26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

So he says. Wonder has he heard of the national minimum wage, or is it mere pocket money for the plebs?

Rossfan

I'm sure as a committed Christian he will no doubt pay top rates "Do unto others. ...."
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

Good man Tony.

Putting the 'fun' into fundamentalist

mrdeeds

Quote from: T Fearon on December 25, 2017, 11:41:44 AM
Instead of cynicism explain why Jesus came to save sinners and underwent a horrible death if anything goes and God's love is unconditional?

Because the author of the storybook wrote it as that.

seafoid

God only uses shampoo. Unconditioner. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 25, 2017, 10:46:17 AM
It stands to sense if anything goes and God's love is unconditional there would have been no need for Jesus to assume human form to save sinners,or confession or end of life judgement

No part of the whole story "stands to sense" other than the "some bloke two thousand years ago had a lot of intelligent things to say how people should treat each other with respect"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

T Fearon

Yes but why was he here,if not to save sinners from a very bad eternal destiny?

Syferus

Even on Christmas Day this lad can't stop himself from trolling..

playwiththewind1st

As Mud sang:
Oh it'll be lonely this Christmas,
Without you to troll.

T Fearon

Or Slade

"does your granny always tell ya
That the old songs are the best
Then she up and rock and trolling with the rest"

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 25, 2017, 08:53:15 PM
Yes but why was he here,if not to save sinners from a very bad eternal destiny?
Why was who here? The sense talker from Judea two thousand years ago?

Literally no one ever, human or otherwise, has ever been on this planet "to save sinners from a very bad eternal destiny".

Humans are on this planet because their parents pro created and the child survived.

"Sinners" = made up concept

"Eternal destiny" see above.

Love on another. - inspirational genius. In point of fact if you consider the 4 "approved" biographies of the man, Jesus repeatedly points out that the "great commandment" to love one's neighbor as oneself crosses all ethnic and religious barriers, Samaritan ring any bells?

Maybe you should brush up on your reading.

QuoteIn his ministry, Jesus crossed many social barriers as well, mingling with the tax collector, the adulterer, and the prostitute. He warned critics to remember their own imperfections before condemning others and invited those who were wholly without sin to cast the first stone of condemnation. The great commandment is not to judge one's neighbor, for judgment is God's alone, but to love one's neighbor.   

Maybe you should give some of the love you reserve for the 1960s British and your former Portadown neighbours, and bestow it upon those who have found love with someone of the same sex.

T Fearon

Yes love for one's neighbour is one of his commands.But it still does not condone any sins your neighbour might commit.

But the big question is and remains why ultimately was he here,why did he make commands like this,why his death and resurrection....if not to urge people to turn away from sin and repent in preparation for eternity and warn of the dire consequences of failing to do so?

If God was happy clappy and loves everyone no matter what they do,there would have been no need for his Son to come to Earth.

heganboy

So of all of the quite literally infinite possibilities, you're going with:

The entity that created this and all other universes "God" for your purposes decides that of all the life forms in this and all other universes the one that needs "saving" (not guidance btw) is homo sapiens on Earth 2000 years ago.

Not only that but that this all powerful all knowing one decides not only that these humans need saving but that he is going to create a special one who is actually his son to do the job. This infinite being creates his billionth human and whispers to him in the womb saying you are my son, has him born into poverty, where he stays, trains him as a carpenter, communicates with said human regularly, sends him to the desert, has him killed by an occupying force to save your immortal soul, of and only if you believe this story.

Oh and 3days later says never mind, let's go again, raises the poor corpse from the dead, has him do a few months more public appearances, and low and behold has him in his corporeal state fly straight upwards to do a magic trick to announce he has gone to some unspecified piece of sky. Maybe Voyager one will pass the body at some point, or that of the mother, who also did the fly into the sky trick. Was it a one arm Superman bound, incredible hulk type leap? What specifically are the arm movements for ascending?

Your big thought exercise, if I understand you correctly, has brought you to your big question. In reaction to this stupendous (but uncorroborated scientifically) set of circumstances, is not to ponder our place in the universe but rather your big question is
Quote.    Why was he here, why did he make commands like this,why his death and resurrection.

And not only that, your conclusion is that the rather finite and prone to error brains that were given to us 4000 years ago on the 6th day by the aforementioned infinite one were, 2000 years ago, one hundred percent cent correct with their guess. Not only that but how could it possibly be anything other than
Quoteto urge people to turn away from sin and repent in preparation for eternity and warn of the dire consequences of failing to do so?

Are you really saying as per your post, that no other reason could possibly enter your mind, and you are convinced you are correct on this? I would say that the thought exercise involved here is more than a little tenuous, but you do present some supporting evidence, don't you. You do state that the reason for your complete and utter belief is none other than

Quote.
If God was happy clappy and loves everyone no matter what they do,there would have been no need for his Son to come to Earth

I must say with such clarity of vision, and such a logical and emotionally clear set of steps through the process, it is hard for me to figure why their could be any unbelievers out there.

Maybe you could answer a question for me with that same insight and clarity?
How long do you think he (if we're going gender specific on our deities/infinite entities) decides the first lad didn't do a great job of getting the message through, and it might be time to try another approach?

T Fearon

To sum up,I believe the earth was ultimately God's creation.Science increasingly explains how but not why.Some things are simply beyond logic and human understanding.

I like billions of others believe a man died on a cross and then rose from the dead,something no other man or woman has done,and is therefore for me proof of God's existence.

Everyday proof is provided by miracle cures defying all expert medical opinion,ability of priests only to perform exorcisms etc.