Where do you think they stand in the association given the county game has brought in revenue of 70 million?

They are at a point where because they've chosen to spend 31 hours per week pursuing a hobby, that they want improved rewards for doing so.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that large GAA crowds do not go watch players, they go to watch their counties. Hence you could fit the entire crowd for a Sigerson Cup final, or a Railway Cup final into a d4 club ground.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that centrally the GAA's revenues are up, but county boards are going bankrupt trying to meet their demands.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that their secretive and paranoid approach to business is elitist and generates mistrust, and will be their undoing.

caprea

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2020, 04:25:26 PM

They are at a point where because they've chosen to spend 31 hours per week pursuing a hobby, that they want improved rewards for doing so.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that large GAA crowds do not go watch players, they go to watch their counties. Hence you could fit the entire crowd for a Sigerson Cup final, or a Railway Cup final into a d4 club ground.

Yes you are correct, people don't care if it's david Clifford, ciaran Kilkenny and Aidan O'Shea they are paying to see or if it's random decent club players from Mayo, Dublin and Kerry. They'll still show up in huge numbers and pay for 50 euro- 100 euro for tickets. And the tv deals and the sponsors will be just as interested. Yes that is complete fact.

thewobbler

Crowds of 5,000 are a regular enough occurrence for McKenna Cup games between intercounty B and C teams.

There are not 5,000 people who have watched David Clifford playing in the flesh for IT Tralee over the past 3 seasons. And he's the best and most high profile young player to appear in generations.

These are facts.

——-

But you are of course entitled to make assumptions.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2020, 04:25:26 PM

They are not yet at the point of realisation that centrally the GAA's revenues are up, but county boards are going bankrupt trying to meet their demands.

They are not yet at the point of realisation that their secretive and paranoid approach to business is elitist and generates mistrust, and will be their undoing.

+1. If the individual players were the only reason the big crowds show up, the Railway Cup would be selling out in Croke Park every year. The GPA are a shower of angry young men with a combination of a persecution complex and some ideas above their station.

caprea

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
Crowds of 5,000 are a regular enough occurrence for McKenna Cup games between intercounty B and C teams.

There are not 5,000 people who have watched David Clifford playing in the flesh for IT Tralee over the past 3 seasons. And he's the best and most high profile young player to appear in generations.

These are facts.

——-

But you are of course entitled to make assumptions.

Dead right, sure I remember when the first teamers of Cork and Limerick hurlers went on strike. Big crowds ensued who didn't care that the best players weren't playing. It all ended well as I recall.