Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Lads the Guy Fawkes thing is a non issue. Whilst Fawkes was a catholic trying to blow up parliament the English approach to religion has always been a little bit more complicated than our own. Although legally the catholic religion was suppressed this did not stop catholic lords and earls being at the heart of government. But anyway all significance has been forgotton as people now see it as a night to enjoy just like halloween with no political or religious baggage. In relation to the poppy, it is undoubtedly in a good cause, but the Irish view of it has been somewhat skewed by our experience of their army, not withstanding that many of us had relatives killed in that uniform. But biggest disservice to the poppy in NI has been none by unionists insisting that the y ram it down nationalist throats as a political symbol. The hysteria the Poundland case gave rise to is proof of this. The sensible uniform code which prevents the wearing of badges and embloms has been binned, I look forwrd to them all wearing easter lilies and shamrock when the time comes.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2011, 02:01:49 PM
Lads the Guy Fawkes thing is a non issue. Whilst Fawkes was a catholic trying to blow up parliament the English approach to religion has always been a little bit more complicated than our own. Although legally the catholic religion was suppressed this did not stop catholic lords and earls being at the heart of government. But anyway all significance has been forgotton as people now see it as a night to enjoy just like halloween with no political or religious baggage. In relation to the poppy, it is undoubtedly in a good cause, but the Irish view of it has been somewhat skewed by our experience of their army, not withstanding that many of us had relatives killed in that uniform. But biggest disservice to the poppy in NI has been none by unionists insisting that the y ram it down nationalist throats as a political symbol. The hysteria the Poundland case gave rise to is proof of this. The sensible uniform code which prevents the wearing of badges and embloms has been binned, I look forwrd to them all wearing easter lilies and shamrock when the time comes.

+1. I wonder how many Catholics in England huddle indoors on the 5th of November for fear of being chucked on a bonfire

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2011, 02:01:49 PM

+1. I wonder how many Catholics in England huddle indoors on the 5th of November for fear of being chucked on a bonfire

Not sure, but this Atheist in England finds it a horrible event.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:05:32 PM+1. I wonder how many Catholics in England huddle indoors on the 5th of November for fear of being chucked on a bonfire

So you avoid fireworks displays? Each to their own, but you're missing a great show

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:19:36 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:05:32 PM+1. I wonder how many Catholics in England huddle indoors on the 5th of November for fear of being chucked on a bonfire

So you avoid fireworks displays? Each to their own, but you're missing a great show

Ya my mates all invited me out to Sefton Park for saturday night fireworks. A big group of them going. I will be staying in that night, like I did last year (blinds shut and music up loud to drown out the fireworks).

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 02:26:26 PM
Ya my mates all invited me out to Sefton Park for saturday night fireworks. A big group of them going. I will be staying in that night, like I did last year (blinds shut and music up loud to drown out the fireworks).

Never fear, I'll be in Sefton Park enjoying the display enough for two people

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:33:32 PM

Sure you might as well wear a second poppy too so   ;)  :D

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 02:43:46 PM

Ad hominem attacks. Ho hum.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:54:52 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 02:43:46 PM

Ad hominem attacks. Ho hum.

Not at all, I presume you where implying you could enjoy the fireworks on my behalf despite it being against my will. So you might as well wear my poppy too, coz I certainly will never wear one. People being forced or peer-presured into wearing poppies seems to be the trend.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 03:02:49 PM
Not at all, I presume you where implying you could enjoy the fireworks on my behalf despite it being against my will. So you might as well wear my poppy too, coz I certainly will never wear one. People being forced or peer-presured into wearing poppies seems to be the trend.

You've decided I wear a poppy because I said something you disgree with. As I said, ad hominem

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:18:41 PMHow progressive, a black man  :o
Oh ffs!

When someone supplies a link to a story, you might be advised to read it before replying:

"Edenbridge Bonfire Society picked Balotelli for their annual display after he hit the headlines last month.

The Italian's house was set on fire after his friends let off fireworks in the bathroom of his Cheshire mansion.

Balotelli, who denied any involvement, then fronted a firework-safety campaign at the club's Carrington training ground.

He is the latest sports star to go up in flames at Edenbridge - with Wayne Rooney the star of 2010. Each year the group pick a celebrity who has been in the news."

I suppose Wayne Rooney was chosen for being a Muslim or something... ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 03:07:43 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 03:02:49 PM

You've decided I wear a poppy because I said something you disgree with. As I said, ad hominem

Your comment was in the spirit of the peer-pressure/forcing of poppies to be worn. This is the Poppy thread afterall. Basically don't bother enjoying the fireworks on my behalf.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 03, 2011, 03:10:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:18:41 PMHow progressive, a black man  :o
Oh ffs!

When someone supplies a link to a story, you might be advised to read it before replying:

"Edenbridge Bonfire Society picked Balotelli for their annual display after he hit the headlines last month.

The Italian's house was set on fire after his friends let off fireworks in the bathroom of his Cheshire mansion.

Balotelli, who denied any involvement, then fronted a firework-safety campaign at the club's Carrington training ground.

He is the latest sports star to go up in flames at Edenbridge - with Wayne Rooney the star of 2010. Each year the group pick a celebrity who has been in the news."

I suppose Wayne Rooney was chosen for being a Muslim or something... ::)

You have reposted the exact same post twice. Did you expect a different answer this time.

You do realise the blackman comment was tongue in cheek, in case that was not obvious.

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:21:28 PMEvil Genius - Do you actully not see anything wrong with the whole Guy Fawkes night in the U.K.?
I suppose in theory it is distasteful, but in practice, I simply cannot get worked up by kids collecting "A Penny for the Guy" so as to buy fireworks and have a bonfire etc.

This is because the "Guy" in question died over 400 years ago and 99%+ of the kids have no real idea who he was, never mind hold an opinion on whether he was a "Martyr persecuted for his Catholic Faith", or a "would-be Mass Murderer", who had plotted to kill hundreds of his fellow countrymen, including many of his co-religionists etc.

Above all, it's not as if these "celebrations" are officially sanctioned, or promoted/financed by the Government, therefore it is open to all to participate or shun, as each individual thinks fit.

And in any case, this particular poster is too busy protesting about Halloween and its origins in Witchcraft, Black Magic and Heresy etc, to have time to go out and picket the Boney in my local Park... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Enough

Wear a poppy support a murderer!