Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

:-\
Read this slowly BM. It might help

You said "you have to physically watch TV or phone in a vote", and I said (using your words) "the media made them do i"t. In reply I asked you to do some reading up on "manufacturing consent" to understand what I mean't by my comments from the outset (before you mis-interpreted what I said). No ignoring of points. Now come back to me when you've done some research on the topic and tell me then that I'm talking out of my hole and hopefully you could also elaborate on why me being aware/interested in the enslaving of large swathes of populations to think a certain way somehow displays double standards.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Banana Man

Quote from: theskull1 on November 17, 2010, 09:48:23 AM
:-\
Read this slowly BM. It might help

You said "you have to physically watch TV or phone in a vote", and I said (using your words) "the media made them do i"t. In reply I asked you to do some reading up on "manufacturing consent" to understand what I mean't by my comments from the outset (before you mis-interpreted what I said). No ignoring of points. Now come back to me when you've done some research on the topic and tell me then that I'm talking out of my hole and hopefully you could also elaborate on why me being aware/interested in the enslaving of large swathes of populations to think a certain way somehow displays double standards.

you said the media made them do it. We're agreed on that, in order to do it you have to physically do it, i fail to understand how you can't grasp this concept. I won't be researching your argument, then I would be debating with myself (although given your lack of understanding it's becoming increasingly apparent that is exactly what is happening).

Double standards is how you hate the show, you hate the people who watch it, you think they should not have a vote ffs and yet you are the first boy on the x factor thread reading what 'these mindless masses' are saying. Are you for real  :D

you're boring me now  :-*

theskull1

Boredom has set in on both sides. If you can't or don't want to understand how structured media messages can incentivise large groups of the population to physically "do stuff" like pick up a phone to support a celeb, vote for certain parties in elections, join the army, buy an iphone etc etc etc , then I really am wasting my time. This has become remedial. Good luck
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Banana Man

Quote from: theskull1 on November 17, 2010, 10:48:22 AM
Boredom has set in on both sides. If you can't or don't want to understand how structured media messages can incentivise large groups of the population to physically "do stuff" like pick up a phone to support a celeb, vote for certain parties in elections, join the army, buy an iphone etc etc etc , then I really am wasting my time. This has become remedial. Good luck

right something has finally got through to you then  ;D

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 16, 2010, 09:35:59 PM
Gallsman, i see you are now into ridiculing those who dare to have a republican outlook on a message board. Is that the new level to stoop to? Well going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, what does that make you, if I'm a "keyboard republican"?

A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours? Bit snobby that.

No, I'm specifically ridiculing you and Banana Man. Not that hard to figure out really.

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 16, 2010, 07:05:19 PM
I see Trinity boy is doing working hard on showing he's not an oul know it all  :D

Hilarious I'm sure.

Banana Man

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 11:36:39 AM
Gallsman, i see you are now into ridiculing those who dare to have a republican outlook on a message board. Is that the new level to stoop to? Well going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, what does that make you, if I'm a "keyboard republican"?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours? Bit snobby that.

No, I'm specifically ridiculing you and Banana Man. Not that hard to figure out really.

you are ridiculing us because you perceive us to have republican outlooks. Are you saying you aren't nationalist/post nationalist then gallsman?

gallsman

Quote from: Banana Man on November 17, 2010, 12:21:44 PM

you are ridiculing us because you perceive us to have republican outlooks. Are you saying you aren't nationalist/post nationalist then gallsman?

No I'm ridiculing you because I see you as someone who, as stated earlier, fits the description of a "keyboard republican".

Also, I'm still waiting to know what insight you have into the minds of people south of the border.

Banana Man

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 01:27:48 PM

No I'm ridiculing you because I see you as someone who, as stated earlier, fits the description of a "keyboard republican".

Also, I'm still waiting to know what insight you have into the minds of people south of the border.

I'm still waiting on you illustrating where i attributed points on evidence and snobbery to you ya gonch

plus i have already batted that one on keyboard republican out of the park, if you will recall it was where you couldn't differentiate between constitutional and physical force, anything else?

just for the record i have insight to the minds through people i know who live in the south funnily enough, none of your trinity crowd either thankfully

gallsman

Quote from: Banana Man on November 17, 2010, 01:36:15 PM

I'm still waiting on you illustrating where i attributed points on evidence and snobbery to you ya gonch

plus i have already batted that one on keyboard republican out of the park, if you will recall it was where you couldn't differentiate between constitutional and physical force, anything else?

just for the record i have insight to the minds through people i know who live in the south funnily enough, none of your trinity crowd either thankfully

Wow! You know people in the south??? What size sample is that? You do know about representative sampling I suppose, do you?

You batted it out of the park, did you?? Constitutional or physical force is irrelevant - you and your ilk are a disgrace to both.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 01:52:26 PM

Wow! You know people in the south??? What size sample is that? You do know about representative sampling I suppose, do you?

You batted it out of the park, did you?? Constitutional or physical force is irrelevant - you and your ilk are a disgrace to both.

I've been stuck in the middle of many's a childish argument but this is getting ridiculous.

Banana Man

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2010, 01:52:26 PM

didn't take you to long until you resorted to personal abuse. You have moved away from debate (actually i don't think you ever started) however it is quite clear the poison is seeping out of you and you can no longer engage in a meaningful discussion

yes i did as already stated, not only can you no longer think for yourself you have resorted to the tactics of an infant in repeating what the other person is saying

oh and you need to wash that dummy before you put it back in your mouth, it might be infected after you spat it out and it hit the floor  :D

Nally Stand

I know you think you are ridiculing bananaman and myself, but that wasn't what I asked. So I'll ask my two questions again, in the hope of an answer to them the second time around.

Going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, so if I'm a "keyboard republican", what does that make you? A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2010, 02:08:57 PM

I know you think you are ridiculing bananaman and myself, but that wasn't what I asked. So I'll ask my two questions again, in the hope of an answer to them the second time around.

Going by your profile, you have put up more posts than I have, and post per day average is higher than mine, so if I'm a "keyboard republican", what does that make you? A keyboard post-nationalist?

Or is they "keyboard" prefix only necessary when attempting to ridicule people for not having similar political opinions to yours?

But your question is completely irrelevant - my posts tend to examine both sides of an arguement. You post exclusively about your own opinions and attempt to shout down anyone who disagees with you. For example, you insist on referring to the SDLP and its supporters as "stoops". You don't catch me refferring to Sinn Fein as "murdering, sectarian, paedophile-hiding bastards," do you?

I'm not a keyboard anything - I don't tend to wear my politics on my sleeve on an anonymous internet forum.

Quote from: Franko on November 17, 2010, 01:57:06 PM
I've been stuck in the middle of many's a childish argument but this is getting ridiculous.

I know but apparently myself, Nally and Banana Man are each as stubborn as the other.

Applesisapples

It's a bit of a stretch to murdering whatever from stoops. I don't know what age you are Gallsman but you don't seem to have an understanding of where the NI state came from or the issues faced by Nationalists, Catholics and Republicans up to the late 1980's early 1990's. I wonder reading your posts are you just winding people up? Your revisionist posts over simply the whole NI question just as much as some of the posts from those you ridicule. Bottomline is the political situation here is not as simple as Margaret Ritchie and her poppy would have you believe, neither is it as clear cut as some republican posters believe. Our enconomy is every bit as dependant on that of the ROI as it is on the UK subvention. It is much more complicated than that but I don't have the time or inclination to go into the detail. To go back to the issue of the poppy and it's symbolism and the whole NI question and where the SDLP are leading us by extension, read Nuala O'Connor's article in yesterdays Irish News.