Ophelia

Started by J70, October 12, 2017, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

Quote from: sid waddell on October 19, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 01:50:14 PM

So I would certainly be in favour of those putting themselves deliberately in harms way, particularly for recreational purposes, would be charged the cost of the emergency services coming out to rescue or remove them.
What's "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way?"

Is playing hurling "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way"?

Putting yourself on a pitch with 29 other people frantically swinging big sticks definitely sounds like "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way" to me. And for recreational purposes, too.

what a stupid ignoramus
cccc is a true supporter lol

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 02:20:38 PM
JoG2,

Yes, I understand that. But my view on that was that not only are the conditions perilous, but the high winds make it perilous for others who might have to come and rescue you. So it's not just about you doing something dangerous, it's about you potentially getting someone else do do something dangerous to help you. I think it shows a bit of disregard for others.

In the normal course of events, Extreme Sports are not banned, so there is an acceptance that some lunatics (:) ) might have to be rescued, but at least the conditions for the rescue itself are not necessarily as dangerous as last Monday.

I suppose I'm trying to see this through the extreme folks eyes. They'd have read the charts and seen that the east coast was fairly hairy, but nothing worse than many other days on the coast up until late afternoon when the storm kicks in a bit more. You'd be fairly certain no-one would have ventured in down in West Cork at dawn.

armaghniac

There is lot of bollix in this thread.
There is difference between ban all activities with any risk and for one day in 50 years let's not do things that might put the rescue services under pressure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on October 19, 2017, 02:35:29 PM
There is difference between ban all activities with any risk and for one day in 50 years let's not do things that might put the rescue services under pressure.

You'd imagine a bit of cop on would come into play, especially when the red warning was in place.

Orchard park

Quote from: Rawhide on October 19, 2017, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 19, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2017, 01:50:14 PM

So I would certainly be in favour of those putting themselves deliberately in harms way, particularly for recreational purposes, would be charged the cost of the emergency services coming out to rescue or remove them.

What's "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way?"

Is playing hurling "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way"?

Putting yourself on a pitch with 29 other people frantically swinging big sticks definitely sounds like "deliberately putting yourself in harm's way" to me. And for recreational purposes, too.

what a stupid ignoramus

coming from the creator of the tony keady widow post nothing surprises me

Hardy

It's just a microcosm of every other thread on this site and of internet "discussions" in general. AZOffaly's post (#248) is all that needs to be said about this subject by anyone who is reasonable and thoughtful.

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2017, 02:33:30 PM
JoG2,

Yes, I understand that. But my view on that was that not only are the conditions perilous, but the high winds make it perilous for others who might have to come and rescue you. So it's not just about you doing something dangerous, it's about you potentially getting someone else do do something dangerous to help you. I think it shows a bit of disregard for others.

In the normal course of events, Extreme Sports are not banned, so there is an acceptance that some lunatics (:) ) might have to be rescued, but at least the conditions for the rescue itself are not necessarily as dangerous as last Monday.

I suppose I'm trying to see this through the extreme folks eyes. They'd have read the charts and seen that the east coast was fairly hairy, but nothing worse than many other days on the coast up until late afternoon when the storm kicks in a bit more. You'd be fairly certain no-one would have ventured in down in West Cork at dawn.

You'd have to assume that if they read the charts, they'd also have been aware of the warnings.  The fact that it was going to get a hell of a lot worse in the afternoon was no surprise to anyone.

mouview

Couldn't these people be charged / detained for failing to obey the directions of the Gardai?

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on October 19, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
JoG2,

You'd have to assume that if they read the charts, they'd also have been aware of the warnings.  The fact that it was going to get a hell of a lot worse in the afternoon was no surprise to anyone.

exactly, he did read and understand the charts. Sure the surfer himself says 'to put the picture in context it was taken at 1:30pm before the wind picked up before the hurricane hit Dublin'. He was home and hosed before the hurricane hit

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on October 19, 2017, 03:04:26 PM

It's just a microcosm of every other thread on this site and of internet "discussions" in general. AZOffaly's post (#248) is all that needs to be said about this subject by anyone who is reasonable and thoughtful.

Not too many like that.

Franko

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2017, 03:36:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 19, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
JoG2,

exactly, he did read and understand the charts. Sure the surfer himself says 'to put the picture in context it was taken at 1:30pm before the wind picked up before the hurricane hit Dublin'. He was home and hosed before the hurricane hit

Understood, but this went against all warnings and advice issued by the authorities.   On any other day things may indeed be a bit 'hairy' but nobody has been explicitly warned not to venture into the water.  The warning applied all day to the best of my knowledge.

ONeill

Sure what would you know.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2017, 04:40:28 PM

Not too many like that.
It's good of you to anoint yourselves as the reasonable and thoughtful ones.

Dougal Maguire

So this storm's still raging
Careful now

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on October 19, 2017, 09:22:51 PM

Sure what would you know.

Shrup ye bollocks.