Started by Dougal Maguire, May 22, 2017, 11:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Buttofthehill on May 23, 2017, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2017, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2017, 01:18:18 PM
I agree J70 life has to go on but the difference with this attack is that it seems to have been purposely directed at kids and teenagers which they know will have more impact on how people react to the terror.

Kids are a lot more vulnerable than adults and you would imagine that parents will now really worry about sending their kids out to events like this in the future. If you have kids would you be happy to send your teenage daughters or sons to a gig in NYC this weekend or would you think twice now?

Do you see much security on the streets in New York these days or after events like this in Europe?
Do you think much about terrorism in your normal week?

My kids are very young.

However, I'm not going to stop taking them to the American Museum of Natural History or the various zoos or parks or malls we regularly visit on the miniscule chance that that particular moment and place would be the target of a terrorist attack. If it ever gets to that point, I'd move away from the city, as one of the main reasons for persisting in such a place is the cultural aspects on offer, whether museums or concerts or restaurants or whatever. Its not the appalling traffic, crowds and cost of living, that's for sure!

With respect to everyday safeguards and security, bag and car checks are a routine fact of life going into many places, but again, there is only so much that will stop. I'd expect there were checks going into the Manchester Arena last night, which was why the terrorist detonated the bomb where he did.

Several woman interviewed complained their bags were never checked at all.

Surprised at that as I have visited that arena on more than dozen occasions the security going in was top notch. Not much can they do when some nut job wanders into the railway station and blows himself up as thousands are leaving the arena.

I fear a premier league match will be the next target. RIP to all thoses that lost their lives last night.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about something happening at Croker. I've been searched once or twice going to the Hill but nothing elsewhere. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Words can't do justice to what I feel about last night. RIP to all.

Does anybody honestly think this kind of attack would happen in Ireland??

tyronefan

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 23, 2017, 04:47:33 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on May 23, 2017, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2017, 01:58:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 23, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 23, 2017, 01:33:39 PM
I agree J70 life has to go on but the difference with this attack is that it seems to have been purposely directed at kids and teenagers which they know will have more impact on how people react to the terror.

Kids are a lot more vulnerable than adults and you would imagine that parents will now really worry about sending their kids out to events like this in the future. If you have kids would you be happy to send your teenage daughters or sons to a gig in NYC this weekend or would you think twice now?

Do you see much security on the streets in New York these days or after events like this in Europe?

My kids are very young.

However, I'm not going to stop taking them to the American Museum of Natural History or the various zoos or parks or malls we regularly visit on the miniscule chance that that particular moment and place would be the target of a terrorist attack. If it ever gets to that point, I'd move away from the city, as one of the main reasons for persisting in such a place is the cultural aspects on offer, whether museums or concerts or restaurants or whatever. Its not the appalling traffic, crowds and cost of living, that's for sure!

With respect to everyday safeguards and security, bag and car checks are a routine fact of life going into many places, but again, there is only so much that will stop. I'd expect there were checks going into the Manchester Arena last night, which was why the terrorist detonated the bomb where he did.

Several woman interviewed complained their bags were never checked at all.

Surprised at that as I have visited that arena on more than dozen occasions the security going in was top notch. Not much can they do when some nut job wanders into the railway station and blows himself up as thousands are leaving the arena.

I fear a premier league match will be the next target. RIP to all thoses that lost their lives last night.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about something happening at Croker. I've been searched once or twice going to the Hill but nothing elsewhere. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Words can't do justice to what I feel about last night. RIP to all.

Does anybody honestly think this kind of attack would happen in Ireland??
Yes i do especially when Ireland has already got a warned it is an Al Qaeda target for letting US military jets use Shannon

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tyronefan on May 23, 2017, 05:03:09 PM
Omagh!!!!!

I'm hardly talking about that  :o

I mean an Islamic terrorist attack.

Fuzzman

23 YEARS OLD SALMAN ABEDI, LIBYAN MIGRANT KNOWN TO AUTHORITIES

theticklemister

I stayed in a hotel on the same street last month where the Berlin attack happened (6 months previous). There were a serious loads of cops there at the market; plus boulders all around the place.

30mog

I'm a fairly unique type.  I'm a born and bred Sheffield bloke.  But like watching GAA.  I've turned up at games from Manchester to Cork and few places in between as a lone traveller with a Yorkshire (or anywhere English) accent.  I've met people who call the GAA an anti-English faction.  I say very pro-Irish needn't mean anti-anywhere.  I come along to games for no other reason than to watch what I think are two great sports.  That said, I would never risk waving a Union Jack or even St.George cross at a venue.  But eh.  It would be greatly noticed if in view of what happened in Manchester last night there was some kind of solidarity gesture towards the victims, if not all Britain, at upcoming GAA games.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 23, 2017, 05:35:23 PM
23 YEARS OLD SALMAN ABEDI, LIBYAN MIGRANT KNOWN TO AUTHORITIES

Manchester born the fella was. From a Libyan family

trileacman

Quote from: 30mog on May 23, 2017, 05:50:29 PM
I'm a fairly unique type.  I'm a born and bred Sheffield bloke.  But like watching GAA.  I've turned up at games from Manchester to Cork and few places in between as a lone traveller with a Yorkshire (or anywhere English) accent.  I've met people who call the GAA an anti-English faction.  I say very pro-Irish needn't mean anti-anywhere.  I come along to games for no other reason than to watch what I think are two great sports.  That said, I would never risk waving a Union Jack or even St.George cross at a venue.  But eh.  It would be greatly noticed if in view of what happened in Manchester last night there was some kind of solidarity gesture towards the victims, if not all Britain, at upcoming GAA games.

We had an respectfully observed minutes silence after the 05 London terror attacks in Croker for Tyrone v someone? Was it Armagh in a Ulster final replay?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

To be honest this is not the last attack and the West continues to lose the self styled "war on terror". Until the Middle East is sorted out these will continue in Europe and the west long into the future. I would hope for some intelligent thought on that matter but we'll probably be treated to more of the same, i.e. Stealth bombing a school or arming militias in the hope of inciting civil war.

I mourn the deaths of those children but more so I mourn the neeedless deaths of innocents to come because the west are too stupid/naive/bloodthirsty/ingrained to come up with a solution to the Middle East.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

30mog

I would add.  Didn't attend my 1st GAA game until 2009. 

stew

Quote from: trileacman on May 23, 2017, 06:06:58 PM
To be honest this is not the last attack and the West continues to lose the self styled "war on terror". Until the Middle East is sorted out these will continue in Europe and the west long into the future. I would hope for some intelligent thought on that matter but we'll probably be treated to more of the same, i.e. Stealth bombing a school or arming militias in the hope of inciting civil war.

I mourn the deaths of those children but more so I mourn the neeedless deaths of innocents to come because the west are too stupid/naive/bloodthirsty/ingrained to come up with a solution to the Middle East.
Quote from: 30mog on May 23, 2017, 06:15:41 PM

I would have thought the people in the muddle east would be the ones to sort their own area out!

The yanks need to fack off and leave them to their own devices, as should their allies.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Captain Obvious

seafoid

Quote from: stew on May 23, 2017, 06:36:46 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 23, 2017, 06:06:58 PM

Quote from: 30mog on May 23, 2017, 06:15:41 PM

I would have thought the people in the muddle east would be the ones to sort their own area out!

The yanks need to fack off and leave them to their own devices, as should their allies.
You would have to remove the Zionist influence in DC first. Some people love chaos. As do arms dealers.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU