Croke Park

Started by Uladh, March 01, 2007, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote to allow Croke Park to become the National Stadium?

Yes
30 (20.4%)
No
117 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 138

stephenite

Quote from: snatter on March 01, 2007, 11:44:21 PM
laois lad,

QuoteQuote
We need one top class venue per province. 40 to 60k, Two thirds seated and covered. we're miles off at the minute

Don't agree with ya there.

you mightn't agree with me, but the GAA does.

The GAA are deadly keen on getting a 40000 + capacity stadium in each province.
For full details read Section 8.4.3 of GAA Strategic Review report

re GAA's stadia requirements:

One 'major' stadium should be developed in each Province with the exception of Leinster; (A 'major' stadium would involve a capacity of 40,000 to 60,000, of which at least two-thirds would be seated and a minimum of 35% of the seats
would be covered.)

The GAA's economic case appears to be backed up by an interim report by Department of Economics University College Cork. see

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/economics/research/workingpapers/03-01.pdf

OK fair enough - but most of the stadiums we have would need some modifications to acheive this. Not the massive amounts of monies that are being discussed, and it's certainly not reason enough to sell off Croker.

I don't really mind if the other sports want to use our stadium on an ongoing basis - keeps the extra revenue flowing in and that can be used to acheive waht you're talking about.
However I firmly reject the notion of selling off this asset and losing control over the management and operation of it. The caveat you mentioned would not last too long I feel.

Anyway as pointed out, would have to pass through congress and they're not going to pass this motion anytime soon

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stephenite on March 01, 2007, 11:24:36 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 01, 2007, 11:20:46 PM
Im sure if it was sold it be named after some corperate comapny like Arsenal have done with the Emirates Stadium
I can see it now Laois v Kerry All Ireland Final 2015 in the British Telecom stadium :-\

Such overkill in order to suit your argument.

I mean Laois in an All Ireland final? ;)

I can't decide which would be worse never getting there or always losing in the Final? ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stephenite

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 01, 2007, 11:53:38 PM
I can't decide which would be worse never getting there or always losing in the Final? ;)

Never getting there - trust me.

The Real Laoislad

Thought you might say that!!!
Most used expression in Laois  "ah sure there's always next year" :'(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

snatter

Stephenite,

QuoteOK fair enough - but most of the stadiums we have would need some modifications to acheive this. Not the massive amounts of monies that are being discussed, and it's certainly not reason enough to sell off Croker.

I'd prefer to see most of the money spent on expansion of GAA into weak areas, new clubs, etc.
but there'd certainly be enough to develop regional stadia in line with the strategic review.

QuoteI don't really mind if the other sports want to use our stadium on an ongoing basis - keeps the extra revenue flowing in and that can be used to acheive waht you're talking about.

Sorry, but I do. The rental we're getting is pathetic when compared against the financial sacrifice and courage the GAA has made in acquiring and rebuilding Croker.
And then when you think thatthe IRFU will make over 10M extra this year from Croker, while we make less than 5M, and still get frozen out of Lansdowne and Tallght.
It makes me pretty pi55ed off.

QuoteAnyway as pointed out, would have to pass through congress and they're not going to pass this motion anytime soon

They said the same about the ban, rule 21, etc.
If such a motion were ever discussed I think the IRFU and Govt would rely on the perceived conservatism of the GAA to maintain the status quo, much to our detriment. Time for the GAA membership to get wise and try and get as much out of the current situation as we can.

stephenite

I understand the reasons you're outlining - and they do make financial sense. I would be against from the point of view of giving up our ability to operate and manage our biggest asset, in our best interests. As above I don't think the caveat mentioned could be enforced long term and would only be a matter of time before other codes take over some of our big days.

It was mentioned above that the club finals should be moved from Croke park to smaller venues - I strongly disagree, Croke Park encapsualtes all that is great about our association - and club final days are one of the few days when club players get to grace the sod - personally speaking I would have been distraught had Brian Ruane our club captain, not been able to receive the Andy Merrigan trophy on the steps of the Hogan.

Moments like that are what make the GAA great, and it would be a sad day if any clubs who had made the All Ireland series were unable to play in Croke Park because of an upcoming game of Rugby. Or if the All Ireland camoige final couldn't be played becuase of a soccer game

realredhandfan

To me GAA is in peoples hearts.  As time passes and we become a mere sporting organisation a la fifa , fai , ifa, irfu and we decide its all about the games and that it, then we cant act outraged when people sugeest perfectly sensical comments in this day and age.  How many GAA folk were walking around last Saturday night with stars in their eyes, proud of their association, proud of the Irish Rugby team and proud because John Inverdale told us to be. Having watched the French game and listened to good friends tell me they wanted the world to see Croke Park I feel cheated, I believe it was the gombeen mindset that opened it,  these guys werent interested in France or USA or Germany seeing Croke Park, in a perverse way they really only weanted to show it off to the English, our vanity made us blind to those who wanted to show Rugby off to the Irish in the best way possible.  We though the GAA was strong enough, it wasnt well maybe oin the balance sheet but not in its principles.    The stadium to many people is their GAA, it meant so much to see the pros last week play on it we were beside ourselves, it vindicated £20 in at Clones 5 years ago for an Ulster championship 1st round, it had been worth it,  We are now accepted.  Im sorry I dont drink from that cup, my GAA runs the best parts of my community, its a world away from Jones Raod,  Croke Park - the stadium built on the ashes of Sackville street is now well and truly concrete and plastic.  The principle are gone now... A final reposte to those that argued that Lesey Corry and co were not the people who carried out atrocities in our country and who still pledge to keep it divided... If that was the casethen what good was served by having them there.  why was the occasion so poignant, so significant if England is still not the enemy of our country.  Have they still not a border in place?   As for GAA PLC We have now had our thrill we congratulated ouselves on being great hosts, What a phenomenal day to be a GAA man,  but that was Rugby you were watching last week lads not Gaelic sports.. What havent you been converted yet? Im sure many of your kids were..

Hardy

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 02, 2007, 08:41:55 AM
I believe it was the gombeen mindset that opened it,  these guys werent interested in France or USA or Germany seeing Croke Park, in a perverse way they really only weanted to show it off to the English, our vanity made us blind to those who wanted to show Rugby off to the Irish in the best way possible.

I envy your insight into the minds of those who were/are in favour of 'opening' Croke Park. I didn't realise that's why I was for it. Thanks for letting me know.

realredhandfan

Admit it Hardy it was more about the plaudits from the likes of Inverdale etc.  We are in an era where people prefer to define themselves by what others think of them than what their own heart tells them..When I think of Sean Kelly, I have more respect for the Davy Tweeds of this world who at least stands for something - even if it is the British anthem.

rosnarun

QuoteThe ones advocating it are the same ones that would sell their Granny.
`

Granny has been lsold already did you miss the closing of the sale last week in the egg chasing contest v the country tat still controls and claims to own six of our counties . My arguement is not economic I am only saying how the bmoney used in the sale of the national stadium can be used to promote the games we are all involved in. 
My arguement is an emotional one. when you have wusses like P clohessy apoligising for people using their free choice to Boo GSTQ you know how far we have been sold down the river by Kelly and  CO
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 02, 2007, 09:26:14 AM
Admit it Hardy it was more about the plaudits from the likes of Inverdale etc.  We are in an era where people prefer to define themselves by what others think of them than what their own heart tells them..When I think of Seán Kelly, I have more respect for the Davy Tweeds of this world who at least stands for something - even if it is the British anthem.

As I said, you're right. I just didn't know what made me do it. Now I know. It's because I want to have John Inverdale's babies. My years of laying out the arguments here about the benefits to the GAA, how we should utilise our assets to the maximum benefit of the association, what we could do with the money, how it would be (IMO) an act of extreme stupidity to turn it down ... that was all just an oul smokescreen. Sean Kelly put us all up to it.  For a knighthood.

Happy now?

(Is Seán Kelly an exception to the laws of libel - people here seem to feel free to say anything they like about him. I think it should stop, myself).

thegael

opening up of croke park has been a disaster for the gaa.

opening up of croke park has had  this result- rugby gains a foothold in the minds of our children to the expense of gaelic games ,opening up of croke park has been a pr matersroke for rugby in its quest to win the heart of our youth.

deiseach

Quote from: thegael on March 02, 2007, 12:15:17 PM

opening up of croke park has had  this result- rugby gains a foothold in the minds of our children to the expense of gaelic games ,opening up of croke park has been a pr matersroke for rugby in its quest to win the heart of our youth.

I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods the children - and remember, We Must Do Everything We Can For The Children - had heard of rugby before the Ireland - France game

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: deiseach on March 02, 2007, 06:57:51 PM

I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods the children - and remember, We Must Do Everything We Can For The Children - had heard of rugby before the Ireland - France game
I agree Deiseach..really some of the shite on this topic...how many kids will be playing rugby come May/June!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 02, 2007, 07:32:02 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 02, 2007, 06:57:51 PM

I agree Deiseach..really some of the shite on this topic...how many kids will be playing rugby come May/June!

'Hearing' of rugby is one thing a chairde, but elevated to such a pre-eminent and prominent position in the psyche of the collective young?... Only time will tell.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...