Catholics make up 78% of free state population.👍👍👍

Started by T Fearon, April 06, 2017, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

A more informative answer might have come from a census question along the lines, "which of the following best defines your cultural identity: the Catholic church, the GAA, Keeping up With the Kardashians, Strictly Come Dancing, Nathan Carter, Manchester United?"

Billys Boots

As usual, I'm struggling to 'belong' to any of those categories, Hardy.  Is there nowhere for cynics? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Hardy on April 14, 2017, 12:09:05 PM
A more informative answer might have come from a census question along the lines, "which of the following best defines your cultural identity: the Catholic church, the GAA, Keeping up With the Kardashians, Strictly Come Dancing, Nathan Carter, Manchester United?"

+1

That's one of my points.

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 14, 2017, 12:13:28 PM
As usual, I'm struggling to 'belong' to any of those categories, Hardy.  Is there nowhere for cynics? 

Sorry, Billy. Revised:
The Catholic church, the GAA, Keeping up With the Kardashians, Strictly Come Dancing, Nathan Carter, Manchester United, mutterers in the garden.

T Fearon

Religious affiliation is not an "identity" or a "culture" it is a universal faith that bestrides many diverse "cultural identities". Bemused once again by those who think the Church should change to become more popular as if it was a commercial outfit.The core beliefs are sacrosanct and cannot be changed as they are scripturally based.

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2017, 04:48:14 PM
Religious affiliation is not an "identity" or a "culture" it is a universal faith that bestrides many diverse "cultural identities". Bemused once again by those who think the Church should change to become more popular as if it was a commercial outfit.The core beliefs are sacrosanct and cannot be changed as they are scripturally based.

So in your view it should just keep on doing whats it has been doing ... raping children & covering it up etc... 

Are you such a fool that you dont know thats why millions (of people who believe in God) have left it .. You're more than "bemused" Im afraid..

T Fearon

Yes the church rapes children every day😫 It is this type of drivel,totally absurd and anti Catholicism that gives this board a bad name.The Church didn't rape children,paedophiles masquerading as priests raped children.In the past this was badly handled,today there are robust procedures in place to identify and weed out paedophiles swiftly.

The Iceman

I think that's a very fair summary.  The Church across the globe has traditionally neglected young adults (18-35) and above.  In my last parish there was a big effort to re-catechize parents.  If you want your kids to have any kind of faith in God it can't be left to teachers or the clergy - it has to start at home and be reinforced in Church and and at school (if they go to a religious affiliated school).

Most adults have left the Church because of the scandals and how they were handled. I get it. But I'll add that a lot didn't. I'd question why they didn't leave and why their faith means enough to them to stay despite the feelings of the overwhelming majority.  I think it's because there wasn't a solid faith there in the first place.  A lot of people were just looking for an excuse to get out and they got it.  I'm not saying there isn't real empathy for the victims of the abuse or real anger at the Church for how it was handled and continues to be handled - but I do think a lot of people wanted out and were given a great opportunity and reason to leave.

Young people are different though. There are young people craving religion.  There are kids in youth groups, church groups, mission trips, service work, all across the country under one faith banner or another - crying out for religion and God.  I have hope that Pope Francis' visit to Ireland will make a difference.  That it will spark a revival or renewal of sorts.  It won't be widespread but every fire starts with a small flame. 

There is a cultural identity to being catholic. I think it was summed up perfectly earlier in the conversation. I don't go to Mass anymore but I hate rangers...
But that's with our generation... there are new Catholics, real Catholics growing up in the faith and living it in the world and they are the future of the Church and will have a place in this country.

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 14, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2017, 07:03:40 AM
78% of the people described themselves as Catholic of their own free will.This demonstrates at least some form of attachment,and provides a solid basis for revival and renewal.

I don't believe there is any hope for a revival and renewal of the Catholic church as it is currently constituted in Ireland.  For the last century it has leaned on the work of the schools to ensure that children are prepared for its sacraments and then largely stood back in the belief that its authority in the country would be enough to enforce its fear driven catechism.  The authority has been totally undermined by the actions of the Church in dealing with those that broke the trust with the people.  While it still maintains a degree of control over its schools in both the North and South and the teachers continue to do their best in sacramental preparation and passing on the faith, parents of school going children for most part have a disconnect with the formal Church.  They will continue to have their children baptised and go along to first confession, first communion and confirmation as a catholic societal norm and not wanting their children to be highlighted if they (the parents) did not conform.  However, the basis to ensure the children build their faith on the sacraments is now almost completely eroded by parents not following up with attendance at Sunday Mass and confession.  Primary school teachers know that the vast majority children preparing sacraments are not attending Mass during sacramental preparation never mind into the future, hence, ,many parishes run 'in memory of me' Masses once per month to encourage children and families preparing for first communion to attend.  Teachers will tell you that many of the children in secondary schools only get to Mass when it is organised by the schools.

In this dire situation for the Church, what is being done?  Virtually nothing.  The disconnect between the Church and young parents and families continues to grow and there is no action at this time to remedy this situation.  Schools rarely have local priests visiting their pupils and if it was not for the work of teachers the faith would already have diminished below levels that would give hope of revival to even Tony Fearon.

So, why do so 'many' register as Catholic in the RoI?  For many it would be similar to them answering a question on whether they belong to or are have a connection to a sporting club or organisation, it is something that many have a connection to and perhaps even a vague loyalty to.  No doubt even more would have said they were Christian rather than Catholic.  People prefer to have an identity and such questions allow them to nail their colours to a mast.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2017, 04:48:14 PM
Religious affiliation is not an "identity"

Okay, the game is up, Tony. We know you're just trolling at this point because nobody could be that stupid. Well played, mate. Well played.

T Fearon

Do you think a Catholic in France shares any identity with one from Ireland?

Avondhu star

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 14, 2017, 12:13:28 PM
Of course there is. They can live with all the other losers and whingers in Misery Land
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2017, 06:03:24 PM

I think the answer is in your question:

Definition of Catholic (theological): claiming to possess exclusively the notes or characteristics of the one, only, true, and universal church having unity, visibility, indefectibility, apostolic succession, universality, and sanctity: used in this sense, with these qualifications, only by the Church of Rome, as applicable only to itself and its adherents and to their faith and organisation.

So, members of the Catholic church completely share their identities as members of the church.

seafoid

There are cultural.similarities . I wouldn't say identity.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Yes.

Next question.