Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

red hander

I believe the new SDLP leader isn't going to follow the lead of the political leviathan he replaced by wearing a poppy at the city hall cenotaph on Sunday ... expect the whining and gnashing of teeth from the poppy fascists to get even worse, f**king remembrance nazis

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: red hander on November 10, 2011, 08:32:21 PM
I believe the new SDLP leader isn't going to follow the lead of the political leviathan he replaced by wearing a poppy at the city hall cenotaph on Sunday ... expect the whining and gnashing of teeth from the poppy fascists to get even worse, f**king remembrance nazis

Will wait to see.

See the papers now feel that they have to put a poppy on their front page banners from yesterday!
This is getting sickening, and the idiots who buy into it I'm losing all respect for.
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2011, 07:26:58 PM
Who's the bird?

Some wan from Eastenders called Poppy, she looks better than photo, but it was the only one I could find with her on her own.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Applesisapples

Guys there are some really mixed up views here. I have no affinity for the poppy given my upbringing, even though I had relatives killed in a British Uniform. The poppy is a fund raising tool of the British Legion and in fairness to them they have done a great job at getting at the forefront of peoples minds in November. But we have to sort out the issues.
1. It is a fund raising tool which allows the Legion to support soldiers who having been sent off to war by there political masters only to be forgotton about when they return.
2. Steve Earle recently observed that the one thing all those who started wars had in common was that they were not the ones fighting them. And in fairness to the Brits unlike the Americans they at least recognise their dead.
3. We have to separate the unjustness of war, and no one can stand over the conflict in Iraq or Afghanistan, from the working class men and women from all parts of these Islands who end up on the front line...hardly by choice.
4. Unionists in NI have done the poppy a great disservice by politicising it in much the same way they accuse SF of politicising the Irish language.
5. Given the Irish experience of the British Army over the last 100 years we are hardly objective are we, and there really is no political agenda with those in Britain who promote the poppy, that is not to say that governments might exploit this for their own selfish and strategic ends.
6. Personally I will never wear a poppy because I don't consider myself British and therefore their army is not my army and it fought and killed my fellow countrymen. But I do believe if we as Nationalists and Republicans expect respect for our culture and traditions then we must also show tolerance for the culture and traditions of others even though we may not agree with them or find it distasteful.
7.Some Unionists and the so called poppy fascists are actually in danger of destroying the poppy as fund raising tool by their lack of tolerance for those who do not wish to wear one for whatever reason.

NAG1

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2011, 09:55:22 AM
Guys there are some really mixed up views here. I have no affinity for the poppy given my upbringing, even though I had relatives killed in a British Uniform. The poppy is a fund raising tool of the British Legion and in fairness to them they have done a great job at getting at the forefront of peoples minds in November. But we have to sort out the issues.
1. It is a fund raising tool which allows the Legion to support soldiers who having been sent off to war by there political masters only to be forgotton about when they return.
2. Steve Earle recently observed that the one thing all those who started wars had in common was that they were not the ones fighting them. And in fairness to the Brits unlike the Americans they at least recognise their dead.
3. We have to separate the unjustness of war, and no one can stand over the conflict in Iraq or Afghanistan, from the working class men and women from all parts of these Islands who end up on the front line...hardly by choice.
4. Unionists in NI have done the poppy a great disservice by politicising it in much the same way they accuse SF of politicising the Irish language.
5. Given the Irish experience of the British Army over the last 100 years we are hardly objective are we, and there really is no political agenda with those in Britain who promote the poppy, that is not to say that governments might exploit this for their own selfish and strategic ends.
6. Personally I will never wear a poppy because I don't consider myself British and therefore their army is not my army and it fought and killed my fellow countrymen. But I do believe if we as Nationalists and Republicans expect respect for our culture and traditions then we must also show tolerance for the culture and traditions of others even though we may not agree with them or find it distasteful.
7.Some Unionists and the so called poppy fascists are actually in danger of destroying the poppy as fund raising tool by their lack of tolerance for those who do not wish to wear one for whatever reason.

Top class post +1

EC Unique

Quote from: Christmas Lights on November 10, 2011, 04:23:43 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2011, 07:36:03 PM
Here is one Poppy I wouldn't mind laying  ;D

MEH

Might be nice around Mayo but does nothing for me. Average face and zero breasts...

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2011, 09:55:22 AM

There should be no need for the legion in this day and age, if the gov send them out to get maimed  then it should be gov that look after them when they get back, not a Charity.

None of these "heros" are conscripts, they are career soldiers, no one forces them to take the risk, they do it for money.

The Unionists poppy fascism is small beans compared to the under current of revolt here in England. There are just as many, if not more, shuddering at the dianafication of the whole thing as there are those trying to force it down the throat  - the england football debarcle a prime example.

Applesisapples

Bollocks, thats like saying there's no need for Macmillan or Mencap or Trocaire. They may not be conscripts but economic necessity and lack of opportunity force many to join the army. Just look at the upsurge of recruits from the ROI since the bailout. i agree that the whole football shirt thing is a step too far and it is a fact that the government is using it as a tool. but this does not take away from the charitable acts that these funds allow. But as I thought I had made clear if as an Irishman you don't want to support or wear one then don't your choice after all its a British thing why get upset.

BennyCake

No wars = no need for a poppy fund. Simple.

thejuice

missed the whole minute silence thing in the office today. No one was watching the clock.

But funnily a colleague said, and this is news to me,  it's for remembering ALL soldiers who fought and died in ALL wars, EVER!  ???

Guess that includes my Great-granddad who fought in the war of independence. Friend of the family was killed in Lebanon too.

News to me, as I say.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Applesisapples

Ahh shit I forgot to remember!!

Minder

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 11, 2011, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: red hander on November 10, 2011, 08:32:21 PM

Will wait to see.

See the papers now feel that they have to put a poppy on their front page banners from yesterday!
This is getting sickening, and the idiots who buy into it I'm losing all respect for.

McDonnell has confirmed he won't be wearing a poppy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

glens abu

On every recruiting platform in Dublin you will see the faces of the men who in 1913-14 met together day by day to tell of their plans to murder our women and children by starvation, and are now appealing to the men of those women and children to fight in order to save the precious skins of the gangs that conspired to starve and outrage them.

Who are the recruiters in Dublin? Who is it that sits ......on every recruiting committee, that spouts for recruits from every recruiting platform?

Who are they? They are the men who set the police upon the unarmed people in O'Connell Street, who filled the jails with our young working class girls, who batoned and imprisoned hundreds of Dublin workers, who racked and pillaged the poor rooms of the poorest of our class, who plied policemen with drink, suborned and hired perjurers to give false evidence, murdered John Byrne and James Nolan and Alice Brady, and in the midst of a Dublin reeking with horror and reeling with suffering and pain publicly gloated over our misery and exulted in their power to get 'three square meals per day' for their own overfed stomachs.

These are the recruiters. Every Irish man or boy who joins at their call gives these carrion a fresh victory over the Dublin working class – over the working class of all Ireland.

The trenches safer than the Dublin slums! We may yet see the day that the trenches will be safer for these gentry than any part of Dublin

theskull1

There is an ugly propaganda that is subconciously being propigated by the ruling elite. All major institutions are playing their part

"Take some time to reflect on the sacrifice of our solders but don't dwell on the reasons and the individuals who put them in harms way "

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera