Cure for HIV found??

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 14, 2010, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteStem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

While Brown is the first person to ever be declared cured of HIV, his case paves a path for constructing a cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.

orangeman

mylestheslasher

Indeed, cue the far right lunatics and the catholic church protesting about it and instead preaching to abstain and leave this evil cure where it is.

The Iceman

Cue Myles making ridiculous claims

Crap you beat me to it......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Oi! Far right lunatics and the catholic church - NO!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on December 14, 2010, 08:40:26 PM

So you support the use of stem cell research to cure one of the biggest killer diseases in the world?

Declan

QuoteIndeed, cue the far right lunatics and the catholic church protesting about it and instead preaching to abstain and leave this evil cure where it is.

Was it embryonic/adult stem cells as I presume that would have some bearing on their comments?

The Iceman

why do you feel the need to turn this into a religion debate Myles.
If people of faith wanted to contribute to the conversation they would.
If they don't then you can always stick your boot in and instigate a comment or two to satisfy your own agenda.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 14, 2010, 08:58:03 PM

So you support the use of stem cell research to cure one of the biggest killer diseases in the world?

Er....... yeah.
Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ziggysego on December 14, 2010, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 14, 2010, 08:58:03 PM

Er....... yeah.

The question was directed at iceman ziggy, not you. You will note I didn't get a "we Yeh" from him. I only bring it up to challenge the religious right with the irony that the cure for the plaque that is hiv has come from research they are totally opposed to.

Tyrones own

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 14, 2010, 08:30:59 PM
Indeed, cue the far right lunatics and the catholic church protesting about it and instead preaching to abstain and leave this evil cure where it is.
Man but you are one sick twisted fcuk >:( ...any and every opportunity to drive the boot
in to showcase how hateful a cnut you are towards anyone who may have a connection
to the Catholic Church in one form or another is taken every time without fail
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Banana Man

taking a slight tangent but was magic johnson not 'cured' of HIV/Aids???

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 14, 2010, 10:55:15 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 14, 2010, 08:30:59 PM
Man but you are one sick twisted fcuk >:( ...any and every opportunity to drive the boot
in to showcase how hateful a cnut you are towards anyone who may have a connection
to the Catholic Church in one form or another is taken every time without fail

Poor you, you don't like when the hypocrisy of your beloved church is shown in such clarity. Just keep attacking me, Pilger, Fisk and whoever and don't bother deal with reality. This is the research that the religious right is trying to ban is it not? Over 3 million people die from Aids related conditions each year and this appears to be a cure for it. So will the church come out and support this work - what do you think?

trueblue1234

But your wrong Myles. The Catholic church aren't against this. This is adult stem research. The catholic church only has issues with Embryonic Stem-Cell Research.
So your kinda taking this of track without a reason just to get another pop at the catholic church.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Declan

QuoteThis is adult stem research. The catholic church only has issues with Embryonic Stem-Cell Research.

Thanks for that clarification Trueblue