Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Bob Fisk has an interesting article on the whole poppy mallarkey in some of today's papers. Now I know he is not everybody's cup of tea but his Dad did serve in WWI (and in Ireland to quell those pesky rebels in 1916) and later on in life his Dad felt this poppy wearing was an insult to those who fought and died in the muck and shite of the trenches.

More or less "hey, look at me, I'm wearing a poppy. I soooooo feel your pain".

Go home ref

Quote from: Hospital Road on November 11, 2011, 01:17:54 PM

Cuimhnigh ar mhairbh, atá tar éis titim le haghaidh ár saoirse
I gcás dearmad orainn

We use this to remember those who fought for freedom

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Go home ref on November 11, 2011, 02:51:57 PM
Quote from: Hospital Road on November 11, 2011, 01:17:54 PM

Cuimhnigh ar mhairbh, atá tar éis titim le haghaidh ár saoirse
I gcás dearmad orainn

We use this to remember those who fought for freedom

I usually hate both these symbols, but there is some beautiful symmetry about the pics and lanugage.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Where I was working today I heard someone ask a service user if they had observed the minutes silence, I turned to see it was a colleague talking. Then I looked up at the clock it was 11.15, and I realised that I had inadvertently spent the previous 15 minutes regaling an English audience about how proud a day it was having our 9'th President Inagurated today. They had been all questions throughout. Only then was it realised that the room had spent the previous 15 minutes discussing this moment in the history of Ireland and its Republic. This was not a conscious act on my behalf, but I did have a smirk on my face when I realised what had happened. Up the Republic  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Maguire01

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 10, 2011, 03:11:40 PM
Do people still wear these if they are not on television? I haven't seen a single one all year.

And I've been to Sprucefield.
You must have missed M&S - Poppy-fest this past couple of days, probably due to the fact that they were selling them on the door.

ardal

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 11, 2011, 06:05:21 PM
Where I was working today I heard someone ask a service user if they had observed the minutes silence, I turned to see it was a colleague talking. Then I looked up at the clock it was 11.15, and I realised that I had inadvertently spent the previous 15 minutes regaling an English audience about how proud a day it was having our 9'th President Inagurated today. They had been all questions throughout. Only then was it realised that the room had spent the previous 15 minutes discussing this moment in the history of Ireland and its Republic. This was not a conscious act on my behalf, but I did have a smirk on my face when I realised what had happened. Up the Republic  ;)

You were regaling an English audience? I'm guessing you work on a London bus

thebigfella

Sure you did.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 11, 2011, 02:05:54 PM
Bob Fisk has an interesting article on the whole poppy mallarkey in some of today's papers. Now I know he is not everybody's cup of tea but his Dad did serve in WWI (and in Ireland to quell those pesky rebels in 1916) and later on in life his Dad felt this poppy wearing was an insult to those who fought and died in the muck and shite of the trenches.

More or less "hey, look at me, I'm wearing a poppy. I soooooo feel your pain".

It's pasted in a few pages back.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tank fcuk it's all over come today/Sunday/actually when do the tossers stop wearing them?
Tbc....

Maguire01

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 12, 2011, 02:30:55 AM
Tank fcuk it's all over come today/Sunday/actually when do the t**sers stop wearing them?
Does it really bother you that much?!

Gaffer

Tank fcuk it's all over come today/Sunday/actually when do the t**sers stop wearing them?

So anyone who wears a poppy is a t@@ser? 

A sectarian a comment as you could not wish to read considering the vast majority of people from N Ireland who wear them are protestants.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

theskull1

Where does one go to with well considered comments like this  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AQMP

It used to be Remembrance Day or Remembrance Sunday.  I note the BBC on Friday referred to Remembrance Weekend and another media outlet referred to Remembrance Week.  It's getting like Christmas.

gallsman

Why not find someone wearing a poppy and ask him "Here, tosser, when do you plan to stop wearing that?".

See how that goes down.

stew

What a guy, you da man. The republic is lucky to have a lad such as yourself to hold an English audience spellboiund at the very minute they were supposed to be thinking about their fallen soldiers, I see what you did there, Ireland 1 England 0.

You are full of shite and that story proves it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.