Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 09:03:19 AM
I don't have a problem with other people going off on a tangent as long as they don't then try to use that tangent to form an argument with myself. Unlike you, you have engaged me by using a tangent. I mentioned Ms Parker Bowles as Patrick Kielty was meeting her, if he had been meeting an African leader for example I wouldn't then have mentioned the ills of African society and done a running commentary on the rights or wrongs based on the Continent's history of genocidal warfare.
But an African leader would have no relevance to a discussion on the poppy. The poppy represents the fallen crown forces. The link is quite clear. I just questioned why someone would think that it's great that someone isn't wearing a poppy when they meet a member of the royal family. That's not a tangent; it's developing the discussion.

As regards using the quote button to make it easier for you, why should I? Do you think I have to mention what I want in a format that is more aesthetically pleasing to you Maguire?
You don't have to. You can continue to look like you haven't figured out how it works. It's so that your post makes sense - to see who said what. It was merely a suggestion.

As for the pathetic use of inverted commas around my use of the word one, that says more about your limited education than mine and further debased the value of any further comments you have to make.
Humour isn't your strong point then. It was a joke, based on the discussion being about the royals.

What I do know is if you mention SDLP or stoop at all the 'Maguire alarm' goes off and you scramble to justify whatever they done. I would wager if Ms Ritchie told you the sky was green you would believe her. You fail to engage in rationale debate on a given topic unless there is a party line or soundbite to roll out. In a way I envy your blind faith, in another way i seriously pity your complete lack of intelligence. (I think it's pity more than anything I have for you to be honest).
How was this about the SDLP?
For the record, I don't have any loyalty to any political party, nor am I a member of any political party. If the SDLP do something I disagree with, i'll say it. For the record, whilst I think Margaret Ritchie is an able politician, I don't think she's a party leader and will happily agree that she's a terrible public speaker.

At the same time, if the usual SF posters on here go off on one, i'll feel free to weigh in with my opinion. It is a discussion board after all. It brings a bit of balance.

As for my "lack of intelligence" and "limited education" what do you base that on?

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 11:23:43 AM
I bet Nally is jealous that his stalker has replaced him now, perhaps you and Maguire are the same person... I doubt I will get an anwer though as that would require more than 2 words  ::)
Are you and Nally the same person?

Maguire01

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 11, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 11, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 11, 2010, 12:01:16 PM
Ritchie is going to be the ruination of the stoops.  An awful politician.
Agreed

ritchie is the most hated politician in lots of areas of south down and that includes the unionists. her only support is in her home town of downpatrick and with unionists determined to keep the shinners out at any cost. her decision to wear a poppy just shows how out of touch the sdlp have become with working class nationlists.
Yet critically, the most popular in all of South Down.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 11, 2010, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser link=topic=17811.msg878962#msg878962date=1289476876
Ritchie is going to be the ruination of the stoops.  An awful politician.
Agreed

So who would nationalists, that would never dream of voting
SF, vote for? Should they not have representation Nally?

Should nationalists have representation?  Was that a serious question?  :D Ok.... in case it was... YES MINDER. YES THEY SHOULD.

Who should nationalists vote for? - Why the fcuk do you ask me?
If she were to be "the ruination of the stoops" that would mean they were ruined because she would have turned them into a party who nobody would want to vote for, so if people decided in such numbers to not vote sdlp, thus causing the ruination of them, why ask me who they should vote for? Whoever they feel like voting for I would imagine, that's up to themselves.

You seem to think I am calling for the sdlp to be dismantled ffs. There's a difference between that, and hoping they become a party which reaches ruination due to lack of support (which seems to be what maggie is trying to to with them these times).

I don't think I was denying democracy when I hoped the PD's in the south reached ruination either  :-\
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

SHEEDY

october 2010: british troops burn fields of poppies to curb the heroin trade stemming from afghanistan.

november 2010: muslim protestors burn paper poppies in protest against british troops.

GREAT COMEBACK GUYS.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mid Down Gael

See Malachi Cush refrained from wearing the poppy on 7.30 show on UTV. Fair play.

Minder

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 11, 2010, 07:59:46 PM
See Malachi Cush refrained from wearing the poppy on 7.30 show on UTV. Fair play.

Do people watch that show?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2010, 08:28:41 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 11, 2010, 07:59:46 PM

Do people watch that show?

I just flicked over and seen he was only one in studio with no poppy. Not a fan of the show though just to get that clear.

Rois

I thought of this thread this morning when I had the ITV Breakfast programme on, the one with Christine Bleakley.  They'd sent Grainne Seoige out to Afghanistan to interview British troops on 11/11 and gave her a poppy to wear - she was reporting live this morn.  Just seemed a bit strange - this seems to me to be a British occasion, why would they send an Irish person over to a British Army camp?  Bizzare.

ps couldn't give a monkeys about the poppy, won't be wearing one as the wars mean nothing to me.

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 09:03:19 AM
I don't have a problem with other people going off on a tangent as long as they don't then try to use that tangent to form an argument with myself. Unlike you, you have engaged me by using a tangent. I mentioned Ms Parker Bowles as Patrick Kielty was meeting her, if he had been meeting an African leader for example I wouldn't then have mentioned the ills of African society and done a running commentary on the rights or wrongs based on the Continent's history of genocidal warfare.

But an African leader would have no relevance to a discussion on the poppy. The poppy represents the fallen crown forces. The link is quite clear. I just questioned why someone would think that it's great that someone isn't wearing a poppy when they meet a member of the royal family. That's not a tangent; it's developing the discussion.

You just proved my point Maguire against yourself, thanks for that. An African leader in the photo has no relevance to the discussion of poppies just like the mistress of Charles Windsor has no relevance to it so why would i mention it. I reiteriate that if you want to discuss Irish personalities meeting with the royals then start a separate topic and I will gladly contribute to the debate (provided you can stay on topic of course).

QuoteAs for my "lack of intelligence" and "limited education" what do you base that on?

I base it on your inability to follow the flow of a discussion and offer reasoned and structured debate, how's that for ya ya boy ya

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on November 11, 2010, 08:42:21 PM
I thought of this thread this morning when I had the ITV Breakfast programme on, the one with Christine Bleakley.  They'd sent Grainne Seoige out to Afghanistan to interview British troops on 11/11 and gave her a poppy to wear - she was reporting live this morn.  Just seemed a bit strange - this seems to me to be a British occasion, why would they send an Irish person over to a British Army camp?  Bizzare.

ps couldn't give a monkeys about the poppy, won't be wearing one as the wars mean nothing to me.
If it's her job to report from these places why would her nationality prevent her from doing so? Are Jews not allowed to report from Germany or blacks from Mississippi?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 11, 2010, 09:18:24 PM

If it's her job to report from these places why would her nationality prevent her from doing so? Are Jews not allowed to report from Germany or blacks from Mississippi?

Yeh but I wonder how does this poppy thing work in reality? Like does some TV makeup person come over and give you one and tell you that you must wear it or do they ask you if you would like to wear it. Either way its amazing how people who would ordinarily not wear one will so easily allow themselves to be forced to wear one. I don't have an issue with someone wearing one but if someone told me I had to wear one I'd tell them to stick it up their arse.

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 11, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 11, 2010, 09:18:24 PM

Yeh but I wonder how does this poppy thing work in reality? Like does some TV makeup person come over and give you one and tell you that you must wear it or do they ask you if you would like to wear it. Either way its amazing how people who would ordinarily not wear one will so easily allow themselves to be forced to wear one. I don't have an issue with someone wearing one but if someone told me I had to wear one I'd tell them to stick it up their arse.

Ye seen Grainne wearing it this morning. I'd love to know was it her choice or is it forced?? Its not the BBC she's working for but I suppose they all love their poppies across the water.

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 09:05:57 PM
QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 09:03:19 AM

You just proved my point Maguire against yourself, thanks for that. An African leader in the photo has no relevance to the discussion of poppies just like the mistress of Charles Windsor has no relevance to it so why would i mention it. I reiteriate that if you want to discuss Irish personalities meeting with the royals then start a separate topic and I will gladly contribute to the debate (provided you can stay on topic of course).
You're not grasping this at all.
You think it's bad to wear the poppy, commemorating deceased members of the crown forces... yet it's grand to hang out with the wife of the heir to that same crown and the  Commander-in-Chief of those same forces. That's the link. Simple. If it was the head of an African state, there wouldn't have been a link.

Quote from: Banana Man on November 11, 2010, 09:05:57 PM
QuoteAs for my "lack of intelligence" and "limited education" what do you base that on?

I base it on your inability to follow the flow of a discussion and offer reasoned and structured debate, how's that for ya ya boy ya
I followed it perfectly. I just wanted to explore one aspect of your comment.

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 11, 2010, 07:09:28 PM
Should nationalists have representation?  Was that a serious question?  :D Ok.... in case it was... YES MINDER. YES THEY SHOULD.

Yet you wouldn't stop crying your eyes out and shitting your pants when they refused to withdraw Fearghal McKinney in FST?