Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

"Shit Happens - Get over it"

This from a hypocrite who was giving out about Martin McGuinness.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 01:10:51 AM

No hypocrisy on my part whatever.

My "Shit Happens" post was in response to your bringing up events of 400 years ago.

Whereas the activities of the likes of Martin McGuinness directly impinge upon all of our day-to-day lives.

I have been ever consistent in my stance that whilst we should not ignore History, neither should we be bound by it. In particular, we should not use the good deeds or achievements of our ancestors to excuse or mitigate our own misdeeds, or fail to acknowledge the good works of someone just because his/her distant ancestors may have been rogues.

So if you want to invoke Bloody Sunday, or I Bloody Friday, in furtherance of some point, then that is entirely legitimate (imo).

But if you are going to insist upon bringing up events from the long distant past like The Plantation of 1608, when we are meant to be debating Current Affairs*, then my response will continue to be "Shit Happens - Get Over It"  ::)

* - The clue is in the word "Current", by the way...

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mylestheslasher

So what is the shelf life for an historic event and who gets to decide. There are a lot of people around the world fighting for Jesus or Allah, them boys are long gone.

armaghniac

QuoteMy "Shit Happens" post was in response to your bringing up events of 400 years ago.
Whereas the activities of the likes of Martin McGuinness directly impinge upon all of our day-to-day lives.

So events of 400 years ago do not impinge on our day- to- day lives today?

QuoteIn particular, we should not use the good deeds or achievements of our ancestors to excuse or mitigate our own misdeeds, or fail to acknowledge the good works of someone just because his/her distant ancestors may have been rogues.

I couldn't agree more. Nobody is responsible for their ancestors unless they choose to associate themselves with them. 

However, if their ancestors were evil and they continue to pursue their objectives then history does not belong solely in the past.

Evil Genius

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2011, 02:29:13 PMSo what is the shelf life for an historic event
For me, the Rule of Thumb should be Living Memory i.e. events which directly impinge (or impinged) upon people still around today.

I mean, it would be nice to be able to take into consideration the feelings of people who lived and died, say, a Century or more ago, but I don't think it's very practical...

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2011, 02:29:13 PM... and who gets to decide.
Well if my own Rule is unacceptable, perhaps we should hold a "Dutch Auction" to decide? 

In which case, I'll start the search for a "Historical Sell-By Date" at 1189...

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2011, 02:29:13 PMThere are a lot of people around the world fighting for Jesus or Allah, them boys are long gone.
Tbf, if Allah or Jesus turns up at the Polling Booth on Election Day, and pay their taxes on time, then they should have the same voting rights as everyone else.

But in the meantime, I think we should continue to crack down on this kind of shit:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056467/Charlie-Hebdo-French-magazines-offices-torched-mocks-Prophet-Mohammed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 02:45:48 PM
QuoteMy "Shit Happens" post was in response to your bringing up events of 400 years ago.

So events of 400 years ago do not impinge on our day- to- day lives today?

QuoteIn particular, we should not use the good deeds or achievements of our ancestors to excuse or mitigate our own misdeeds, or fail to acknowledge the good works of someone just because his/her distant ancestors may have been rogues.

I couldn't agree more. Nobody is responsible for their ancestors unless they choose to associate themselves with them. 

However, if their ancestors were evil and they continue to pursue their objectives then history does not belong solely in the past.
OK, OK, I accept I should have made it easier for you than "Shit Happens - Get Over It".

How about: "Some People did some Bad Things to Some Other People, like, 400 Years Ago. Isn't it Time YOU Got Over It?"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mylestheslasher

We should probably set a date for decommissioning of the poppy badge. The sash and bowler hat is long overdue.

armaghniac

QuoteHow about: "Some People did some Bad Things to Some Other People, like, 400 Years Ago. Isn't it Time YOU Got Over It?"

Don't be obtuse. It is very simple, I couldn't care less what your ancestors did or what happened 400 years ago or 1400 years ago or whenever. I live in the present. I couldn't care less if your ancestors tried to make Ireland a vassal of Britain, if you do not share this objective in the present.

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 02, 2011, 12:21:21 AM
Where do I say  that the Book of Kells was written in Irish. ;) :P :-*

A and then, when called on it, replies:
"I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way",
the inference is clear and unmistakeable: he (you) hadn't realised it was in Latin.  :D

I knew that was in bloody Latin.
I meant that the type of learned people who could produce things like that were more than capable of having a standardised spelling system.
But much better to jump to an oul  conclusion that tries to make a lad out to be a thick. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 02, 2011, 02:14:22 PM

My "Shit Happens" post was in response to your bringing up events of 400 years ago.

I have been ever consistent in my stance that whilst we should not ignore History, neither should we be bound by it. In particular, we should not use the good deeds or achievements of our ancestors to excuse or mitigate our own misdeeds, or fail to acknowledge the good works of someone just because his/her distant ancestors may have been rogues.

So if you want to invoke Bloody Sunday, or I Bloody Friday, in furtherance of some point, then that is entirely legitimate (imo).

But if you are going to insist upon bringing up events from the long distant past like The Plantation of 1608, when we are meant to be debating Current Affairs*, then my response will continue to be "Shit Happens - Get Over It"  ::)

He is right, for a person fropm a community that continues to refer to the battle of the boyne, the siege of derry, the drowning of some planters in the bann in the 17th century and numerous other events from our past to want to keep the debate current is hypocrisy. History starts every second, yesterday is history. But since you are only interested in being a wum I have no doubt you will continue to rave on. But in my opinion history is relevaent as context and should only be viewed as such.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 03:37:19 PMIt is very simple, I couldn't care less what your ancestors did or what happened 400 years ago or 1400 years ago or whenever. I live in the present.
Says the man who asked: "So events of 400 years ago do not impinge on our day- to- day lives today?"

P.S. The answer to your question, btw, is "Only if you are determined that they should". On which point I would remind you that it is you  who was banging on about the Plantation... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 02, 2011, 02:14:22 PM

He is right, for a person fropm a community that continues to refer to the battle of the boyne, the siege of derry, the drowning of some planters in the bann in the 17th century and numerous other events from our past to want to keep the debate current is hypocrisy.
And where have I ever referred to the Boyne/Derry/Bann etc to support an opinion or stance on present-day politics?

No, wait, I come from a "community"  which does so.  ::)

I must say, I almost admire you for the way you interchange so smoothly between the 'Politics of Mopery', the 'Politics of Whataboutery' and the 'Politics of Themmuns', as now. I daresay you're well practised in it...

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
History starts every second, yesterday is history. But since you are only interested in being a wum I have no doubt you will continue to rave on. But in my opinion history is relevaent as context and should only be viewed as such.
So anybody who proposes a different view to yours must be a wum, then?

Congratulations! You may now add 'The Politics of Playing the Man' to your CV...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Simple question, EG. Do you or do you not share the objective of 17th century planters of having Ulster part of the British empire?

gallsman

Katie Taylor wearing one on Sky Sports News this evening.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on November 02, 2011, 07:14:02 PM
Simple question, EG. Do you or do you not share the objective of 17th century planters of having Ulster part of the British empire?

Lay of the glue.