Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2011, 11:35:54 PM
Brought up on Spotlight tonight. Raymond McCartney, Conal McDevitt and Arlene Foster all happy to say they have no objection to a member of the other community wearing/not wearing (delete as appropriate) a poppy.

Mike Nesbitt shown to be a bit of a bollox saying he does get het up when he sees people not wearing one.

Arlene was sporting two poppies all day yesterday to make up for someone from the 'other community' not wearing one  :D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: aontroim on November 09, 2011, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2011, 11:35:54 PM
Brought up on Spotlight tonight. Raymond McCartney, Conal McDevitt and Arlene Foster all happy to say they have no objection to a member of the other community wearing/not wearing (delete as appropriate) a poppy.

Mike Nesbitt shown to be a bit of a bollox saying he does get het up when he sees people not wearing one.

Arlene was sporting two poppies all day yesterday to make up for someone from the 'other community' not wearing one  :D

Seen that alright, does that mean she's twice as good at remembering?  :)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 09, 2011, 09:48:10 AM
I see from Gabrielle Marcotti on twitter that England played Sweden 10/11/01 and had no poppies or black armbands so what makes them more relevant now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJMlXOzJxc

It's called trying to legitimise their involvement in 2 wars to the British public - see club teams having to wear them, soldiers on the pitches, mention of and wearing in popular British soaps ( Corrie and Eastenders, also Collection boxes on the bar counters etc).
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Wonder will I be allowed to wear one of these at work on the 11'th?

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Here is one Poppy I wouldn't mind laying  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 09, 2011, 11:50:24 AM
I see from Gabrielle Marcotti on twitter that England played Sweden 10/11/01 and had no poppies or black armbands so what makes them more relevant now?

It's called trying to legitimise their involvement in 2 wars to the British public - see club teams having to wear them, soldiers on the pitches, mention of and wearing in popular British soaps ( Corrie and Eastenders, also Collection boxes on the bar counters etc).
WWI and WWII?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

BennyCake

The Brits are so feckin clueless with their "they fought for our freedom" bollix, "Our troops do a great job in Iraq, Afghanistan, keeping us free from madmen" etc etc. Troops don't fight for the common man, they fight for psychopathic loonies who run the world. If you buy a poppy, you're supporting war. Simple as that.

By the way, the BBC should be impartial and not support one charity over another. Therefore their presenters should not wear any poppies.

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2011, 09:55:23 PM
Poppy Fascism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3CEX9ATVM

Jesus, that woman is frighteningly stupid and jingoistic and perfectly personifies the poppy fascist. She's so thick she unwittingly did more to make the case against poppyism than any of the other contributors.

saffron sam2

Do people still wear these if they are not on television? I haven't seen a single one all year.

And I've been to Sprucefield.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2011, 08:07:15 PM

WWI and WWII?

Tony I think you know rightly I meant Iraq and Afghanistan.
Hence the rise of "Poppy promotion" in the last number of years.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 10, 2011, 03:11:40 PM
Do people still wear these if they are not on television? I haven't seen a single one all year.

And I've been to Sprucefield.

You must have gone there via Twinbrook  ;) ;D
Tbc....

AQMP

To be honest I'd have to say the numbers of wearers in Enniskillen this year seems to be greater than in other years. 

Christmas Lights

year til sunday

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 10, 2011, 03:36:07 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2011, 08:07:15 PM

WWI and WWII?

Tony I think you know rightly I meant Iraq and Afghanistan.
Hence the rise of "Poppy promotion" in the last number of years.

totally agree with the above, it is not an issue of respecting those who died in WW's I & II, its a politically motivated attempt at desensatising the British public re their current involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan. i heard it on talksport today Keys & Grey mentioning the soldiers coming back from these places in a box we're being remembered via poppy's, well if that doesn't nail politics to the poppy then i don't know what will. i wonder what talksport or the british public would have to say if the (rep of) Ireland team were to put an easter lilly on their jerseys? finally, don't you think its showing a distinct lack of respect to the WW I & II fallen to act this way in the 21st century, particularly as the England football team played matches all throughout the noughties without a sign of a poppy on the jersey