Tír Eoghain v Corcaigh - Dé Domhnaigh 10iu Márta 2:30pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 04, 2013, 12:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

I don't think anyone discarded last year would have made a huge difference yesterday. It's easy to criticise but given that Tyrone had won all 8 games before yesterday I wouldn't get too carried away by a defeat after a very flat performance.

rrhf

EC Unique

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2013, 12:55:15 PM
That was a horrible showing. Mickey didn't take the nephew off-no chance. I feel he has been carried the past few games. He's gradually going back to the players he had last season which wasn't good enough

You think he should drop Pete Harte?

rrhf

I think it's very disrespectful to call players the nephew or whatever. Peter is no more a no 11 or 6 than I am though

Redhand Santa

Quote from: rrhf on March 11, 2013, 10:27:35 PM
Yes keep in touch at what point do I be right?

Ignoring your own club men (who you will naturally be biased towards) who are these players from prior year that would make such a difference? I think the panel is strong already and this would be further helped by the return of Mugsy and Sean O'Neill who have played in at least one in house game. Tyrone beat both All Ireland finalists from last year already in the league and up until yesterday were going well. Wouldn't be too quick to call for change after one league defeat against one of the best teams in Ireland.

Man Marker

Quote from: EC Unique on March 11, 2013, 10:30:43 PM
That was a horrible showing. Mickey didn't take the nephew off-no chance. I feel he has been carried the past few games. He's gradually going back to the players he had last season which wasn't good enough

Why not, he has been crap this season, and haven't seen him produce anything in the championship to merit automatic inclusion. Has the skills but isn't producing it, anyone else outside of our All ireland heros they would be on the bench

Man Marker

Quote from: rrhf on March 11, 2013, 10:35:37 PM
I think it's very disrespectful to call players the nephew or whatever. Peter is no more a no 11 or 6 than I am though

How is it disrespectful, its factual.

EC Unique

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2013, 11:27:15 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 11, 2013, 10:30:43 PM

Why not, he has been crap this season, and haven't seen him produce anything in the championship to merit automatic inclusion. Has the skills but isn't producing it, anyone else outside of our All ireland heros they would be on the bench

He has been average by his own high standards in some games this year but I think he has had some good spells as well. From memory he had a good game against Down in the first league game and any time I saw him in the McKenna cup he was effective.

He is one of the most talented players on the squad and will def start in the Championship on merit.

rrhf

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2013, 11:28:11 PM
Quote from: rrhf on March 11, 2013, 10:35:37 PM

How is it disrespectful, its factual.
I actually thought Pete had a sound game V Donegal.  But I am disappointed with all the hype here based on Mc Kenna cup and league and after playing a Donegal team that were on half battery.  Hype and blowing up our chances and being all over the papers every day does not a focussed approach make. 

Fuzzman

Lads lads. Calm down calm down

I think it was important to get 2013 off to a good start and so winning the McKenna cup and first 3 league games was important.
Yes at home to the high flying Dubs will be tough but we've only had one bad performance really so far. Is that fair to say?

Petey certainly hasn't pushed on the way we all had hoped but he's still young and from an early age he was probably targeted as a man to man mark and take out of games and so his confidence perhaps has suffered cos of that. I don't know for sure.
I think he will come good again as he shows in little spurts sometimes. I still thing wing half back will give him more freedom though to push forward and not be so well marshalled.

I think we'll give the Dubs a good game and after last Sunday they think they're untouchable again with the usual Dubs hype back in full swing.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: rrhf on March 12, 2013, 12:00:27 PM

I actually thought Pete had a sound game V Donegal.  But I am disappointed with all the hype here based on Mc Kenna cup and league and after playing a Donegal team that were on half battery.  Hype and blowing up our chances and being all over the papers every day does not a focussed approach make.

I agree rrhf but that's the nature of sports fans and GAA fans in particular in my opinion. To be honest I find it a little strange that you complain about people hyping Tyrone on the basis of the McKenna Cup and 3 league games yet you said that the team were "found out" after their first defeat in 9 games! That's one extreme to the other. In reality there are a lot of new players on the panel - and some older ones who are looking for proper spell of games following injuries - and it's very much a work in progress. They weren't world beaters after winning the McKenna Cup and the first 3 league games, and neither can they be written off after one poor performance. Staying in Division 1 and blooding new players with an eye on a settled team for the championship was surely the aim and this stage we are doing pretty well in that respect.

I was glad to see Coney and Ronan O'Neill getting a chance at the weekend and I hope we see more of them and of McCurry in the remaining league games. I believe we have the basis of a solid team and some new faces have shown well. There is a need for scoring forwards and the 3 players I mentioned have the potential to sort that, let's hope that with a bit of game time that they can push on.

Regarding players not on the panel, I think the panel needed freshening up and I think it has helped greatly. I am sure the door is not closed however to any player who is playing well and working hard. We have after all already seen Cassidy return this season. Must say I would be interested in another chance for Raymie Mulgrew too if we was playing well for his club, a class act who if fit and on form would be worth another chance.

3 wins from 4 though - I think we would all have settled for that a few weeks ago.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 12, 2013, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: rrhf on March 12, 2013, 12:00:27 PM

I agree rrhf but that's the nature of sports fans and GAA fans in particular in my opinion. To be honest I find it a little strange that you complain about people hyping Tyrone on the basis of the McKenna Cup and 3 league games yet you said that the team were "found out" after their first defeat in 9 games! That's one extreme to the other. In reality there are a lot of new players on the panel - and some older ones who are looking for proper spell of games following injuries - and it's very much a work in progress. They weren't world beaters after winning the McKenna Cup and the first 3 league games, and neither can they be written off after one poor performance. Staying in Division 1 and blooding new players with an eye on a settled team for the championship was surely the aim and this stage we are doing pretty well in that respect.

I was glad to see Coney and Ronan O'Neill getting a chance at the weekend and I hope we see more of them and of McCurry in the remaining league games. I believe we have the basis of a solid team and some new faces have shown well. There is a need for scoring forwards and the 3 players I mentioned have the potential to sort that, let's hope that with a bit of game time that they can push on.

Regarding players not on the panel, I think the panel needed freshening up and I think it has helped greatly. I am sure the door is not closed however to any player who is playing well and working hard. We have after all already seen Cassidy return this season. Must say I would be interested in another chance for Raymie Mulgrew too if we was playing well for his club, a class act who if fit and on form would be worth another chance.

3 wins from 4 though - I think we would all have settled for that a few weeks ago.

Good post which I agree with. We're certainly no world beaters but things are coming along rightly. Would be concerned if we got a hammering this week and put in another poor display but I'm hoping for a bit of a reaction. The team will have to be prepared to work their socks of to get anything from this. I'd like to see a team like this out:
Morgan
McCrory
Clarke (doubt he'll play with the u21's coming up)
Gormley
Harte
Justy
McNamee
Joe McMahon
Cassidy
Mattie Donnelly
S Cavanagh
Penrose
Coney (wouldn't be disappointed with McAliskey either)
O'Neill
Mark Donnelly

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 12, 2013, 02:11:40 PM
I think we'll give the Dubs a good game and after last Sunday they think they're untouchable again with the usual Dubs hype back in full swing.

I can't imagine that any Dublin fan is getting carried away. No one should take Tyrone lightly. They are a far superior team to a very average top 10 team like Kildare.