Grimley to leave Kildare

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 28, 2009, 03:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

GAA: Grimley To Leave Kildare 
Kfm Sport has exclusively learned that Kildare selector and coach Paul Grimley is to resign his position. We understand that  the main factor involved is the amount of travel that Grimley undertakes between his home in Armagh and the various Kildare training sessions and matches.

Manager Kieran McGeeney is also from Armagh, but resides in Dublin.

Its also thought that the vacancy for the Armagh manager's position is not a factor in Grimley's decision.

Its expected that his departure will be officially announced at the monthly meeting of the County Board on Tuesday evening. 

http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-radio/sports-news/gaa-grimley-to-leave-kildare.html

Very disappointing news. Wish him all the best with whatever he has planned for the future.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Big loss for you DH. Will Mc Geeney be given a free hand in picking a replacement?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Donnellys Hollow

I'd assume so FóSB. Its a blow but I can't imagine the news came out of the blue. I'm sure Kieran will have someone lined up to come into the set-up.

cornafean

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 28, 2009, 03:23:16 PM
Its also thought that the vacancy for the Armagh manager's position is not a factor in Grimley's decision.

Not half.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

botman

Grimley is the new Armagh Manager - just heard in on the vine.
Keep them at it.

Dinny Breen

Good and Bad, very well respected by the players and will be a massive loss but a new voice and ideas could be the key to pushing on for a Leinster Title and a good crack at the All-Ireland.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 28, 2009, 04:26:30 PM
Good and Bad, very well respected by the players and will be a massive loss but a new voice and ideas could be the key to pushing on for a Leinster Title and a good crack at the All-Ireland.

Thats a disaster for Kildare in my view. Not sure how well Mc Geeney will do on his own. Good manager/coaches at senior inter county level are thin on the ground out there. There are very few good ones out there.

Obviously Grimley is the new Armagh manager.

Donnellys Hollow

It is a big loss but McGeeney is cute enough and he'll surely have learned a lot from Grimley. As Dinny says, a different voice and fresh ideas can sometimes be beneficial.

Owenmoresider

Didn't he pull out of the Cavan setup in order to go for the Armagh job previously? Presumably he must be closer to getting it this time, if he's doing the same with Kildare.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: botman on August 28, 2009, 03:54:17 PM
Grimley is the new Armagh Manager - just heard in on the vine.

A good move by Armagh, if true.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Tyrones own

Fair play to him...should have gotten the job first time around!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Jimmy14

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 28, 2009, 04:26:30 PM
I know you say he'd be a massive lost, but can you really convince yourself a new voice would be better?
After the improvement you lot have made!