Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

disappointing lose for us yday. Didnt get to the game but was chatting to the fellas who did and they thought that they were more than capable to winning it but fair play to Glenavy.

Age old bother for us of not getting all the players there at one time. Be interesting to see if we actually ever did get them all out at one time to see how we would fare. tough game on weds night at home to Randalstown.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

Aye said it many times. Dunloy massive potential but never seem to max out on the football side of things. Wed nights opponents on the other hand seem to have a habit of punching above their weight so I will be interested to see the outcome of that one.

Hectic

So Sligo away then - how many times in the last number of years have we had a home tie in the qualifiers?  Did we not even get drawn at home to Fermanagh a couple of years ago abut then because of some rule have to play away.  What way does this work anyway if there are rules that can change a venue in terms of home away status yet we keep playing away?

Hectic

And to add to my confusion Derry have been drawn at home to Waterford but must play away at Fraher Field.

toby47

Quote from: Hectic on June 06, 2017, 10:35:26 AM
And to add to my confusion Derry have been drawn at home to Waterford but must play away at Fraher Field.

If two teams are pulled out to play each other and one has played at home in the championship and one has played away then the team that hasn't played at home yet will be given home advantage for the qualifier game.

if both team have played at home/away - the team that was pulled out first will get home advantage.

Eg - Derry were pulled out first, then Waterford. However in their previous championship games Derry were at home to Tyrone and Waterford were away to Cork. Meaning Waterford now have home advantage.

And as a Derry man I now have 10hours of driving ahead of me to watch the match  :o :o

Hectic

Quote from: toby47 on June 06, 2017, 11:12:09 AM

If two teams are pulled out to play each other and one has played at home in the championship and one has played away then the team that hasn't played at home yet will be given home advantage for the qualifier game.

if both team have played at home/away - the team that was pulled out first will get home advantage.

Eg - Derry were pulled out first, then Waterford. However in their previous championship games Derry were at home to Tyrone and Waterford were away to Cork. Meaning Waterford now have home advantage.

And as a Derry man I now have 10hours of driving ahead of me to watch the match  :o :o

Thanks for that Toby.  Antrim have just had a horrendous run of luck then over the last number of years having only had one home draw in Ulster Championship since 2010 and regularly drawing teams in qualifiers away that are eligible for a home tie in said qualifier.

toby47

Quote from: Hectic on June 06, 2017, 11:19:30 AM

Thanks for that Toby.  Antrim have just had a horrendous run of luck then over the last number of years having only had one home draw in Ulster Championship since 2010 and regularly drawing teams in qualifiers away that are eligible for a home tie in said qualifier.

One home draw in 7 years is horrible luck.

You'd also imagine with the home advantage system in the Qualifiers you would have had a few more home games however it doesn't always work like that.

BrendanAntrim

Disappointed with the draw. Fair enough to get Sligo, we beat them in the league, but another away game. 😞

Hectic

I actually managed to erase from my memory that we had Limerick at home last year in the qualifiers (probably for obvious reasons).

But before that in qualifiers we had 2 away games in 2015, 1 away in 2014, 1 away in 2013, 1 home and 2 away in 2012 and 3 at home in 2011.

So all in, last 7 years we have had 5 home championship games and 12 away and that is sugar coated by 2011 which if you remove we have had 2 home and 11 away in last 6 years.  Or put another way we have had 1 home championship game since 2013.

Ah well, luck of the draw as they say but god knows we could do with all the help we can get.

The Gs Man

Very pleasantly surprised to see our U12s match review (against Cargin Friday night) appear on the new Saffron Gael website.  Pity about the result, but more of this sort of thing!!!
Keep 'er lit

Hectic

Quote from: The Gs Man on June 06, 2017, 01:31:56 PM
Very pleasantly surprised to see our U12s match review (against Cargin Friday night) appear on the new Saffron Gael website.  Pity about the result, but more of this sort of thing!!!

Somebody has raised the donation button on the page a few days back.  From what I see of this site so far it is well worth donating to, the coverage is extensive and for me would be a better stop than going out and buying papers.  Also the reality is to go out and get this level of coverage would come at a certain cost be it fuel, equipment or simply time.  Certainly it has started off well and I am not surprised given the amount of photographs I have seen in recent years on Facebook from said photographer it is clear there is a real genuine love of the game as opposed to a business venture driving the whole thing on.  Keep up the good work.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on June 06, 2017, 02:31:01 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on June 06, 2017, 01:31:56 PM

Somebody has raised the donation button on the page a few days back.  From what I see of this site so far it is well worth donating to, the coverage is extensive and for me would be a better stop than going out and buying papers.  Also the reality is to go out and get this level of coverage would come at a certain cost be it fuel, equipment or simply time.  Certainly it has started off well and I am not surprised given the amount of photographs I have seen in recent years on Facebook from said photographer it is clear there is a real genuine love of the game driving the whole thing on.  Keep up the good work.

I've been at a load of functions both GAA and non GAA that Curly has been at and he always talks GAA. The man is GAA in the brain and I know from speaking to people from Glenravel, he played a massive role in their centenary book.

rashCharacter

Thats not correct - the criteria is:
The first team drawn out will be given home advantage in most circumstances.

If the two teams met already in their province this year, the winner of that provincial championship game will have home advantage.

Also, if a county did not have a home game in the first round of the qualifier series in 2016 they will have a home tie this time around. If two such counties are drawn together the first team out of the bowl will play at home.

Waterford were away to Leitrim in the 1st round qualifiers last year, Derry were at home to Louth so its a home game for Waterford this year.

Gold

We can beat Sligo

I may stay the night
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Hectic

Quote from: Gold on June 06, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
We can beat Sligo

I may stay the night

Funny my brother made the same suggestion this afternoon. Could be a lively night in the town.