The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: yellowcard on April 12, 2017, 04:25:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2017, 01:06:45 PM
Jesus this Sergio/Harrington row is getting worse at this stage. Why do people keep asking Harrington about it and why does he keep answering? He's making a dick out of himself at this stage all he should say is it's not important Sergio played well and fully deserves his major and that would have been the end of it!

I would say the exact opposite. He is answering the question as honestly as he can instead of putting on an act for the cameras. God knows we have enough cliche ridden mundane sports stars in the media, Harrington was a breath of fresh air.
He's in danger in looking like a pathetic bearer of grudges. I remember listening to an interview with him (could have been An Irishman Abroad) and there definitely seemed to be a streak of pettiness within his character.

magpie seanie

I thought Harrington's commentary was brilliant during the Masters. I don't see what the fuss is about regarding him and Garcia not getting on. What's he supposed to say when asked about it? If he says "I don't want to talk about it" it actually makes it a bigger issue that what he did - tell the truth. People shouldn't be afraid to tell the truth so fair play Padraig.

Applesisapples

Who actually cares about a spat between two multimillionaire sports stars over something petty. I love golf but some people slow the game down so much, and both Garcia (especially on the back 9 on Sunday) and Harrington are culprits. If they were out on a Saturday in front of you you'd be ringing the pro shop.

Puckoon

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 13, 2017, 04:28:01 PM
Who actually cares about a spat between two multimillionaire sports stars over something petty. I love golf but some people slow the game down so much, and both Garcia (especially on the back 9 on Sunday) and Harrington are culprits. If they were out on a Saturday in front of you you'd be ringing the pro shop.

Nonsense. Last second free to win the AIF wouldn't be rushed either. If you're positioned enough to be in the last pairing on a tournament Sunday - you get carte blanche to take your time.

Harrington is definitely as slow as molasses though. I think Sergio called him the Handbrake once.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Puckoon on April 13, 2017, 05:18:10 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 13, 2017, 04:28:01 PM

Nonsense. Last second free to win the AIF wouldn't be rushed either. If you're positioned enough to be in the last pairing on a tournament Sunday - you get carte blanche to take your time.

Harrington is definitely as slow as molasses though. I think Sergio called him the Handbrake once.
No your not, it was mentioned on Sky a couple of times that Sergio was delibertly slowing things between tees as Rose had momentum. The same rules of playing at an acceptable speed apply in Pro Golf. I have seen players being put on the clock before.

Puckoon

No harm to you but that wasn't mentioned on any international broadcast and I've seen nothing of it on any golf related website or piece of news. Surprise surprise that a British Broadcaster might suggest that....

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the last group on a major Sunday aren't going to slow it down If one of them are in contention. Like you said, the clock exists... how many final round pairings do you recall being put on the clock?

Gabriel_Hurl

Not a major - but Stenson was put on the clock in the final round of the Bay Hill in 2015 and he was in the last group

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/henrik-stenson-upset-after-being-put-clock-bay-hill

Puckoon

Fair enough Gabe, there's an example. Reading the article he wasn't best pleased!

I still maintain they weren't going to say a peep to either of them at the masters

Applesisapples

Quote from: Puckoon on April 14, 2017, 03:23:02 PM
Fair enough Gabe, there's an example. Reading the article he wasn't best pleased!

I still maintain they weren't going to say a peep to either of them at the masters
And Sky expressed surprise at this. I recall Speech being put on the clock and warned at a PGA event.

Minder

Day is one of the worst offenders
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Paul Dunne on course for his first tour win. 1 shot clear with 3 to play.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Into a playoff with Molinari.

laoislad

Lost on the first playoff hole. Pity.

Hardy

Good effort. God he's slow!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: laoislad on April 16, 2017, 06:40:34 PM
Lost on the first playoff hole. Pity.

Him and Power often start well only to fall back.  Dunne would have won this time but for Molinaris amazing last 2 holes in regular play. Shame bit of luck needed.