Eamon McGee on retiring, mental health struggles and drinking

Started by Real Talker, May 01, 2017, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: Jinxy on May 09, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2017, 12:28:23 PM
God there are some eejits on this board. The rarefied stratosphere of ability and conduct that you attempt to measure amateur players against is frightening.

That McMenamim was a dirty wee hoor and I hated him but by god he was some footballer and some leader on a field. Any county would love to have a guy like that on their team. Mc Gee was neither as dirty or as good but still a great defender.

Lads on here spouting about bad players winning All Irelands, ffs catch yourself on, all that demonstrates is how little you know about the levels of ability and commitment needed to make a county squad.

Speak for yourself.

I will rephrase...

any county manager would love to have a guy like that on their team

Syferus

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2017, 03:11:36 PM
God there are some eejits on this board. The rarefied stratosphere of ability and conduct that you attempt to measure amateur players against is frightening.

That McMenamim was a dirty wee hoor and I hated him but by god he was some footballer and some leader on a field. Any county would love to have a guy like that on their team. Mc Gee was neither as dirty or as good but still a great defender.

Lads on here spouting about bad players winning All Irelands, ffs catch yourself on, all that demonstrates is how little you know about the levels of ability and commitment needed to make a county squad.

Speak for yourself.

I will rephrase...

You think? I can think of a few managers who had enough morals that they'd have detested a player on their team that was up to that shite.

Just because some managers like Jimmy and Harte can easily partition away that behaviour because they think it's the only way they can win don't say everyone is the same.

tonto1888

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 04, 2017, 03:57:12 PM
I would hazard a guess that more than one poster on this thread has confused Eamonn with his brother Neil.
I reckon I'm guilty of that. I dislike both tho. But in the same way at as I am with McMenamin, had they been Armagh me. I'd have lov d them
As for him talking about these topics you ever know who's listening that may be inspired to get help as a result

omaghjoe

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 03, 2017, 09:22:36 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 03, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
McGee gave it out but took it back as well.

You'd swear some of you lads are from counties who have never had a player commit some blackguarding in their career.

+1. I wish we had a few McGees/Riceys/Martin O'Connells/Philly McMahons/Galvins/Lyons/Seán Docs/ P Sés. Lads with a wee bit of thuggery who could play football. Short supply in the Mournes.  :( :( :(

Now maybe but back in the 90s it was rent a thug from 1-9 and there was usually one up front as well for good measure.

5 Sams

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 10, 2017, 04:54:54 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 03, 2017, 09:22:36 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 03, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
McGee gave it out but took it back as well.

You'd swear some of you lads are from counties who have never had a player commit some blackguarding in their career.

+1. I wish we had a few McGees/Riceys/Martin O'Connells/Philly McMahons/Galvins/Lyons/Seán Docs/ P Sés. Lads with a wee bit of thuggery who could play football. Short supply in the Mournes.  :( :( :(

Now maybe but back in the 90s it was rent a thug from 1-9 and there was usually one up front as well for good measure.

Couldn't possibly comment ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Keyser soze

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2017, 06:26:49 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2017, 03:11:36 PM

Speak for yourself.

I will rephrase...

You think? I can think of a few managers who had enough morals that they'd have detested a player on their team that was up to that shite.

Just because some managers like Jimmy and Harte can easily partition away that behaviour because they think it's the only way they can win don't say everyone is the same.

Well sure go on and name them then. Or are u talking through your pipe as usual.

rosnarun

what does what county Managers wanting him on their team have to do with whether he was a thug or not as though they are arbiters of Morals within the GAA. Its pretty obvious that many managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win and the Failure of some posters to be able to differentiate between a football foul and a cynical head stamp, knee drop  , finger break etc only encourages this behaviour 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 01, 2017, 10:07:38 PM
Haven't listened to it yet but the Dubs on Facebook are full of praise for him as he said money has little to do with Dublin's success.
It was this reference to the Dubs that persuaded me to listen to my first ever podcast!

It was only 10 seconds out of the hour, but it was an interesting viewpoint that the Dubs work rate isnt focused on enough when analysing their success. And he picked out Rock, who looked mediocre enough when he first came on the scene and through what can only be a huge amount of hard work has turned himself into one of the most reliable freetakers in the country, probably in the top 5.

But I did really enjoy the rest of the interview, I found McGee very interesting to listen to, and would liked to have heard a lot more. The title of the thread is probably a bit misleading as while mental health and drinking troubles were mentioned, nothing specific was gone into, but his take on football would make me interested in seeking out his columns.

The interviewer is good and has some interesting snippets himself, although maybe 5-10% more speaking time by the interviewee and less by the interviewer would have been a better balance.

Keyser soze

Quote from: rosnarun on May 10, 2017, 12:41:57 PM
what does what county Managers wanting him on their team have to do with whether he was a thug or not as though they are arbiters of Morals within the GAA. Its pretty obvious that many managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win and the Failure of some posters to be able to differentiate between a football foul and a cynical head stamp, knee drop  , finger break etc only encourages this behaviour

Well exactly, you are expanding on the point I was making, managers are not moral guardians of the game which is why every single one of them would pick a player of Ricey's potential every time for their team. You say 'managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win' as if that's a bad thing lol.

And this board isn't the moral guardian of the game either despite the massively overly inflated opinion some posters have of it's importance in the whole Gaa scheme of things.

The Stallion

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 10, 2017, 03:00:36 PM

Well exactly, you are expanding on the point I was making, managers are not moral guardians of the game which is why every single one of them would pick a player of Ricey's potential every time for their team. You say 'managers would be willing to do almost anything in order for their team to win' as if that's a bad thing lol.

And this board isn't the moral guardian of the game either despite the massively overly inflated opinion some posters have of it's importance in the whole Gaa scheme of things.

It is a bad thing. The win at any cost mentality means managers such as Mickey Harte happily select, defend and possibly even encourage players who engage in despicable behaviour.

Some people are happy with this situation because it means they might win something. Personally I find it abhorrent.

Keyser soze

Quote from: The Stallion on May 11, 2017, 06:53:28 AM

It is a bad thing. The win at any cost mentality means managers such as Mickey Harte happily select, defend and possibly even encourage players who engage in despicable behaviour.

Some people are happy with this situation because it means they might win something. Personally I find it abhorrent.

God you are one pompous twat Stallion.

You would think Mickey Harte was organising the systematic extermination of the Kerry people going by some of the comments on here. It's quite obvious a lot of you have never managed a team. And never will.

Taylor

Poor Mickey gets it again.

You would think Tyrone were the dirtiest team of all team and we were the only purveyors of the dark arts.

High profile teams always get a worse press

rosnarun

not over inflated, this is a forum to express our opinions on the state of the game and performances. A lot of people here would share your view but then have a breaking point such as the Cavanagh incident and every goes moral all of a sudden .
when something  is wrong it should be called wrong. but equally not all wrong carry the same weight and they are some nasty dangerous players out there who need to be Called out.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fuzzman

rosnarun, you said when something is wrong we should call it out as wrong.
I started a thread on Lee Keegan and how he continually targets a team's best player and "takes him out of the game".

We've all saw it the last few years but not many neutrals commented on the thread and those that did tended to say it's fair enough and just part of the game.
Sean Cavanagh got slated for that ONE tackle on McManus that most players, managers and even pundits all said they would do the same thing yet I don't see too many slating Keegan, Johnny Cooper, Philly McMahon etc.

There seems to be a tendency to turn a blind eye sometimes by people if they want a certain team to win or if they dislike the other team or individual player. Like for example a lot of people don't like Kieran Donaghy and so ignored the eye gouging incident whereas other times the CCCC would get involved and hand out a huge ban.

As for Stallion's comment about Mickey Harte and Tyrone I chose to ignore it (him AGAIN) as this Tyrone team are very few dirty, tough or rough players any more maybe with the exception of Justy McMahon the very odd time.
As I said years ago, it's the team that are doing well and getting to AI finals and semi finals that you tend to see being involved with unsavoury incidents as there is a lot more at stake.

The Stallion

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 11, 2017, 10:03:13 AM

God you are one pompous twat Stallion.

You would think Mickey Harte was organising the systematic extermination of the Kerry people going by some of the comments on here. It's quite obvious a lot of you have never managed a team. And never will.

Not sure why you resorted to rudeness rather than attempting to debate my comments but I want you to know I bear no ill will towards you despite the lack of manners you displayed.