Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 25, 2011, 08:42:48 PM
Well, it's the 25th October and I saw my first Poppies for sale today - bought one, too.

It was in the Chemists. An Asian-owned Chemists. In England. I'm disappointed that NI got beaten to it - must do better next year, if we're to keep Nationalists feeling intimidated and oppressed.

And if I'm honest, I'm feeling a wee bit disappointed that my gesture in wearing one isn't going to achieve the maximum effect.

Fortunately I'm due back in NI at the weekend, so I'll make sure and wear mine prominently, so as to be able to "force it down peoples throat" [sic] properly.

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)

EG, what movie is your signature from - I can't put my finger on it.

Don't care about anyone wearing a poppy, it's entirely up to them. Find it a bit ludicrous that people can have them out a month in advance of Rememberance Sunday but it doesn't hurt me or anger me in any way. Nobody on TV or the public eye in general should be pressurized into wearing one.

MGHU, even some of your best armchair Provo mates on here wouldn't pretend the poppy is about triumphalism.

maddog

funny i saw the first one today in Snow Hill station Birmingham, so f**king what, carry on. Mind you if our office (of about 50) is anything to go by in any given year there is about 2 that wear them. One guy is ex raf and the other reads lots of those Andy Mc Nab books. ;) No one else gives a rats arse.

Evil Genius

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2011, 11:32:29 PM
EG, what movie is your signature from - I can't put my finger on it.
It's from this one:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198668/

Not an outstanding film, by any means, but still rather underated imo - plus it's got Orla Brady in it, which is never a bad thing!

Anyhow, I enjoyed that particular exchange (signature) because I always think it a much better version of the famous Crocodile Dundee "Call that a knife?" line.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Applesisapples

Well, it's the 25th October and I saw my first Poppies for sale today - bought one, too.

It was in the Chemists. An Asian-owned Chemists. In England. I'm disappointed that NI got beaten to it - must do better next year, if we're to keep Nationalists feeling intimidated and oppressed.

And if I'm honest, I'm feeling a wee bit disappointed that my gesture in wearing one isn't going to achieve the maximum effect.

Fortunately I'm due back in NI at the weekend, so I'll make sure and wear mine prominently, so as to be able to "force it down peoples throat" [sic] properly.

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)
Nice to see a unionist embrace the Irish Language although the correct spelling is Fág an Bealach I believe.

Olly

I saw a beautiful puppy in the window of a neighbour yesterday. The house was dark so I couldn't see a lot of it when I peered through it but this small dog was lying prone on the mat. It was tremendous.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

haveaharp

Do the poppies all come from Afghanistan? If they do its a nice way of supporting the very people that are trying to kill them. Or are they just made of plastic ?

Orior

Quote from: haveaharp on October 26, 2011, 11:21:21 AM
Do the poppies all come from Afghanistan? If they do its a nice way of supporting the very people that are trying to kill them. Or are they just made of plastic ?

Yes, the poppies are grown in the field next to the opium field. I agree it is jolly decent of the british to support these industries while at the same time killing the people.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 26, 2011, 08:42:26 AM

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)
Nice to see a unionist embrace the Irish Language
I have no objections whatever to the speaking of Irish, only to the politicisation of the language by you-know-who. In fact if anything, I am all for the widening of the country's linguistic and cultural knowledge, as were eg my many Unionist/Protestant forebears who played such a vital role in the retention and revival of the language in the 19th Century etc.

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 26, 2011, 08:42:26 AM... although the correct spelling is Fág an Bealach I believe.
It would only be "correct" if we were debating in Irish.

"Faugh a Ballagh" is the anglicised version; more pertinently to this thread, it is also the regimental motto of the Royal Irish Regiment.  ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20923094@N04/3040243437/
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stew

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 26, 2011, 02:58:38 PM

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)
I have no objections whatever to the speaking of Irish, only to the politicisation of the language by you-know-who. In fact if anything, I am all for the widening of the country's linguistic and cultural knowledge, as were eg my many Unionist/Protestant forebears who played such a vital role in the retention and revival of the language in the 19th Century etc.

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 26, 2011, 08:42:26 AM... although the correct spelling is Fág an Bealach I believe.

"Faugh a Ballagh" is the anglicised version; more pertinently to this thread, it is also the regimental motto of the Royal Irish Regiment.  ;)

A royal shower of cnuts is what they are.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)

Ahh I see a makey uppy language a bit like Ulster Scots so that the boys don't have to dirty their tongues. It also features on loads of Loyalist flags on lamp posts.

Nally Stand

I fail to see any differentiation between a loyalist paramilitary flag and a UDR (RIR) flag
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

sheamy

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 27, 2011, 09:28:19 AM
I fail to see any differentiation between a loyalist paramilitary flag and a UDR (RIR) flag
+1

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 27, 2011, 09:10:17 AM

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)

Ahh I see a makey uppy language a bit like Ulster Scots so that the boys don't have to dirty their tongues. It also features on loads of Loyalist flags on lamp posts.
So English is a "makey uppy language", is it?

I suppose you'll be telling me next that Irish doesn't contain its own Gaelicised(?) version of words taken from other languages, too...

Amadán
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

sheamy

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 01:22:09 PM
So English is a "makey uppy language", is it?

Actually, yes, English is a makey uppy language. It borrows from all historical languages which is why it makes it pretty powerful in a colonial kinda way. The river Usk in Britain is essentially the same as the Irish and Scots gaelic word 'uisce'. All language is derived to an extent except that god awful dialect called Ulster Scots which is just people from North Antrim being drunk.

If I was being kind, I'd call your RIR lads 'hooligans' (from the Irish family name Ó hUallacháin, anglicised as O'Houlihan) being one who takes part in rowdy behaviour and vandalism. The differentiation between them and their brothers in the UDA is phoney (old english fawney derived from the Irish for ring - fainne). Fecking Tories (tóraí originally an irish outlaw adopted to describe confederates or royalists with arms).

But yes, all languages borrow from each other to a certain extent. Some more than others.