Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tothetop03

Is it the case that the interest in Club Gaa in a lot of areas is not what is used to be, was talking to man from a Junior club earlier this year he told me they had 52 player at players meeting at the start of the year by the time the first game came around they had 20 odd training and where scraping for a reserve team on a Sunday...he said too many other distraction came first....would not matter when reserve league is played if players dont want to play.... I played club football for 15 years myself, mixture of reserve and Senior was glad to get my club jersey on my back as often as possible...

Ty4Sam

Quote from: Tyrone95 on May 12, 2017, 10:52:11 AM
Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 12, 2017, 10:37:35 AM
I've said it before. Split reserves into East/West and into 2 divisions each so you have East 1/East 2/West 1 and West 2. Games played Friday nights, Top 2 or 4 in each group go into quarter/semi finals. Run these off over consecutive weeks with no postponements. Pretty similar to how youth football is done, which in my opinion is a success.
I still feel it wouldnt matter if the fixture is being played with the neighbours 5 mile down the road.  Asking any player to come out twice over the weekend to play football matches (in which they might only play one) is not going to work.

I get what you are saying, although the reserves would be swapping a match for a training session on a Friday night which I'm sure most would rather do. I think its worth a go anyway as the current system is on its knee's.

Tyrone95

Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 12, 2017, 12:21:43 PM
I've said it before. Split reserves into East/West and into 2 divisions each so you have East 1/East 2/West 1 and West 2. Games played Friday nights, Top 2 or 4 in each group go into quarter/semi finals. Run these off over consecutive weeks with no postponements. Pretty similar to how youth football is done, which in my opinion is a success.
I still feel it wouldnt matter if the fixture is being played with the neighbours 5 mile down the road.  Asking any player to come out twice over the weekend to play football matches (in which they might only play one) is not going to work.

I get what you are saying, although the reserves would be swapping a match for a training session on a Friday night which I'm sure most would rather do. I think its worth a go anyway as the current system is on its knee's.
People may argue the current system is on its knees because of who is at the helm of the county team..But with regard to reserve fixtures, its hard for most D1 teams to argue against sunday games as most are lucky enough to comfortably field 2 teams every weekend, it seems to be D3 especially which is in need of reform in some sort of way. 

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Tyrone95 on May 12, 2017, 12:35:05 PM
Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 12, 2017, 12:21:43 PM

People may argue the current system is on its knees because of who is at the helm of the county team..But with regard to reserve fixtures, its hard for most D1 teams to argue against sunday games as most are lucky enough to comfortably field 2 teams every weekend, it seems to be D3 especially which is in need of reform in some sort of way.

I've seen a few reserve games this year played at 13 a side because of lack of numbers.  And being honest it often it was a better spectacle than the following senior game.  The space on the pitch was great for a team that wanted to attack.  I've also seen some serious mis-matches and drubbings handed out.  Reform of reserve football is long overdue, if it was more competitive it may encourages players its worthwhile continuing with the game.  Reserve promotion/relegation on their own merit should be brought in.  If possible fixtures can be arranged to co-ordinate with the senior games but generally a separate fixture programme would be required.

It may need further explanation but hopefully you get the jist
Living the dream!!!

WeeDonns

Have always thought there was a demand for a 3rds/Social league in Tyrone.
Played out over 8-10 weeks in the summer months on Thursday/Friday evenings, with No postponements.
Short travel distances – East & West leagues may suit
Have often thought it'd be something the club could run off themselves, if the county board aren't interested, as a fundraiser – have a finals weekend etc

The main issue I see is that this would suit some current Reserve players better than Reserve football & lead to Reserve teams not fielding....

Under Lights

tothetop03

We beat Edendork in a tight game.... Draw might have been a fair result but we will take it.... we have aome amount of olayers injured at the minute or unavailable...2 more points and we are safe anyway....

skeog

Carmen looking like a team in severe transition.Dromore dominated them from start to finish.The 3 ex county men are a shadow of their former selves.Conor took a few chops that in days gone by it would have been him dishing them out,no O Neill cup be at Quinns corner this decade.

In hiding

Conor clarke is back playing good football for omagh. Who says you can't improve away from the county set up. He has been excellent at midfield so far

Tyrone95

Quote from: skeog on May 15, 2017, 09:24:38 AM
Carmen looking like a team in severe transition.Dromore dominated them from start to finish.The 3 ex county men are a shadow of their former selves.Conor took a few chops that in days gone by it would have been him dishing them out,no O Neill cup be at Quinns corner this decade.
Would agree with your point about severe transition, that and like most other clubs a long injury list..This may not have turned the game yesterday but I feel it was still there for the taking with 5 minutes to go when munroe hit the post when 1 on 1 to level the game..And to be fair Mark donnelly has been one of our best performers this year to date.   

WT4E

Much needed win for the Tones yesterday... Loughshore a hrad place to get points out of... long may it continue! :D

Christmas Lights

Carrickmore wouldn't be considered to be one of the top sides in Tyrone. They are a mid table club at present and this past few seasons confirm that. Transition my hole.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 15, 2017, 01:38:00 PM
Carrickmore wouldn't be considered to be one of the top sides in Tyrone. They are a mid table club at present and this past few seasons confirm that. Transition my hole.

I would say its a transition period as they say farewell to some of the older generation that are hanging on. While I agree they are not the force they previously had been, mid table isn't where Carrickmore will stay.  They are a club with the support, finance and infrastructure all in place to create success.  They have youth teams coming through that compete in Division 1.  Some contributors had them as relegation material this season and I got slated for ranking them the 8th best in the county and now they find themselves 9th.  But this isn't a long term position for Carrickmore they will be competing for honours for years to come.
Living the dream!!!

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 15, 2017, 04:14:28 PM

I would say its a transition period as they say farewell to some of the older generation that are hanging on. While I agree they are not the force they previously had been, mid table isn't where Carrickmore will stay.  They are a club with the support, finance and infrastructure all in place to create success.  They have youth teams coming through that compete in Division 1.  Some contributors had them as relegation material this season and I got slated for ranking them the 8th best in the county and now they find themselves 9th.  But this isn't a long term position for Carrickmore they will be competing for honours for years to come.
Drink taken?

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 15, 2017, 11:02:39 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 15, 2017, 04:14:28 PM

Drink taken?

Unfortunately no drink taken, Im just of the opinion that Carrickmore will be competing for championships maybe not this year or next but they're a strong club with good pedigree.

Living the dream!!!