Mayweather v Mc Gregor

Started by Targetman, June 14, 2017, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

NetNitrate

All this needs is a fat arsed Kardashian parading around telling us what round it is.

stew

Quote from: snoopdog on June 16, 2017, 07:58:55 PM
Roll up roll up a circus. There will be plenty of fools to pay for this Nd bank roll these 2 arrogant pricks. Best of luck Floyd knock him out

Like he knocks out his women????

f**k Floyd, I read a lot about him and his form today, there are few worse individuals than this piece of filth, suddenly I am a McGregor fan but still think the wife beater will win this at a time of his own choosing unless ht efix is in like it was with Ali and that Japanese wrestler back in the day, I think that farce ended in a draw.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2017, 03:02:13 PM
watch the video of McGregor on the late late show 4 years ago - he made it to the UFC on a $20K to fight $20K to win contract, added some bonuses along the way...three years later he was the FW Champion of the World and the highest paid man on the roster....since then he added the LW title and made the Forbes Top 25 richest athletes....from the dole to that in about 4 years? And he's looking at in the region of $100million for this fight, a fight he talked himself in to.
I can only tip my hat to him.... I'll pay for the PPV - he deserves it. He'll more than likely be destroyed. But he doesn't care and neither do I...

+1

It's a remarkable story. He not only talked his way into it, he managed to sell it to the Floyd Mayweather and the world. Saw a tweet from McGregor from 3 years ago (I think) which simply said "Get in. Get rich. Get out."   That's exactly what's he done.

I have to admit I didn't think this fight would come to pass ... thought that both fighters were happy to just be talked about, remaining current (more so Mayweather) and keeping the sponsorship deals intact. There is still a bit of me thinks it won't happen, some last minute injury putting the spoilers on it. Just seems ridiculous a guy who hasn't boxed professionally fighting Floyd Mayweather.  Not sure how this can be regarded as Mayweather's 50th fight.  Seems a bit of a fraudulent way to eclipse Marciano's record.

The timing of this is genius by Mayweather promotions / Showtime TV it completely overshadows two massive boxing fights.  Kovalev fights Andre Ward in a rematch of what was an extremely tight first fight this weekend ... nobody is talking about it.  A few weeks after Mayweather vs McGregor is due to take place the biggest fight in boxing is taking place ... Golovkin vs Alvarez and once again no one is talking about it.  De la Hoya and HBO are livid, that's the real reason De la Hoya has been so critical of this fight.

Saw a recent post saying that it would need a strong undercard ... nonsense.  The main fight breaks PPV records by itself when that happens no one cares about the undercard.  Can anyone remember who the undercard was for Pacquiao vs Mayweather ? As for Mayweather promotions looking to get Paddy Barnes on the undercard lol ... unless he is renewing his Olympics spat with Rory McIlroy and fighting him I can't see it happening.  Maybe Mayweather promotions will look to get big Martin Rogan on the bill instead ...

Iceman - what's your take on the McGregor having to put on 10 oz gloves ... surely that's a world of difference from UFC mitts and will nullify his power ?

Do you think McGregor would be able to last the 12 rounds ?

The bookmakers odds seem to be tightening all the time.  Some bookies have McGregor as short as 4/1 and as the hype train goes full steam as August 26th gets closer I think those odds will shorten.  I don't know how anyone could touch McGregor at 40/1. People talk about anyone in a ring can have a puncher's chance but forget about Buster Douglas, if this fight does actually happens and McGregor gets his hand raised it would have to be the biggest upset of all time.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

ONeill

Mayweather will make sure it lasts 12 rounds. Complete farce. Any other analysis is a waste of time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Floyd is 40 years old and not a heavy puncher in the least. Reflexes fade even in the great boxers. McGregor will have a huge size and power advantage. There's plenty there to chew on, O'Neill.

rrhf

Youse know fcuk all about boxing.

LCohen

The whole thing seems to revolve around the hype about the hype.

Few talking about what a great boxing match this will be (not surprising one guy is 40 and pops in and out of the game if there is a big pay and the other isn't a boxer)

The focus seems to be to hype this up because the hype is going to be great.

For sporting relevance this is nothing

When Audley Harrison hugged his way through his final bouts, didn't get hit but got to cash his big cheques I can't recall anyone saying he played a blinder or that the events had anything to do with sport

BennyHarp

Quote from: LCohen on June 17, 2017, 06:55:17 AM
The whole thing seems to revolve around the hype about the hype.

Few talking about what a great boxing match this will be (not surprising one guy is 40 and pops in and out of the game if there is a big pay and the other isn't a boxer)

The focus seems to be to hype this up because the hype is going to be great.

For sporting relevance this is nothing

When Audley Harrison hugged his way through his final bouts, didn't get hit but got to cash his big cheques I can't recall anyone saying he played a blinder or that the events had anything to do with sport

This was Audley's final fight. https://youtu.be/K4HEsgUVli0
That was never a square ball!!

JimStynes

A 40 year old Mayweather will still beat most of the current world champs at his weight class never mind a novice boxer ffs. An amateur Irish champion would beat McGregor. It's a farce of a boxing match but the wind ups and press conferences will be hilarious. I can't say fair played to McGregor enough, such an amazing story.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on June 17, 2017, 12:47:55 AM
Floyd is 40 years old and not a heavy puncher in the least. Reflexes fade even in the great boxers. McGregor will have a huge size and power advantage. There's plenty there to chew on, O'Neill.

He is not a heavy puncher against other world class punchers. He will be a heavy puncher against an untrained novice. McGregor will never have been hit by the likes of the punches he'll ship in this fight.

Similarly McGregor's power will be negated by multiple factors. 10oz gloves. Floyd's defence. Floyd's chin. Oh and yeah, the fact that he won't be able to lay a glove on him.

Anything can happen of course, but there is no rational reason to believe anything other than Floyd ends this fight as and when he wants.

Wildweasel74

McGregor was  huffing and puffing after the 2nd round against Diaz who beat the head of him with long range basic punching, so how will be be fit enough to last 36mins, training for boxing is a totally different type to UFC training.

The boxing association and promotion who has cleared this fight should be ashamed of themselves, its the deathnell for boxing all for 2 greedy pricks and their hanger ons

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 17, 2017, 09:52:19 AM
McGregor was  huffing and puffing after the 2nd round against Diaz who beat the head of him with long range basic punching, so how will be be fit enough to last 36mins, training for boxing is a totally different type to UFC training.

Different sport, different cardio requirements. The grappling involved is exhausting. He went 5 rounds with him a few months later.

DuffleKing

Anyone who is trying to convince themselves there is any way this will be a contest have no clue about the sport of boxing.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on June 17, 2017, 12:47:55 AM

Npthing has shown Mayweather has lost his elusiveness, he will not hurt McGregor unduly however he will school him and win the fight.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.