Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: culchie11 on December 16, 2016, 06:51:35 PM
Bit rich coming from a know all journalist lol pot and kettle spring to mind George!

Galls haven't won a championship in 2 years and u have them for the scrap heap!

Go through every club in Ireland and there r blow ins involved at some level be it playing or management or committee level!

??

Galer

Mr2 if one team cherry picked the best of the south west they would win as many chamionships as st galls.however u assumed i was attacking st galls my point was that the xbox generation want the best and will not accept anything less.times have changed and so do gaa clubs if they want a future

Hectic

Yeah to add to that I am not fearful of city amalgamations but my preference would be a situation where loads of funding attained from HQ to promote the games particularly in primary schools, improve facilities to make GAA clubs an attractive option and see where that takes us. I would try and follow what has been happening in Dublin and use the fundfing precedent that has been set there.

I believe that for us to have a strong county team we need our largest populated area by a distance producing a good few really strong teams. St Galls had a period of dominance and got to one All Ireland and won another, they were an exceptional side at this time but them winning was not a reflection of the strength of Antrim football as a whole.

And as someone pointed out great to see McRory representation. A positive step.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on December 17, 2016, 08:43:18 AM
Yeah to add to that I am not fearful of city amalgamations but my preference would be a situation where loads of funding attained from HQ to promote the games particularly in primary schools, improve facilities to make GAA clubs an attractive option and see where that takes us. I would try and follow what has been happening in Dublin and use the fundfing precedent that has been set there.

I believe that for us to have a strong county team we need our largest populated area by a distance producing a good few really strong teams. St Galls had a period of dominance and got to one All Ireland and won another, they were an exceptional side at this time but them winning was not a reflection of the strength of Antrim football as a whole.

We did manage as a county to get to an Ulster final and Ran Kerry close in that period, and mainly without Gall lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 17, 2016, 08:49:03 AM

We did manage as a county to get to an Ulster final and Ran Kerry close in that period, and mainly without Gall lads

We did indeed but that was one good year, we beat weak Donegal and Cavan teams before those two gallant failures. I know some counties are pretty successful without having outstanding club teams but we are sitting on a huge city population and I would like to see its potential maximised.

Minder

Five St Galls players started the Ulster final in 2009
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hectic on December 17, 2016, 08:55:47 AM

We did indeed but that was one good year, we beat weak Donegal and Cavan teams before those two gallant failures. I know some counties are pretty successful without having outstanding club teams but we are sitting on a huge city population and I would like to see its potential maximised.

Cavan were weak that year but donegal weren't. They didn't play very well against us but most of that team won ai medals.

As minder said plenty of st galls guys on it. Sean kelly wasn't i think and maybe mcgourtys weren't but mclean, brady, healy o'neill, gallagher etc all there.

On a sidenote fm that team losing james loughrey has been a massive blow to us as ge could mix it with the best in ulster at least at that stage.

Hectic

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 17, 2016, 10:02:13 AM
Quote from: Hectic on December 17, 2016, 08:55:47 AM

Cavan were weak that year but donegal weren't. They didn't play very well against us but most of that team won ai medals.

As minder said plenty of st galls guys on it. Sean kelly wasn't i think and maybe mcgourtys weren't but mclean, brady, healy o'neill, gallagher etc all there.

On a sidenote fm that team losing james loughrey has been a massive blow to us as ge could mix it with the best in ulster at least at that stage.

Ideally we would have a team brimming with players of that standard. Antrim county football will not be sorted overnight but to sort it we need to focus hard on our primary schools.

Galer

Agree with that last statement the sooner we all realise that we are only scratching the surface of our true ability the quicker we get everthing ib place and hopefully a great county team.saff vis is now in year 2 and i hope i at least hear of them trying to secure adequate funding for coaching from hq.saff vis has had a 1 year( rome wasnt build etc) but year 2 and i think everyone needs to c some sort of growth.and dunsilly wasnt there baby.

Hectic

Few clubs changing manager this winter. Any news on appointments or who are the runners and riders?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on December 18, 2016, 10:16:28 PM
Few clubs changing manager this winter. Any news on appointments or who are the runners and riders?

Not a dickie bird, Portglenone are training already as far as I can hear!

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 19, 2016, 10:34:11 AM
Quote from: Hectic on December 18, 2016, 10:16:28 PM

Not a dickie bird, Portglenone are training already as far as I can hear!

Jeez they are keen - time enough until Jan IMO but each to their own I suppose.

bannside

39 Portglenone players out training their right arms on Saturday!! Tour of the Glens 12 pubs of Christmas so a few sore heads yesterday!

Hectic

Quote from: bannside on December 19, 2016, 11:03:18 AM
39 Portglenone players out training their right arms on Saturday!! Tour of the Glens 12 pubs of Christmas so a few sore heads yesterday!

Do you know what the 12 pubs were?  I cannot think of 12 up that way unless of course you take in Larne and Ballycastle :)

Hectic

Am thinking couple in Glenariffe, maybe 3 in Cushendall, couple in Carnlough and maybe the same in Glenarm and Cushendun - suppose that would not be too far off.