Cill Dara v Cill Mhantáin - 7pm Port Laoise 25/7/09

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 19, 2009, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Should be a fascinating game. Carlow or Portlaoise possible venues??

Wicklow on a roll but how will they perform out of Aughrim? They'll have no fear of our lads after Croke Park last year.

Should be no shortage of motivation for the Kildare team. It's a great opportunity to put the ghosts of that defeat to rest.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Soft one for Kildare. 8-10 pt win I'd put my house on it. Completely different fitness and power level.

Donnellys Hollow

I'd hope so but they've always seemed to cause us problems down the years. They were seven points up on us at one stage in the second half in 2005 before Tadhg Fennin punched a goal and Earley and Karl Ennis came off the bench to win the game for us. I remember another match back in the early nineties, might have been 1993, when they were nine or ten points ahead at HT. Think Martin Lynch got two goals to get us out of jail that day. He took around twenty steps for one of them if I recall correctly!

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2009, 10:46:42 PM
Soft one for Kildare. 8-10 pt win I'd put my house on it. Completely different fitness and power level.

I concur.
Mickos lap-running method is about to be seriously found out
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Feck off Indiana, Wicklow are on roll, knocked out 3 teams from the strongest province Kildare have to pick themselves up off the ground, Wicklow won comfortably last year, Wicklow have to be favourites...

The players wanted this, no lacking motivation and hopefully we can excorcise last years demons...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Yep, Wicklow have to be favourites. It's the Micko factor!

Frank Casey

Was in Tralee last evening and the cheer that went up when the Wicklow result was announced was something to witness.

Heart says Wickla, head says the lillywhites, but common the goatsuckers.
KERRY 3:7

Dinny Breen

QuoteI remember another match back in the early nineties, might have been 1993, when they were nine or ten points ahead at HT. Think Martin Lynch got two goals to get us out of jail that day. He took around twenty steps for one of them if I recall correctly!

Remember that, yea he took about 10 steps and we were 9 points behind, Hugh Kenny was immense for Wicklow that day and didn't deserve to be robbed.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2009, 11:02:30 PM
Feck off Indiana, Wicklow are on roll, knocked out 3 teams from the strongest province Kildare have to pick themselves up off the ground, Wicklow won comfortably last year, Wicklow have to be favourites...

The players wanted this, no lacking motivation and hopefully we can excorcise last years demons...
In what world do Kildare go from being in with a good shout of beating Dublin and being generally fancied to being underdogs to Wicklow?

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

Just been reading through the thread of last year's match: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7752.45

I'd nearly send it on to the few lads I know on the panel to use it as motivation for Saturday's match. In all the years I've followed Kildare football, I've never been as sick and depressed coming home from a defeat as I was last year.

Time to lay those demons to rest.

Jinxy

Quote from: Gnevin on July 19, 2009, 11:24:44 PM

In what world do Kildare go from being in with a good shout of beating Dublin and being generally fancied to being underdogs to Wicklow?

In a world where the worst thing possible is to be considered the favourite to win a game.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Wicklow have beaten Fermanagh, Down and Cavan. If I was to name the 2 worst football matches I saw all year - it was involving those 3 sides. Wicklow have had a fine run but i'd expect Dublin to beat Wicklow by 10 points. I know myself the top 4 teams would run Wicklow into the ground. Since Kildare should have beaten us- I expect them to account for Wicklow with quite a bit to spare. thats if Kildare see themselves as having genuinely improved from last year.If Kildare can't get the motivation after last year they should retire.

This is a different level of football compared to the teams Wicklow have been playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 19, 2009, 11:34:32 PM
Just been reading through the thread of last year's match: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7752.45

I'd nearly send it on to the few lads I know on the panel to use it as motivation for Saturday's match. In all the years I've followed Kildare football, I've never been as sick and depressed coming home from a defeat as I was last year.

Time to lay those demons to rest.

Interesting reading right enough. Turned out the "mercenaries" weren't so bad after all.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Dinny Breen

Just read through that thread and I was quite the prophet, Kildare learned so much from that defeat but those lessons will have been futile if we don't win next weekend.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bud Wiser

The Range Rovers are certainly not costing as much to keep on the road this year, ye could nearly leave the horse boxes attached because ye still haven't moved away from playing a county that didn't touch your own county.

EDIT:  The correct answer will be; We got further than Laois.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"