Eamon McGee on retiring, mental health struggles and drinking

Started by Real Talker, May 01, 2017, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

Quote from: Taylor on May 11, 2017, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 11, 2017, 06:53:28 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 10, 2017, 03:00:36 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 10, 2017, 12:41:57 PM
what does what county Managers wanting him on their team have to do with whether he was a thug or not as though they are arbiters of Morals within the GAA. Its pretty obvious that many managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win and the Failure of some posters to be able to differentiate between a football foul and a cynical head stamp, knee drop  , finger break etc only encourages this behaviour

Well exactly, you are expanding on the point I was making, managers are not moral guardians of the game which is why every single one of them would pick a player of Ricey's potential every time for their team. You say 'managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win' as if that's a bad thing lol.

And this board isn't the moral guardian of the game either despite the massively overly inflated opinion some posters have of it's importance in the whole Gaa scheme of things.

It is a bad thing. The win at any cost mentality means managers such as Mickey Harte happily select, defend and possibly even encourage players who engage in despicable behaviour.

Some people are happy with this situation because it means they might win something. Personally I find it abhorrent.

Poor Mickey gets it again.

You would think Tyrone were the dirtiest team of all team and we were the only purveyors of the dark arts.

High profile teams always get a worse press

Tyrone are certainly not the only purveyors of the dark arts. I was merely using Harte as an example since he is a high profile manager who seems to condone inexcusable behaviour from his players.

Taylor

Quote from: The Stallion on May 11, 2017, 06:23:52 PM
what does what county Managers wanting him on their team have to do with whether he was a thug or not as though they are arbiters of Morals within the GAA. Its pretty obvious that many managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win and the Failure of some posters to be able to differentiate between a football foul and a cynical head stamp, knee drop  , finger break etc only encourages this behaviour

Well exactly, you are expanding on the point I was making, managers are not moral guardians of the game which is why every single one of them would pick a player of Ricey's potential every time for their team. You say 'managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win' as if that's a bad thing lol.

And this board isn't the moral guardian of the game either despite the massively overly inflated opinion some posters have of it's importance in the whole Gaa scheme of things.

It is a bad thing. The win at any cost mentality means managers such as Mickey Harte happily select, defend and possibly even encourage players who engage in despicable behaviour.

Some people are happy with this situation because it means they might win something. Personally I find it abhorrent.

You would think Tyrone were the dirtiest team of all team and we were the only purveyors of the dark arts.

Tyrone are certainly not the only purveyors of the dark arts. I was merely using Harte as an example since he is a high profile manager who seems to condone inexcusable behaviour from his players.

How do you know he does that?

A good manager will always protect his players outwardly - behind closed doors you have no idea what he says

rosnarun

Quote from: rosnarun on May 11, 2017, 10:36:08 AM

not over inflated, this is a forum to express our opinions on the state of the game and performances. A lot of people here would share your view but then have a breaking point such as the Cavanagh incident and every goes moral all of a sudden .
when something  is wrong it should be called wrong. but equally not all wrong carry the same weight and they are some nasty dangerous players out there who need to be Called out.
]
you do have a point all cynical fouls are the same really BUT  Cavanagh's tackle was just so blatant with absolutely no other possible outcome other than a foul and free kick ,whereas with a body check the ref may see it as part of the rough and tumble of the game even a punch often ends up in a 'HOP Ball'
Connolly in the league final thought he could get away with an off the ball haul down but  Cavanagh' showed a complete disrespect for the laws and spirit of the game and I think that's why it sticks in the craw more than some other incidents .
and of course the bollix brolly histrionics made it seem like he had shot someone
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Stallion

Quote from: Taylor on May 12, 2017, 09:53:41 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 11, 2017, 06:23:52 PM

How do you know he does that?

A good manager will always protect his players outwardly - behind closed doors you have no idea what he says

My exact words were "seems to".  Although based on the fact he repeatedly selected, defended and praised serial offenders such as McMenamin it's hard to see how someone could argue he doesn't condone such behaviour. If he didn't he would have stopped picking such players.

Taylor

Quote from: rosnarun on May 12, 2017, 10:50:15 AM

not over inflated, this is a forum to express our opinions on the state of the game and performances. A lot of people here would share your view but then have a breaking point such as the Cavanagh incident and every goes moral all of a sudden .
when something  is wrong it should be called wrong. but equally not all wrong carry the same weight and they are some nasty dangerous players out there who need to be Called out.
]
you do have a point all cynical fouls are the same really BUT  Cavanagh's tackle was just so blatant with absolutely no other possible outcome other than a foul and free kick ,whereas with a body check the ref may see it as part of the rough and tumble of the game even a punch often ends up in a 'HOP Ball'
Connolly in the league final thought he could get away with an off the ball haul down but  Cavanagh' showed a complete disrespect for the laws and spirit of the game and I think that's why it sticks in the craw more than some other incidents .
and of course the bollix brolly histrionics made it seem like he had shot someone

Watch the last 5mins of any tight championship game and you will see any number of tackles like Sean's or sometimes worse.

Easy to shoot down a big name

Hardy

Quote from: Taylor on May 12, 2017, 02:21:19 PM

]

Watch the last 5mins of any tight championship game and you will see any number of tackles like Sean's or sometimes worse.

I don't believe you. But I could be wrong, so throw up a few samples there.

tonto1888

Quote from: Taylor on May 12, 2017, 02:21:19 PM

]

The difference being they didn't only happen in the last 5 mins of Tyrone games