Manchester Arena

Started by Dougal Maguire, May 22, 2017, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 24, 2017, 09:04:25 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 23, 2017, 10:54:01 PM
The Uk has missed the point the past number of years, worrying about a possible threat from incoming immigrants when the threat is more profound in the home grown extremists born already in the country who have their minds easily twisted buying into radical islam. Again this man was know to police but what facilities they have to counter these threats is unknown, You think they spend more money on counter terrorism than buying new nuclear submarines.

Was this guy known to police?? I read that he wasn't
I heard this morning that he was "on a list", so he was known. The implication was he wasn't seen as an imminent risk. However, in the same piece it was stated that he had recently started to behave differently, e.g. praying in the street, and so it was suggested that the authorities' view on him should have been different. Easy to say after the event I suppose.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on May 24, 2017, 09:35:41 AM
It takes some serious brainwashing to make a young British lad strap a load of homemade explosives to himself and walk into a crowd of youngsters coming out of a concert and I'm not sure I could ever comprehend what sort of religious indoctrination could achieve that, but somehow it has to horrendous effect now in Manchester and various other European cities.
I'm not sure how you could possibly defend against the likes of that now or in the future and I think a different approach may need to be taken.
Things don't happen in a vacuum, so what are the triggers for these young receptive lads willing to get involved in such things, disaffection with their own lives in Europe, a bond with their Muslim brothers in other war zones or whatever, the questions need to be asked as churning out the same shite of interning all Muslim extremists and so forth is more than likely counterproductive.

It must also be put in context where we in the West are rightfully aghast by this, but stuff like this is happening day and daily in Syria, Libya, Yemen and we in the West can ignore it, but its every bit as bad, just out of eyesight. Libya in particular is a mess of European making.
We watch Trump, Cameron and Co traipsing round the Middle East selling billions of dollars of arms to governments with less than exemplary human rights records and with the Saudi's having close links to ISIS/Daesh/ISIL it sometimes beggars belief, are we making a rod for our own backs?

Correct
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Taylor

How many of these type of guys are actually on the 'list'?

It must be massive and where do you even start to monitor all of them - nightmare scenario.

Is really must be a needle in a haystack and someone will always slip through.

Born and raised in Britain by immigrant parents - will raise the question again of allowing immigrants in - too late now with many already radicalised.

Heartbreaking

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Taylor on May 24, 2017, 09:59:34 AM
How many of these type of guys are actually on the 'list'?

It must be massive and where do you even start to monitor all of them - nightmare scenario.

Is really must be a needle in a haystack and someone will always slip through.

Born and raised in Britain by immigrant parents - will raise the question again of allowing immigrants in - too late now with many already radicalised.

Heartbreaking

Seems as if  British security has learned lessons from quantamino and interment here in the 70s
If every suspect ( some harmless ) is rounded up and detained then it only fuels the flames
It's a difficult situation to handle

Maroon Manc

Its tragic, very hard to concentrate and get on with life yesterday when it happens in the City where I was born and haved lived in all my life. Seeing the posts on facebook from nurses I know who work in the local hospitals would reduce you to tears, bodies so badly damaged  that they can't identify them, a father who is paralysed from the neck down and so many more who've lost limbs.  A huge football match tonight which really does pale into insignificance.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 24, 2017, 10:37:14 AM
Its tragic, very hard to concentrate and get on with life yesterday when it happens in the City where I was born and haved lived in all my life. Seeing the posts on facebook from nurses I know who work in the local hospitals would reduce you to tears, bodies so badly damaged  that they can't identify them, a father who is paralysed from the neck down and so many more who've lost limbs.  A huge football match tonight which really does pale into insignificance.

I agree MM and my heart really goes out to the people over in your tremendous city. I can't look at the pictures of the victims, I'm so upset already.

Fuzzman

Back to the original topic and I see there are still 8 people missing after the explosion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/23/pls-help-frantic-parents-hunt-missing-kids-manchester-concert/

Armamike

Very very sad.  Heart goes out to the families and the city of Manchester. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

north_antrim_hound

It's heartbreaking to read the reality in detail
Thought and prayers with the families and the people of Manchester
The match tonight will be the first opportunity to show resilience even with the sense of loss and despair

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2017, 11:45:38 AM
Back to the original topic and I see there are still 8 people missing after the explosion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/23/pls-help-frantic-parents-hunt-missing-kids-manchester-concert/

I lived I Manchester for over 11 years until this Feb and still have very good friends there. I was chatting to one yesterday after she got back from the vigil. She was saying some people think there may have been people with ill intent in the aftermath of the bombs knocking about. With los of people doing very noble acts such as taxiing youngsters around and home, some people wonder if a minority of the people helping didn't have such good intentions and may have taken advantage of the situation.
I really hope its not true and people are putting 1 and 1 together and coming up with 764.

tonto1888

I hear what youre saying. I still feel very connected to Manchester and I cant concentrate at work for thinking about it

Fuzzman

Lads, can you just stop with the IRA discussion and open a new thread if you want to continue.

Some of us are talking about those who died or are so badly injured that they can't be identified as Maroon Manc has said.
That is just so terrible and would explain why some are presumed missing. I presume they haven't let family members of missing people in to try to identify them or  it would be too disturbing.

Hopefully Tonto your point of some of them being taken away is not true though the thought did cross my mind yesterday.
It's probably just too early for the really badly hurt who are dismembered to be dealt with just yet as they are probably in a very bad way.
Can't imagine what it is like for parents of a missing child to have the hope that they'e still alive but God knows how badly hurt they are.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2017, 01:02:15 PM
Lads, can you just stop with the IRA discussion and open a new thread if you want to continue.

Some of us are talking about those who died or are so badly injured that they can't be identified as Maroon Manc has said.
That is just so terrible and would explain why some are presumed missing. I presume they haven't let family members of missing people in to try to identify them or  it would be too disturbing.

Hopefully Tonto your point of some of them being taken away is not true though the thought did cross my mind yesterday.
It's probably just too early for the really badly hurt who are dismembered to be dealt with just yet as they are probably in a very bad way.
Can't imagine what it is like for parents of a missing child to have the hope that they'e still alive but God knows how badly hurt they are.

I hope so too. I hope its just people thinking the worst at this awful time

Fuzzman

Yeah Olivia Campbell has been found and sadly she's dead.
From what I can make out she went with a friend who is also badly injured but not her boyfriend who she had texted 30 mins before the blast.

Still 7 people missing. Hopefully they will soon all be accounted for.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: AQMP on May 23, 2017, 11:35:20 AM
Thon attention seeker Katie Hopkins has been reported to police for this tweet:

"22 dead – number rising. Schofield. Don't you even dare. Do not be part of the problem. We need a final solution. #Machester (sic)".

It was edited shortly afterwards.

An Oxygen thief
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience