Maigh Eo v Dubh Linn, 24-Fea-2018, Páirc Mhic Éil

Started by macdanger2, February 20, 2018, 11:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Mayo's post-2012 record against them –  P12 W0 D3 L9!

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
I remember a league game where some full forward destroyed us down in Castlebar. Was it 1-12 to 0-3 or something. First name Austin I think. Remember reading a comment by a Dub who was at it that this guy was one of the best forwards he'd ever seen. But obviously didnt come to much.  I was going to say it was 7 or 8 years ago, but my concept of time is brutal these days. Might have the 90s!

Tubberman

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 21, 2018, 12:17:30 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 21, 2018, 12:15:36 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 21, 2018, 12:09:49 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 21, 2018, 11:35:02 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 21, 2018, 11:11:59 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 20, 2018, 11:59:17 PM
I was very down hearted leaving Salthill a week and a half ago, facing Dublin in "fortress" McHale is not the ideal recovery. Bookies have us as 5/2 outsiders. Lose this and we're well and truly in the relegation battle

The spoon burners by 5+

Stay classy.

Jesus, it was in jest. Is there nothing over on the D3 thread for you to get offended by?

I'd tell you to have a read of Philly McMahon's book to see just how funny that comment is but I suspect that's exactly why you used the term.

You can suspect away seanie, I've never read his book, you're reading way too much into a throwaway comment.

I modified my comment because I felt it was too strong.

I still think it's a wrong choice of words and not humorous at all.

When did you become such a shrinking violet. FFS you've posted far worse than that yourself.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on February 21, 2018, 01:45:17 PM
I remember a league game where some full forward destroyed us down in Castlebar. Was it 1-12 to 0-3 or something. First name Austin I think. Remember reading a comment by a Dub who was at it that this guy was one of the best forwards he'd ever seen. But obviously didnt come to much.  I was going to say it was 7 or 8 years ago, but my concept of time is brutal these days. Might have the 90s!

Austin O'Malley. Always very good in the league but struggled with the pace of summer football. Decent player, but not at the top top level he often looked like on heavier ground.

Lar Naparka

No it was the noughties. Austin O'Malley is the man you are talking about. He was a classy footballer alright but he found it hard to keep his weight down.He may well have dropped out of scene because he was injury prone. He also worked in Wicklow  and the time spent travelling over and back between Mayo and Wicklow may have been a factor inn his decision to leave the panel. On his day, he was brilliant, without a  doubt.

(PS WTF is a spoon burner?)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Owenmoresider

Do recall that result alright, think it was mid-00's but not sure if Lyons or Caffrey was over the Dubs at the time.

heffo

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 21, 2018, 02:04:21 PM

Do recall that result alright, think it was mid-00's but not sure if Lyons or Caffrey was over the Dubs at the time.

That was under Tommy Lyons in 2004 - dark day

Syferus

I'll read Philly's book when he stops pretending he isn't a scümbag on the field..

Farrandeelin

Was there myself that day. I remember the Dublin freetaker, name escapes me at the min getting awful abuse from a Dub fan after missing a simple free. Wayne something I think his name was.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

heffo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 21, 2018, 02:24:58 PM

Was there myself that day. I remember the Dublin freetaker, name escapes me at the min getting awful abuse from a Dub fan after missing a simple free. Wayne something I think his name was.

It was Mossy Quinn.

Wayne McCarthy didn't feature under Lyons.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2018, 11:44:48 AM
When you look at who is out for Mayo, you realise this will be nothing more than a formality for Dublin to win.
With Mayo its probably best to wait until throw in to see who is out for sure. Barrett,C O Connor,Higgins and Keegan are the only first choice players out for certain and Vaughan if you want to call him first choice. S O Shea,Harrison,Parsons and Durcan could play yet.

The heavy MacHale park pitch could well be a leveler also.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 21, 2018, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2018, 11:44:48 AM
When you look at who is out for Mayo, you realise this will be nothing more than a formality for Dublin to win.
With Mayo its probably best to wait until throw in to see who is out for sure. Barrett,C O Connor,Higgins and Keegan are the only first choice players out for certain and Vaughan if you want to call him first choice. S O Shea,Harrison,Parsons and Durcan could play yet.

The heavy MacHale park pitch could well be a leveler also.

If there's question marks over that many players then you already had your answer to whether Mayo were in trouble before you posted.

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2018, 02:00:56 PM

No it was the noughties. Austin O'Malley is the man you are talking about. He was a classy footballer alright but he found it hard to keep his weight down.He may well have dropped out of scene because he was injury prone. He also worked in Wicklow  and the time spent travelling over and back between Mayo and Wicklow may have been a factor inn his decision to leave the panel. On his day, he was brilliant, without a  doubt.

he played for wicklow  for the last couple of years .
I remember hime being man of the match against Kerry in an allireland Quarter final (mayos MOM anyway scored 5 from play IIRC).
he was the most untrusted thing in mayo football a scoring forward  like Maurice Sheridan or conor Mortimer  , we cant be doing with that likes of that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

You can add Paddy Durcan and Brendan Harrison to the crocked list. Bejaysus, some of ye younger buckos should bring yer boots along; you could well be needed at this rate of going. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on February 21, 2018, 03:45:13 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2018, 02:00:56 PM

he played for wicklow  for the last couple of years .
I remember hime being man of the match against Kerry in an allireland Quarter final (mayos MOM anyway scored 5 from play IIRC).
he was the most untrusted thing in mayo football a scoring forward  like Maurice Sheridan or conor Mortimer  , we cant be doing with that likes of that

You were hardly his greatest fan either Ros same as your clubman JM!!