Is Nationalism on the Decline in the North?

Started by Applesisapples, May 08, 2015, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

On Tory cuts, what ever charges you can lay at SF's door you can not say they are implementing Tory cuts. The British Government give the NI executive an amount of money, they decide how much it is and the parties then have to distribute it as they see fit. To implement Tory cuts there needs to be some element of control of the purse strings. On welfare reform it is time SF and the SDLP wised up. The Brits control the purse strings and as Teresa Villiers has stated there is no way in God's earth that they will fund a benefits system in the North that is more generous than the one in England. I have said it before and I'll repeat it. In some parts of nationalist society in the North a benefits culture exists, its all about scamming what you can from the state, irrespective of need or your ability to actually work for a living. SF and the SDLP need to focus on changing this mentality and look to providing much needed better paying jobs. The public sector in the North provides about 70% of the cash in the economy...this is not healthy and if either party genuinely aspire to a United Ireland they will focus on this as a priority. Much as I detest the Tory's I grudgingly admit that no country can live beyond its means and fair play to the ROI for sorting out their economy if only our politicians had the same balls instead of acting like Big Issue Salesmen.

give her dixie

Sinn Fein lost FST on a number of issues. Of course the main reason was a successful Unionist pact that was helped to no end by the
leaflets distributed throughout the constituency attacking Tom Elliott, along with the one in North Belfast. I know of several people who were disgusted by it, and were put of. A friend summed it up best by saying why not have a leaflet showing us what they have done in the past 14 years, and stand on those merits.

Quite a few people in the Clonmore area didn't vote for SF either as just days before the election John O'Dowd launched an appeal against the court ruling that Clintyclay school should stay open and run as an integrated school. Michelle came out in support of this decision by O'Dowd, while all the local SF Councillors backed the court ruling. Plus, there are a lot of people in the Moy area not happy with the parties support for a shared school instead of a integrated school.

The child abuse cover ups, and the fact that Gerry Adams still stays in charge unchallenged after all the evidence produced showing how he covered up the abuse of his niece doesn't sit too well with many people. That was more of a factor than their support for limited abortion.

The ongoing expenses rip off by the party and the jobs for the boys mentality coupled with the big wages is another thing putting people off voting for them. Taking all the expenses going in Westminster, and not taking their seats is beginning to bite. Since they sit in Stormont and the Dail, there isn't much holding them back from taking their seats. Plus, Martin McGuinness is forever praising the Queen, and we will get another dose of his royal ass licking when Charlie arrives in a few days.

As for their opposition to the cuts, well that is all hot air and bluster. They have been enforcing cuts on behalf of the Tories for years now, and will do for the next term. They arn't going to risk losing millions if Stormont shuts down. The money is more important to them. So brace yourselves, the cuts are coming and they will spin a yarn that the faithful will buy and repeat. It's good for the Peace Process will likely be the main excuse once again.......

The next year or so will be a big test for the party. They are hell bent on getting into power in the 26, and they will do whatever it takes. We are secondary to that goal.

SF didn't get my vote in FST, and I for one do not feel guilty for seeing Tom Elliott take the seat. I voted on what candidates and their party stood for, and issues that are important to me. Everyone has the right to vote for whoever they choose, and they shouldn't have to feel guilty about that choice. We need to see an end to sectarian voting, not a rise in it.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: give her dixie on May 14, 2015, 12:34:00 PM
SF didn't get my vote in FST, and I for one do not feel guilty for seeing Tom Elliott take the seat. I voted on what candidates and their party stood for, and issues that are important to me. Everyone has the right to vote for whoever they choose, and they shouldn't have to feel guilty about that choice. We need to see an end to sectarian voting, not a rise in it.

And yet Tom Elliott's success is exactly that - how else can you explain a joint candidate agreed between parties that are diametrically opposed on many key issues? 

gallsman

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 14, 2015, 01:00:17 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on May 14, 2015, 12:34:00 PM

And yet Tom Elliott's success is exactly that - how else can you explain a joint candidate agreed between parties that are diametrically opposed on many key issues?

I don't think he's suggesting otherwise.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: gallsman on May 14, 2015, 01:27:00 PM

Neither do I.

However the irony of not voting SF and then championing this as a move away from sectarian voting, and as a consequence of that, easing the path for a sectarian candidate, is not lost on me.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on May 13, 2015, 12:21:20 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 13, 2015, 10:36:50 AM
So the future of the people should be determined by people who are not interested in the future of the people?

Well they could be incentivised to care. An work colleague I had in Malta in the 90's held dual Maltese-Australian citizenship took his civic duties very seriously and voted religiously in both states every election. Both states supported him in this via heavily subsidized airfares to allow him to cast his vote in person.
The Shinner way.

naka

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 12, 2015, 10:08:15 PM
If they walked away how would it force an earlier election?? It is hard to see how stormont can continue in current form. Tories would likely laugh at a 2 billion request now.
actually after reading the Irish news today on the spads and the fact that Stormont costs more to run than the Scotland or wales equivalent I think most right thinking tax payers would be happy enough to see Stormont closed down.
its jobs for the boys on both sides

trileacman

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 14, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 14, 2015, 01:27:00 PM

Neither do I.

However the irony of not voting SF and then championing this as a move away from sectarian voting, and as a consequence of that, easing the path for a sectarian candidate, is not lost on me.

But the alternative is engaging in the sectarian head count, so how could he champion a move away from sectarian vote but engage in a purely useums vs themums count? Explain to me how you'd move away from a sectarian headcount yourself there?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: trileacman on May 15, 2015, 12:35:59 PM
But the alternative is engaging in the sectarian head count, so how could he champion a move away from sectarian vote but engage in a purely useums vs themums count? Explain to me how you'd move away from a sectarian headcount yourself there?

100% on the money.

Your second question though suggests to me that you don't see the irony in what I pointed out.

Is this correct?