Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 10:56:47 PM
Are you lads being pedantic, thats Keith Woods

They're being pedantic. Niall Woods has a lot to answer for

I don't blame Keith Wood for wearing a poppy. It's all very well for the likes of Jon Snow making a statement,  but he is a national treasure working for the hep cats at Channel 4. People expect stuff like this. They do not expect statements from outsiders, and Keith Wood has to make a living

Bogball XV

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2010, 11:09:28 PM
Bogball, if that is true then the BBC would be open to a serious court action, wearing a poppy would be a choice I'd imagine she takes herself. Radio and TV presenters say Londonderry are they also being forced to say that also??

The Derry/Londonderry protocol is established, I just don't remember what way.  It's something like they say Londonderry first and then Derry thereafter or vice versa?

Re the Donna Traynor (sic) story, I'd reckon that it was unlikely to have been said in plain language, more likely she was given the impression that she'd no choice - sure she might start posting on here giving us her side of the story soon ;)

I'd agree in general though, I don't care if people wear them or not, it's the bitter cnuts who have the car plastered in the stickers and the rampant facism that annoys me.

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2010, 11:09:28 PM
Bogball, if that is true then the BBC would be open to a serious court action, wearing a poppy would be a choice I'd imagine she takes herself. Radio and TV presenters say Londonderry are they also being forced to say that also??

The Derry/Londonderry protocol is established, I just don't remember what way.  It's something like they say Londonderry first and then Derry thereafter or vice versa?

Re the Donna Traynor (sic) story, I'd reckon that it was unlikely to have been said in plain language, more likely she was given the impression that she'd no choice - sure she might start posting on here giving us her side of the story soon

I'd agree in general though, I don't care if people wear them or not, it's the bitter cnuts who have the car plastered in the stickers and the rampant facism that annoys me.

It's Londonderry first then derry then presenter's choice thereafter....

Banana Man

page 8 of the irish news shows patrick kielty meeting camilla at the irish embassy and he wasn't sporting a poppy, good man paddy, that crawler holmes is an it would be interesting to see durkan's lapel, pity camilla is blocking the view...

gallsman

Quote from: Banana Man on November 10, 2010, 12:42:16 PM
page 8 of the irish news shows patrick kielty meeting camilla at the irish embassy and he wasn't sporting a poppy, good man paddy, that crawler holmes is an it would be interesting to see durkan's lapel, pity camilla is blocking the view...

Do you really care that much? How does anyone know exactly what reason somebody wears a poppy for? For all we know Durkan and other like him may have had relatives who went off to fight for the Brits in various wars and may wish to honour them.

Saw Kevin Myers in the Independent in work today - perhaps the first time I've ever read one of his pieces and not wanted to punch him.

As for people claiming the wearing of Easter Lilies is widespread... ::) ::)

Evil Genius

If by "that crawler holmes" you mean Eamonn Holmes, then I suspect his reasons are very personal:

"Eamonn Holmes was one of eight presenters who participated in the My Family at War BBC TV series, to find out the role his grandfather Jack had played in the Great War of 1914-1918. Joanna and Eamonn spent a fascinating few hours in the exact location on the Somme battlefield where Jack had spent the night before going into action with the Irish Guards on 15th September 1916."
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/whoweare.htm

From what I recall of the programme, Holmes's grandfather (from the Falls?) was badly injured in the War, and was then rather ignored by "the Brits" on his return, and shunned by Nationalists etc in turn.

His health was broken and he eventually died some years later, as a direct result of his service.

Before he made the above TV programme, Holmes was only vaguely aware of his grandfather's story.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 09, 2010, 08:44:27 PM
Other than on TV / in the paper, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wear an Easter Lilly.

Really..I thought it was the norm in our parts.. Every Good Friday they are sold at the gates of the chapel.. Mind you they`ve just become an "i vote for Sinn Fein" symbol..

Banana Man

Lads I have relatives who fought in both world wars fighting for the 'allies' that doesn't mean I run out and wear a poppy. I don't agree with the poppy plain and simple. I will also point out that I am not my brother's keeper and cannot be responsible for their actions, one of which was a Welshman and he was forced into war via conscription. It represents all fallen British servicemen and doesn't differentiate on the wars they fought in or the rationale behind their going to war in the first instance. It is too wide a category for a one size fits all symbol.

That's why it annoys me when people say it represents the fight for freedom, where was that in the 'war' in Ireland or the colonial wars on continental Africa or modern day Iraq, afghanistan etc.

EG - I have no doubt that holmes' grandfather did go off and fight in the war and was shunnd upon his return. As happened to countless others. This further highlights the division within the nationalist community over the taking to arms at the behest of Britain an why the poppy is still such a divisive symbol.

What is forgotten is the 'enforced' immigration, my grandfather worked in England during WW2 and he often told me of having to go across to England. The reason being work was scarce and there was no such thing as landing down to the 'bru' office ona Tuesday morning. England's workforce, especially on the larger farms was decimated due to the conscription of her young men. A scheme was introduced whereby the Irish were forced to go to England to work if they were not working at home, most work in the North was filled by 'good loyal citizens' first to help in the war effort. I'd wear an emblem that commerorates the men uprooted from here and had to leave young families behind to go to a land that greeted them with signs such as 'no Irish here' in order to feed their families.

Btw Gallsman have you gotten over your crush on Nally and replaced it with me, you seem to be stalking me too now.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Banana Man on November 10, 2010, 03:48:57 PMI don't agree with the poppy plain and simple.
Fine. Don't buy one, then.

Quote from: Banana Man on November 10, 2010, 03:48:57 PMEG - I have no doubt that holmes' grandfather did go off and fight in the war and was shunnd upon his return. As happened to countless others.
First you make a derogatory remark about Homes, without knowing the first thing about him or his (likely) reason for wearing a Poppy.
Then when you are appraised of same, you refuse to retract, qualify or even moderate your original comment.
Which considering you, like many (most?) Irish people have a not dissimliar family history to Holmes, is especially distasteful.
In the end, it is about tolerance and respect. You choose not to wear a Poppy, despite your grandfather's experience. Fine - no-one is forcing you to wear one.
By contrast, Holmes decides to wear one because of  his grandfather's experience.
Imo, that all says more about you and your intolerance, than it does about Holmes.

Quote from: Banana Man on November 10, 2010, 03:48:57 PMThis further highlights the division within the nationalist community over the taking to arms at the behest of Britain an why the poppy is still such a divisive symbol.
Nonsense.

Of course, many Nationalists dislike the Poppy because, eg, it evokes bitter memories of the British Army etc.

Then again, I can't stand the sight eg of Martin McGuinness, for his past record in the Provos etc, and despair that he has got to be DFM. Nonetheless, I accept his right to be there and would react accordingly if I ever had to have dealings with him.

In the end, the Poppy could only be considered "divisive", and the blame laid at the door of Britain, if Nationalists in Ireland were forced to wear it by "the Brits". They aren't.

Therefore the only people who make it "divisive" are those people like you who will not tolerate others who choose to wear one, even when they know nothing about the wearer's motives for doing so.

Pathetic.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Banana Man

On your point of don't buy one, I didn't realise I had to justify to you whether or not I buy one. I haven't bought one, refuse to (despite people calling to my back door) and won't. Case closed.

Why would I retract or rephrase anything? I stand over what I said. Just because you deem it necessary doesn't make it a valid point.

Don't forget EG you profess that the poppy represents the freedom of speech, among other things and you try to refuse my right to same. You sensing any irony yet up on your moral highground or how long will it take to filter up to there? Now that's what I call pathetic.

And you do know about Holmes do you? I tell from what I do know he would be safer worrying more about his 'role' in the lives of his first family that he left to flight to England than the 'role' his grandfather played in a foreign field.

Hardly a shining light and one that you are proud to have wearing a poppy. David Cameron is right when he talks of broken Britain and the loss of family values, a Britain you so love and reinforce. I think that says a lot about you.

Nationalists in Ireland are forced to wear it, the Nationalists that read the news on BBC, are they not Nationalists in Ireland? Or do you have to sign a waiver relinquishing any ties to the people you come from when you enter the gates at the 'beeb'?

As for the point of myself not wearing a poppy DESPITE my grandfather's experience, you have either missed the point or don't read what I write but instead decide to put your spin on it. My story of my grandfather reinforces my opinion of not wearing one as it was forced labour conscription that tore families apart and is therefore another example of why (some) Nationalists hate to commemorate a war they owed nothing to or from.

And where did I ever say I wouldn't tolerate anyone wearing it? I think you should check your facts before you start firing any more wild accusations about my good friend.

red hander

I believe the SDLP leader is to wear a poppy on Sunday ... saying nothing, just putting it out there.

Anybody read Brian Feeney in the Irish News today about the history of atrocities carried out by the British army and still being perpetrated up to the present day?

Nally Stand

Quote from: red hander on November 10, 2010, 07:15:01 PM
I believe the SDLP leader is to wear a poppy on Sunday ... saying nothing, just putting it out there.

Sounds about right. It's not long (March '10) since her party voted for dozens of british army plaques to adorn the walls of Belfast City Hall, including several dedicated to the UDR  :-\
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

page 8 of the irish news shows patrick kielty meeting camilla at the irish embassy and he wasn't sporting a poppy, good man paddy
So meeting the royals is grand, but wearing a poppy isn't? Where's the logic there?

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 12:42:16 PM
page 8 of the irish news shows patrick kielty meeting camilla at the irish embassy and he wasn't sporting a poppy, good man paddy

So meeting the royals is grand, but wearing a poppy isn't? Where's the logic there?

Seeing as you have quoted from me i take it you are referring to me, where did I bring the royal family into it? This thread is on poppies, I know you have form of going off on a tangent to deflect away from some other point but this is unreal, you are trying to change the topic that I am discussing

If you want to discuss your beloved stoops meeting the royals then start a new thread on it, that's a whole different discussion, one could even argue the royals have yet to be mentioned as Camilla is not a royal but a Duchess

Rossfan

Just for the record I nor anyone belonging to me ever wore a poppy or ever will (I hope).  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM