Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2010, 02:27:19 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2010, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.

You are still missing the point. Firstly, I never cited Jon Snow, but the issue is that of presenters and people appearing on the media being forced to wear a poppy, with particular reference to Irish people. I haven't seen one person here complain about British people wearing them, if they choose to do so.
Careful now

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 08, 2010, 11:25:22 PM
Keith Woods wore one on BBC for the Ireland game, it made me sick.

You're not supposed to eat them.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Lads, I was feeling hungry last night and was too tired to cook something. I ordered in a chippy. The guy that delivered it, was wearing a Poppy. Just want to double check here first. Should I be aggrieved by this, or is it ok to let this one slide?
Testing Accessibility

town lad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 08, 2010, 10:25:33 PM
Bit of a joke of with Celtic. Its not like these fans broke a law by protesting against poppy's? It wasn't rascist or anything was it? So on what charge will they be banned? This is the nasty side of the poppy where freedom of choice is removed - for f**k sake the whole teams in scotland have to have it on their jersey for one weekend!
Off course  it was not against the law. But it certainly was in bad taste. Irish Political activists should leave there grapes at the turnstiles. After all Celtic as club practically begging to get into the English Premier league.

muppet

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:26:54 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.

You are still missing the point. Firstly, I never cited Jon Snow, but the issue is that of presenters and people appearing on the media being forced to wear a poppy, with particular reference to Irish people. I haven't seen one person here complain about British people wearing them, if they choose to do so.

Sorry it was Doogie Browser citing Jon Snow. Confused the names.

Firstly is there any proof that Irish people are being 'forced' to wear poppies? That is what you say the issue is.

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave we'd have a field day.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on November 08, 2010, 11:28:44 PM
Lads, I was feeling hungry last night and was too tired to cook something. I ordered in a chippy. The guy that delivered it, was wearing a Poppy. Just want to double check here first. Should I be aggrieved by this, or is it ok to let this one slide?

Now why would you be aggrieved Ziggy, ya rascal ziggy, lol. Unless of course, that was all he was wearing?

Actually, that reminds me of how some of the media reported Lady GaGa waving the tricolour in her concert. It made a selection of her audience feel uncomfortable. Why?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:34:12 PM

Firstly is there any proof that Irish people are being 'forced' to wear poppies? That is what you say the issue is.

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave out we'd have a field day.

Not me. I've had enough gathering shamrock to last me a life time.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dougal Maguire

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave we'd have a field day.

I'm sorry, but you're still missing it. I have no problem with people wearing a poppy on British TV if its their choice, but we learned some years ago from Donna Trainor in the BBC that she was forced to wear one. Thats what I disagree with. I've no problem about the BBC being British and I don't see any evidence on this thread of anyone complaining about this.

Your comparison of the poppy and the shamrock however is absolutely bogus and I hope you realise that. They symbolise 2 completely different things. But on the subject of symbols representing military dead I'd be interested to see how many British people who appeared on Irish TV round Easter time wore Easter lillies
Careful now

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 08, 2010, 11:46:44 PM

I'm sorry, but you're still missing it. I have no problem with people wearing a poppy on British TV if its their choice, but we learned some years ago from Donna Trainor in the BBC that she was forced to wear one. Thats what I disagree with. I've no problem about the BBC being British and I don't see any evidence on this thread of anyone complaining about this.

Your comparison of the poppy and the shamrock however is absolutely bogus and I hope you realise that. They symbolise 2 completely different things. But on the subject of symbols representing military dead I'd be interested to see how many British people who appeared on Irish TV round Easter time wore Easter lillies

How many Irish wear Easter lilies might be just as relevant a question!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:27:03 PM

Well I defiantly found it hard to swallow.   ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ballinaman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM

Thats what she said.

Nally Stand

Comparing the Shamrock to the Poppy? Symbols synonymous with each country? Yes.
That is where the similarities end. Not a valid parallel to draw.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM

You can't beat a bit of defiance.

(Who's Keith Woods?)

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:39:48 AM

In a polarised land maybe.

Both are widely worn in both countries.

As for the Easter Lily, this is obviously a wind up.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:39:48 AM

In a polarised land maybe.

Both are widely worn in both countries.

As for the Easter Lily, this is obviously a wind up.

Both are widely worn but as I say, it's where the similarities end. The Shamrock is not for fund raising and it certainly is not for the benefit of occupational forces.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore