Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Think I saw something on daybreak this morning where a female employee of A&F was asked to remove her poppy?  Company policy.
In your Endo!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2010, 11:51:04 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 08, 2010, 11:25:22 PM
Keith Woods wore one on BBC for the Ireland game, it made me sick.

You're not supposed to eat them.  ::)

Well I defiantly found it hard to swallow.   ;)

You can't beat a bit of defiance.

(Who's Keith Woods?)

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

gerry

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:14:52 PM
Gerry where is Eddie's poppy on that photo. All I see are three red dots which are much smaller than the poppy on Coulthard's shirt. Looks like blood or maybe he slaughtered his poppy into bits.

for whats its worth he had a larger one on saturday the was slightly hide by the lapel of his jacket
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:39:48 AM
Comparing the Shamrock to the Poppy? Symbols synonymous with each country? Yes.
That is where the similarities end. Not a valid parallel to draw.

In a polarised land maybe.

Both are widely worn in both countries.

As for the Easter Lily, this is obviously a wind up.

In what respect is this a wind up?
Careful now

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:46:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:26:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2010, 02:27:19 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2010, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.

You are still missing the point. Firstly, I never cited Jon Snow, but the issue is that of presenters and people appearing on the media being forced to wear a poppy, with particular reference to Irish people. I haven't seen one person here complain about British people wearing them, if they choose to do so.

Sorry it was Doogie Browser citing Jon Snow. Confused the names.

Firstly is there any proof that Irish people are being 'forced' to wear poppies? That is what you say the issue is.

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave we'd have a field day.

I'm sorry, but you're still missing it. I have no problem with people wearing a poppy on British TV if its their choice, but we learned some years ago from Donna Trainor in the BBC that she was forced to wear one. Thats what I disagree with. I've no problem about the BBC being British and I don't see any evidence on this thread of anyone complaining about this.

Your comparison of the poppy and the shamrock however is absolutely bogus and I hope you realise that. They symbolise 2 completely different things. But on the subject of symbols representing military dead I'd be interested to see how many British people who appeared on Irish TV round Easter time wore Easter lillies

How many Irish wear Easter lilies might be just as relevant a question!

Well I think it is quite obvious that you are no more a nationalist than Myles Na G, Gallsman, you are obviously from 'the other side' attempting to masquerade as a Nationalist, the game is up and the mask is off

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Banana Man on November 09, 2010, 08:12:29 PM
QuoteQuote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:46:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:26:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2010, 02:27:19 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2010, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.

You are still missing the point. Firstly, I never cited Jon Snow, but the issue is that of presenters and people appearing on the media being forced to wear a poppy, with particular reference to Irish people. I haven't seen one person here complain about British people wearing them, if they choose to do so.

Sorry it was Doogie Browser citing Jon Snow. Confused the names.

Firstly is there any proof that Irish people are being 'forced' to wear poppies? That is what you say the issue is.

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave we'd have a field day.

I'm sorry, but you're still missing it. I have no problem with people wearing a poppy on British TV if its their choice, but we learned some years ago from Donna Trainor in the BBC that she was forced to wear one. Thats what I disagree with. I've no problem about the BBC being British and I don't see any evidence on this thread of anyone complaining about this.

Your comparison of the poppy and the shamrock however is absolutely bogus and I hope you realise that. They symbolise 2 completely different things. But on the subject of symbols representing military dead I'd be interested to see how many British people who appeared on Irish TV round Easter time wore Easter lillies

How many Irish wear Easter lilies might be just as relevant a question!

Well I think it is quite obvious that you are no more a nationalist than Myles Na G, Gallsman, you are obviously from 'the other side' attempting to masquerade as a Nationalist, the game is up and the mask is off
Why do you say this? Outside of republican memorials Easter lilies are like hens teeth usually. His point is very valid.

Maguire01

Other than on TV / in the paper, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wear an Easter Lilly.

haranguerer

Milltown Row2

Would it be fair to say if you dislike people wearing a poppy then you're intolerant? I could not careless if someone was wearing a poppy all year, makes no difference to my life, job or my family.

If you are wound up over people you don't know, hang around with or have an influence in your life then i find it very sad.

Just my opinion
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 09, 2010, 08:44:27 PM
Other than on TV / in the paper, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wear an Easter Lilly.

At easter in Killeshandra when I was in my early 20's they used to sell easter lillys in the pubs and most would buy them (except the protestants) but it seems to have died a death. Can't remember the last time I saw them on sale. Maybe we should form a cult demanding everyone wears them or else...

armagho9

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 09, 2010, 09:07:13 PM

At easter in Killeshandra when I was in my early 20's they used to sell easter lillys in the pubs and most would buy them (except the protestants) but it seems to have died a death. Can't remember the last time I saw them on sale. Maybe we should form a cult demanding everyone wears them or else...

still happens in Armagh town and most people still get them

snoopdog

just watching RTE news and some irish business man Kinsella was wearing a poppy.

Maguire01

Quote from: armagho9 on November 09, 2010, 09:20:37 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 09, 2010, 09:07:13 PM

still happens in Armagh town and most people still get them
Most people? Really?

snoopdog

Lads i would have my opinions on Poppys and i wouldnt buy one. But i feel this linki is a bit pointless and maybe even hypocritical. How many of us have relatives who fought in World War 1 or 2 or even both.
I am all for remembering the dead of those 2 wars, alot of them were Irish and they died for a cause against a greater evil.
But im sure some people posting on this site would have prefered if the Nazis had won the war.
I just think people get annoyed every year over this whole poppy thing and for what.
The irish on tv in the uk that wear it most of them havent a clue what happened in the north during the troubles, wewere put to the back of their minds as it didnteffect the vast majority of them.
maybe it would serve better to educate them on the troubles than getting all hot and bothered as these guys arent really making a statement as they prob are not really sure what it is all about.
i have lived down here long enough to know the vast majority dont really know what the troubles were about.

ON another note Manchester United will be the only club in the premiership not to have a poppy sewn on to their shirts this weekend.

Main Street

Stoke 3 Birmingham 2
Stoke's manager Pulis did not wear a poppy, in contrast to Birmingham's manager McLeish, who wore one.