Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2010, 10:22:59 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 10:13:01 AM
Actually, given the stoops refusal to withdraw, knowing full well that McKinney didn't stand a chance in hell of getting elected, any rational observer would have to assume that they knowingly attempted to prevent the nationalists of FST being represented by a nationalist simply because that nationalist was from SF. They clearly anticipated a spilt nationalist vote, which they expected would deliver a tory MP, which would have suited their "anyone but SF" ethos down to the ground. Kinda denying representation to nationalists, that tactic.

You consider that rational?

"Because they did this it meant this"

Once again I must point out the flaws in your understanding of democracy.
You must? Why didn't you? FST still really hurts with you doesn't it? Don't worry, Rodney Conner will get another chance some day. Chin up.

(Pointing out what you perceive as the intellectual flaws of others? Not this old snobbery again gallsman)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Zapatista on November 12, 2010, 10:23:41 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 10:13:01 AM
:D :D :D
You a bit slow on the uptake? I had hoped the stoops would pull out of FST in order to ENSURE that the only nationalist who actually had a chance of winning would win, hence ensuring the (mainly nationalist) constituency would be REPRESENTED by... that's right....A NATIONALIST. Complicated I know, but keep thinking about it.

Actually, given the stoops refusal to withdraw, knowing full well that McKinney didn't stand a chance in hell of getting elected, any rational observer would have to assume that they knowingly attempted to prevent the nationalists of FST being represented by a nationalist simply because that nationalist was from SF. They clearly anticipated a spilt nationalist vote, which they expected would deliver a tory MP, which would have suited their "anyone but SF" ethos down to the ground. Kinda denying representation to nationalists, that tactic.

p.s. Thankfully, the good people of FST abandoned the stoops in droves and showed maggie ritchie the middle finger in response to her political "strategy" of screwing them over so as to facilitate the OO/Tory/DUP alliances bid to defeat the only nationalist who stood a chance     

This is what bugs me about the whole thing. There is no merit in supporting a candidate if they are only voted for being Nationalist. BEing a Nationalist is a stupid reason to elect someone and the SDLP were right to stand there ground.

In a perfect world zap, but burying our heads in the sand and hoping the constitutional issue will resolve itself and the centuries old traditions involved will suddenly co-operate nicely, just isn't realistic. Nationalism & unionism are both perfectly legitimate political philosophies which are understandably, hugely important to people. No head burying or wishful thinking about not voting along such lines will change that. Being a nationalist or unionist does not automatically make you sectarian and as such, voting along nationalist/unionist lines does not make you sectarian. It just means you are voting for the candidate who best suits your own political views. Nothing wrong with that.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 11, 2010, 06:55:57 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 11, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 11, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 11, 2010, 12:01:16 PM
Ritchie is going to be the ruination of the stoops.  An awful politician.
Agreed

ritchie is the most hated politician in lots of areas of south down and that includes the unionists. her only support is in her home town of downpatrick and with unionists determined to keep the shinners out at any cost. her decision to wear a poppy just shows how out of touch the sdlp have become with working class nationlists.
Yet critically, the most popular in all of South Down.
Not necessarily true South Down voted against Caitriona Ruane rather than for Margaret Richie, if I had to choose between these two and Ian Og I would vote Ian Og!!! :D

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 11, 2010, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 09:05:57 PM
QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 09:03:19 AM
I don't have a problem with other people going off on a tangent as long as they don't then try to use that tangent to form an argument with myself. Unlike you, you have engaged me by using a tangent. I mentioned Ms Parker Bowles as Patrick Kielty was meeting her, if he had been meeting an African leader for example I wouldn't then have mentioned the ills of African society and done a running commentary on the rights or wrongs based on the Continent's history of genocidal warfare.

But an African leader would have no relevance to a discussion on the poppy. The poppy represents the fallen crown forces. The link is quite clear. I just questioned why someone would think that it's great that someone isn't wearing a poppy when they meet a member of the royal family. That's not a tangent; it's developing the discussion.

You just proved my point Maguire against yourself, thanks for that. An African leader in the photo has no relevance to the discussion of poppies just like the mistress of Charles Windsor has no relevance to it so why would i mention it. I reiteriate that if you want to discuss Irish personalities meeting with the royals then start a separate topic and I will gladly contribute to the debate (provided you can stay on topic of course).
You're not grasping this at all.
You think it's bad to wear the poppy, commemorating deceased members of the crown forces... yet it's grand to hang out with the wife of the heir to that same crown and the  Commander-in-Chief of those same forces. That's the link. Simple. If it was the head of an African state, there wouldn't have been a link.

I haven't once commented on whether or not it is grand to hang out with anyone, I am trying to discuss the wearing of poppies. And it is increasingly difficult to maintain the focus when you keep trying to divert of on a tangent to give you some pathetic chink of light to grasp at to maintain your part in the discussion.

I repeat, if you want to discuss meeting members of a foreign monarchy feel free to start a new topic and put your points on that and I will engage you on that debate bt if you can't maintain focus on one emblem I dismay at the prospect of you trying to deal with an entire family including teir mistresses

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2010, 10:19:12 AM
That wasn't the question you were asked though? Minder asked you if nationalists who don't want to vote Sinn Fein are entitled to vote for someone they see fit to represent them, and you said "yes". QED.

Yes but as mentioned, the stoop stood no chance of getting elected. Not ever party stands in every constituency in Ireland for similar reasons.
p.s. That isn't what he asked, he asked if there was no sdlp, should nationalists not have representation, and who they should vote for. I answered both.

So f**k? Some people wanted to vote SDLP, McKinney's candidacy provided them that opportunity.

Excat same principal as telling someone not to try because they'll never succeed.

Zapatista

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 11:04:12 AM
In a perfect world zap, but burying our heads in the sand and hoping the constitutional issue will resolve itself and the centuries old traditions involved will suddenly co-operate nicely, just isn't realistic. Nationalism & unionism are both perfectly legitimate political philosophies which are understandably, hugely important to people. No head burying or wishful thinking about not voting along such lines will change that. Being a nationalist or unionist does not automatically make you sectarian and as such, voting along nationalist/unionist lines does not make you sectarian. It just means you are voting for the candidate who best suits your own political views. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree completly but SF and the SDLP subscibe to completly different versions of Nationalism. They have little or nothing in common on the 'national issue'. To tell the people of F&ST that SF and the SDLP are nationalist and therefore the same is wrong.

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2010, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2010, 10:19:12 AM
That wasn't the question you were asked though? Minder asked you if nationalists who don't want to vote Sinn Fein are entitled to vote for someone they see fit to represent them, and you said "yes". QED.

Yes but as mentioned, the stoop stood no chance of getting elected. Not ever party stands in every constituency in Ireland for similar reasons.
p.s. That isn't what he asked, he asked if there was no sdlp, should nationalists not have representation, and who they should vote for. I answered both.

So f**k? Some people wanted to vote SDLP, McKinney's candidacy provided them that opportunity.

Excat same principal as telling someone not to try because they'll never succeed.

So parties are being totally undemocratic by not standing where they know they wouldn't stand a chance? Is that why the stoops don't put their noses anywhere south of FST? Very undemocratic that, then. I always thought that was due to partitionism alone  :-\

Oh well, I've no intention of getting side tracked into a debate about FST. That one is long gone, and we all know how it ended.

So, where were we? Oh yes... poppies...

Applesisapples

Quote from: Zapatista on November 12, 2010, 11:31:43 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 12, 2010, 11:04:12 AM

I agree completly but SF and the SDLP subscibe to completly different versions of Nationalism. They have little or nothing in common on the 'national issue'. To tell the people of F&ST that SF and the SDLP are nationalist and therefore the same is wrong.
The SDLP are no longer a nationalist party, they are accepting of the status quo and Sinn Fein are starting down the same path.

Zapatista

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 12, 2010, 12:08:04 PM
The SDLP are no longer a nationalist party, they are accepting of the status quo and Sinn Fein are starting down the same path.

S owe kind of agree that they have nothing in common on that topic therefore there is no reason for the SDLP not to stand in F&ST.

Evil Genius

Meanwhile, back on the subject of the Poppy and remembrance etc, this might be of interest to Donegal folk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLvQRjdBm8

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 11, 2010, 02:39:23 PM
Further to the earlier pics of Carol and daughter...

Here's another poppy....I'll bet none of yiz would mind getting your hands that one!! :o

def had botox and plastic surgery ...

5 Sams

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2010, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 11, 2010, 02:39:23 PM
Further to the earlier pics of Carol and daughter...

Here's another poppy....I'll bet none of yiz would mind getting your hands that one!! :o

def had botox and plastic surgery ...

Money well spent  :)
The Aristocrat Years

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 12, 2010, 01:55:05 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 12, 2010, 01:29:32 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 12, 2010, 01:03:31 AM
Well just back from the pub and near the end myself and my Unionist friend had a bit of a fall out over her poppy. I said nothing all night until one of my English mates pointed out it attached to her bag and that O ***** won't have liked that. She asked me what my problem was with supporting "our boys" and "their sacrifice" it got pretty heated and only ended well coz I agreed to disagree coz she has a savage arse and even while arguing I couldn't take my eyes of it and I really think I have a chance bar the fact that she thinks I'm a raving Provo, which most lads here will think absurd  ;D
Well played, get  priorities straight....savage arse or high ground....arse everyday :D

Hang on,, how were ya looking at her arse while ya were arguing?! Was she looking over shoulder or something?

No we had high chairs at the bar, she kept standing up when she got excited kinda falling forward and presenting the finest arse in a pair of tight blue jeans, nice. All day seeing poppys and where once before they kinda got on my nerves they now make me think of a fine arse in blue jeans, yummy  ;D  Tnx You Miss ******
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Puckoon

Quote from: Zapatista on November 12, 2010, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 12, 2010, 03:18:15 AM
So I gave $5 for a poppy today. I didn't take one - am I still ok to post here/still an Irish man???

If you give a fiver and get nothing in return then you are the ultimate Irish man. Usually we'd get a stick of gum at least for a fiver.

;D

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 12, 2010, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 11, 2010, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 09:05:57 PM
QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 09:03:19 AM
I don't have a problem with other people going off on a tangent as long as they don't then try to use that tangent to form an argument with myself. Unlike you, you have engaged me by using a tangent. I mentioned Ms Parker Bowles as Patrick Kielty was meeting her, if he had been meeting an African leader for example I wouldn't then have mentioned the ills of African society and done a running commentary on the rights or wrongs based on the Continent's history of genocidal warfare.

But an African leader would have no relevance to a discussion on the poppy. The poppy represents the fallen crown forces. The link is quite clear. I just questioned why someone would think that it's great that someone isn't wearing a poppy when they meet a member of the royal family. That's not a tangent; it's developing the discussion.

You just proved my point Maguire against yourself, thanks for that. An African leader in the photo has no relevance to the discussion of poppies just like the mistress of Charles Windsor has no relevance to it so why would i mention it. I reiteriate that if you want to discuss Irish personalities meeting with the royals then start a separate topic and I will gladly contribute to the debate (provided you can stay on topic of course).
You're not grasping this at all.
You think it's bad to wear the poppy, commemorating deceased members of the crown forces... yet it's grand to hang out with the wife of the heir to that same crown and the  Commander-in-Chief of those same forces. That's the link. Simple. If it was the head of an African state, there wouldn't have been a link.

I haven't once commented on whether or not it is grand to hang out with anyone, I am trying to discuss the wearing of poppies. And it is increasingly difficult to maintain the focus when you keep trying to divert of on a tangent to give you some pathetic chink of light to grasp at to maintain your part in the discussion.

I repeat, if you want to discuss meeting members of a foreign monarchy feel free to start a new topic and put your points on that and I will engage you on that debate bt if you can't maintain focus on one emblem I dismay at the prospect of you trying to deal with an entire family including teir mistresses
Quote button fail! But at least you're giving it a go.  Keep trying - I've mastered it even with my lack of intelligence and limited education. :P

I'm sorry you're finding it difficult to "maintain the focus". As you'll see over the last few pages, discussions develop. It's part of debate.