Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: cicfada on November 02, 2011, 08:51:24 PM
It is irritating to read the people complaining about the  wearing of the poppy on tv..it's not like they have  a choice now is it?? And that in my opinion is exactly what is wrong with the whole poppy thing!! I mean I am sure there are people of a nationalist bent who have  had family members who fought against the nazis and in world war 1 but who don't wear the poppy. Why?.....It was shoved down their throats time and time  again that they had to wear it!! So much for free will huh??
Whilst I buy a Poppy myself every year, I agree that it should not be compulsory.

That said, whilst Broadcasters etc seemed (formally or informally?) to have adopted such a policy around a decade ago, I sense that this last year or two the policy seems to have been dropped, since from what I can see, Poppy wearing amongst TV presenters etc is no longer universal.

Imo this is a good thing.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

'persecuted and 'ordinary folk' planters who no doubt ousted natives from their own land - so the hypocrisy started a long time back then.
presumably you were too young to march with the civil rights folk about the opression and persecution upon the innocent catholic/Irish/working class/nationalists etc - but no doubt your parents and their families marched and actively opposed this establishment lead disgrace - if not then they were uphholding the establishment ethos and therefore upholding the planter ideaology !

see you comment about 'playing the man' to someone else on the prev page - somewhat ironic, though you prob admit to being a repeat offender yourself by now (in which case this isnt a problem).

lynchbhoy

jeez if people want to buy and wear a fecking poppy - so what.
OK some fcukwits will see this as a chance to triumphalise, but prob about time that we....
'moved on' perhaps - as is the oft used phrase these days !!  :D

Evil Genius

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2011, 11:47:01 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:08:47 AM
Trio charged after poppy burning

Three teenagers have appeared in court after a photograph was posted on social networking site facebook showing a poppy being burnt.
The trio have been charged with incitement to hatred.

Two 17-year -olds and a 16-year-old, who is also charged with improper use of the public electronic communications network, appeared in court on Wednesday.

An investigation was launched after officers were made aware of the pictures.

Wonder would there have been the same response if it had been Easter lilies?
Or posters, flags, soccer and GAA tops on top of bonfires?

All over the U.K. they will be burning effigies up and down the country on saturday  >:(

And how many of them will have to suffer a criminal record or the stigma of a court appearence!

Good to see the PSNI are out catching the "real" criminals though.
In fairnes to the Police a complaint was made by the British Legion and they are obliged to investigate.

Granted.
But arrested and criminal charges!!!!!

Slightly more serious incidents need investagating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15565521

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15539656

http://www.u.tv/News/Two-elderly-NI-women-attacked-in-their-homes/5645c449-8fb8-4d88-a4a8-7e7af6775ec2

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=134470

All incidents within the last week and a bit.
No would deny that such crimes as you cite are more serious than the Poppy Burning. Then again, they are being investigated, too.

Of course, if you were to argue that it is eg a waste of police resources to follow-up this incident, even when a complaint is made, then we would find ourselves back in the day when the Police themselves decided which crimes to investigate, and which to let quietly drop.

And no doubt you complained about that, too... ::)

Late Edit: You do appreciate that it will not have been the PSNI who decided to bring charges, but the PPS?  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Evil Genius - Do you actully not see anything wrong with the whole Guy Fawkes night in the U.K.?

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:18:41 PMHow progressive, a black man  :o
Oh ffs!

When someone supplies a link to a story, you might be advised to read it before replying:

"Edenbridge Bonfire Society picked Balotelli for their annual display after he hit the headlines last month.

The Italian's house was set on fire after his friends let off fireworks in the bathroom of his Cheshire mansion.

Balotelli, who denied any involvement, then fronted a firework-safety campaign at the club's Carrington training ground.

He is the latest sports star to go up in flames at Edenbridge - with Wayne Rooney the star of 2010. Each year the group pick a celebrity who has been in the news."

I suppose Wayne Rooney was chosen for being a Muslim or something... ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 03, 2011, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:18:41 PMHow progressive, a black man  :o
Oh ffs!

When someone supplies a link to a story, you might be advised to read it before replying:

"Edenbridge Bonfire Society picked Balotelli for their annual display after he hit the headlines last month.

The Italian's house was set on fire after his friends let off fireworks in the bathroom of his Cheshire mansion.

Balotelli, who denied any involvement, then fronted a firework-safety campaign at the club's Carrington training ground.

He is the latest sports star to go up in flames at Edenbridge - with Wayne Rooney the star of 2010. Each year the group pick a celebrity who has been in the news."

I suppose Wayne Rooney was chosen for being a Muslim or something... ::)

Missed the link. Well Rooney is Irish-stock Scouse Catholic, so he probably fits the bill just right. Yes I know, I was watching the match. The whole thing is based in sectarian hatred, some still see it that way, while most are happy to ignore its true origins. Of course this a country that has no problem with a statue of Oliver Cromwell sitting outside their parliament. Its also a country that let a group of sectarian hoodlums march through areas they are not wanted just to show the locals who are the boss. A country that until a few days ago would not allow Catholics to become head of state or give women a fair chance to achieve that position. It still restricts 99.99999% of its population from ever becoming head of their own state.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
Evil Genius - Do you actully not see anything wrong with the whole Guy Fawkes night in the U.K.?

I suppose you'll want the Monument in London pulled down as well...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Perhaps if you show the full picture Deiseach rather than that shot, I may be able to answer your question.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 03, 2011, 01:16:22 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2011, 11:47:01 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 03, 2011, 11:08:47 AM
Trio charged after poppy burning

Three teenagers have appeared in court after a photograph was posted on social networking site facebook showing a poppy being burnt.
The trio have been charged with incitement to hatred.

Two 17-year -olds and a 16-year-old, who is also charged with improper use of the public electronic communications network, appeared in court on Wednesday.

An investigation was launched after officers were made aware of the pictures.

Wonder would there have been the same response if it had been Easter lilies?
Or posters, flags, soccer and GAA tops on top of bonfires?

All over the U.K. they will be burning effigies up and down the country on saturday  >:(

And how many of them will have to suffer a criminal record or the stigma of a court appearence!

Good to see the PSNI are out catching the "real" criminals though.
In fairnes to the Police a complaint was made by the British Legion and they are obliged to investigate.

Granted.
But arrested and criminal charges!!!!!

Slightly more serious incidents need investagating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15565521

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15539656

http://www.u.tv/News/Two-elderly-NI-women-attacked-in-their-homes/5645c449-8fb8-4d88-a4a8-7e7af6775ec2

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=134470

All incidents within the last week and a bit.
No would deny that such crimes as you cite are more serious than the Poppy Burning. Then again, they are being investigated, too.

Of course, if you were to argue that it is eg a waste of police resources to follow-up this incident, even when a complaint is made, then we would find ourselves back in the day when the Police themselves decided which crimes to investigate, and which to let quietly drop.

And no doubt you complained about that, too... ::)

Which I didn't argue.
Lets hope that the other cases get the PROMPT response from the PSNI that the case involving the 3 teenagers recieved.
It's good to see that you admit that the RUC were a corrupt self servicing "police" force.
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

May I suggest one of these lads EG for there next bonfire.

I thought not.

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:35:04 PMA country that until a few days ago would not allow Catholics to become head of state

As far as I know, Catholics still need not apply for the job of head of state of the UK.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 01:42:55 PM
Perhaps if you show the full picture Deiseach rather than that shot, I may be able to answer your question.