Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2019, 11:15:52 PM
For weaker counties the All Ireland quest is a joke Dublin and Kerry have 76 or something like that between them  wex tipp Kildare Louth  Cavan Mayo Roscommon Meath Galway Tyrone have another 40 or so between them ,most of them excluding Meath Tyrone and Galway are all early 20th century  so it's been an exclusive club for a long time long before money was an issue ,
20 counties have been pissing again the wind for a long time . There may be an anomaly every now and then but it goes back to order quickly.
down Offaly also Late 20th

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2019, 11:15:52 PM
For weaker counties the All Ireland quest is a joke Dublin and Kerry have 76 or something like that between them  wex tipp Kildare Louth  Cavan Mayo Roscommon Meath Galway Tyrone have another 40 or so between them ,most of them excluding Meath Tyrone and Galway are all early 20th century  so it's been an exclusive club for a long time long before money was an issue ,
20 counties have been pissing again the wind for a long time . There may be an anomaly every now and then but it goes back to order quickly.

So does this mean Ulster will go back to being shit again and have no chance of winning All-Irelands. Oh wait, that's already happened.....
#newbridgeornowhere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 06, 2019, 10:30:20 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 06, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
Lar, I was able to read that full article  when I posted the link.
You probably have to be registered with them?
I'm not sure what Leinster is at.
They were as well to let the other 10 play for the Leinster IFC with the winners playing Dublin in the Senior Final ::)
You wouldn't know what to make of it all.
However, one thing stood out for me and I thought maybe I should highlight it to see if anyone else finds it, well, interesting.
I'm referring to the list of Leinster provincial winners-particularly those in the ten years before Bertie and John Bailey got together and roped in the Irish Sports Council.  So I am talking about the provincial winners from 1995 until 2004.
The spread was impressive, five different counties in a decade.
Meath won 3.
Dublin won 2.
Kildare won 2.
Offaly won 1.
Laois won 1.
Westmeath won 1.
Since then, Dublin have won 13 out of 14.
Dunno what to make of it all, do you?
So it that typical of Leinster Gaa history or are you picking out an outlier period to make a ridiculous point?

Let's be honest here. When Offaly, Laois and Westmeath won Leinsters in that period, Leinster football was at a very big low. It was like Connacht and Ulster for most of the 70s and 80s. Shite. Still, they were the best in the province at the time and fully deserved their medals. But none of those teams came close to winning an AI semi, never mind a final.

Kildare have a long long history of underperforming. It took an excellent outside manager for them to believe in themselves, and they were quite unlucky not to win Sam IMO. They are coming again. (Personally i'll be betting on them to win Leinster next year, but only if Dubs win the replay).

Meath have been so far below par in the last near decade that it's hard to comprehend. McEntee has them at least performing to their ability, but they are missing a couple of really star players. If they get another Geraghty or Giles they could well become a permanent fixture in the S8.
Huh? I wasn't aware that I had been making any sort of a point. ;D
I gave a  few pertinent stats, pertinent to the current state of football in Leinster, and left it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions.
It's very obvious that you have done that and you see no connection at all between that fact that Dublin started getting massive injections of cash in 2004 and the fact that it has won 15 out of a total of 16 titles since then.
Another relevant fact to add to the mix is that in a full decade prior to Bertie opening the state's purse strings, the spread  of titles was unique - 5 different counties were victorious.
You see no connection whatever between those stats and Bertie's generosity and maybe you are right and I'm being just a jealous culchie but that's unfair as I am not saying nothing, right?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 07, 2019, 09:19:27 AM

I gave a  few pertinent stats, pertinent to the current state of football in Leinster, and left it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions.
It's very obvious that you have done that and you see no connection at all between that fact that Dublin started getting massive injections of cash in 2004 and the fact that it has won 15 out of a total of 16 titles since then.

So Dublin won Leinster in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

I would love know how exactly the games development funding money that we got from 2004 delivered these 5 Leinsters in a row? It could hardly be coincidence! Could it???

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2019, 11:22:57 AM

I would love know how exactly the games development funding money that we got from 2004 delivered these 5 Leinsters in a row? It could hardly be coincidence! Could it???
look at the counties who won before that though, and after (I'm giving 2010 to Louth)

would never happen now

Rossfan

When will someone else win Leinster again?
Probably Fingal in 2028 :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

priceyreilly

"In order to avail of funding, the clubs linked in with the local schools, sharing their coach with their new partners. By 2001, the grants aimed at increasing grassroots participation were allocated through the Irish Sports Council, with the backing of the GAA."

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/3191859/bertie-ahern-government-grants-saved-dublin-gaa/

Hound

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 09, 2019, 06:29:22 PM

"In order to avail of funding, the clubs linked in with the local schools, sharing their coach with their new partners. By 2001, the grants aimed at increasing grassroots participation were allocated through the Irish Sports Council, with the backing of the GAA."

So that's how we won Leinster in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 ??
Amazing.
Or horseshit.
Take your pick.

Lar Naparka

It would be disingenuous to say that games development money was the reason Dublin suddenly grew wings and soared away ahead of the rest of Leinster; it took a lot more than that, including hard work by numerous volunteers and the presence of the likes of the late John Bailey and John Costello. The fact that there were a good number of gifted footballers who were willing to put in the extra work required of them can't be ignored either.
It took graft and astute management to make Dublin the force they are today and it all started back in the mid-noughties.
But it would be total BS to maintain that the only factor that separated Dublin from the rest is the bunch of gifted players who arrived by pure coincidence just in time for the good times to roll in 2011.
In any event, if you are a student of the cause and effect school of logic, it doesn't matter a goddamn why Dublin began mopping up Leinster titles.
In the early noughties, there was a great buzz about intercounty football in Leinster. Apart from the 5 counties than won provincial in the decade prior to 2005, Wexford and to a lesser degree Wicklow, were playing at a very much higher level than they are today or are likely to be any time soon.
There is as much chance that one of the other Leinster counties, including Meath, will suddenly emerge as  realistic candidates for an All Ireland or even a Leinster title as there is of me being the next pope.
The only certainty is that change in the GAA world is inevitable.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on September 09, 2019, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 09, 2019, 06:29:22 PM

So that's how we won Leinster in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 ??
Amazing.
Or horseshit.
Take your pick.

I was just showing you that you were talking sh1te again. You should be showing me some gratitude. You're clueless on this topic and I'm giving you free education.

You again want to limit it to the games development money. I've told you numerous times now, the games development money has played a key role in all of this but it's only one part in the doping of Dublin. The money was freed up elsewhere and Dublin have spent it on many other areas including senior team preparation and everything this involves. This was enough to improve from losing to Westmeath and Laois to beating teams of that standard at the start. They were still getting bad beatings off teams outside Leinster but they slowly were closing the gap. It took a huge influx of players that came through the multi million euro system to push them to All Ireland contenders. This is not the first time I've had to clear things up for you and more than likely it won't be the last. 

Hound

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 10, 2019, 04:37:09 PM

You again want to limit it to the games development money. I've told you numerous times now, the games development money has played a key role in all of this but it's only one part in the doping of Dublin. The money was freed up elsewhere and Dublin have spent it on many other areas including senior team preparation and everything this involves. This was enough to improve from losing to Westmeath and Laois to beating teams of that standard at the start. They were still getting bad beatings off teams outside Leinster but they slowly were closing the gap. It took a huge influx of players that came through the multi million euro system to push them to All Ireland contenders. This is not the first time I've had to clear things up for you and more than likely it won't be the last.

So before the games development funding Laois and Westmeath were beating Dublin?

What's the figures, Laois beat us twice in championship in about 40 years, Westmeath once? That's awesome analysis. I'm really glad you cleared that up. Now, there's probably not many that listen to you anyway, but you've removed all doubt about your gombeenism.

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 10, 2019, 04:32:59 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 10, 2019, 02:42:09 PM

Dublin the only quarter finalists that didn't win one.

Can only imagine the shite that would be on this thread from the board moron if Dublin had won and had 4 or 5 Minor All Stars!

How is the games development funding failing so badly?
Maybe down to the funds go to participation and have nothing to do with the elite panels!

The ladies will be getting it next week if they win 3 in a row. Cork win something like 10 out of 11 All Irelands and they're just great. But if Dublin happen to win 3 in a row it'll be catastrophic!!

Up the duckin fubs!

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2019, 01:12:51 PM

So before the games development funding Laois and Westmeath were beating Dublin?

What's the figures, Laois beat us twice in championship in about 40 years, Westmeath once? That's awesome analysis. I'm really glad you cleared that up. Now, there's probably not many that listen to you anyway, but you've removed all doubt about your gombeenism.

2004 - Westmeath beat Dublin
2003 - Laois beat Dublin

Leinsters were being divided amongst Westmeath, Laois, Meath, Kildare, Offaly and Dublin. A wide open championship. Is it wide open now? No, what are the average winning margins for Dublin? Compare that to the Leinster championship pre doping. I think it will sink in eventually.

Free remedial lessons for our special student hound.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2019, 01:20:25 PM
Can only imagine the shite that would be on this thread from the board moron if Dublin had won and had 4 or 5 Minor All Stars!

How is the games development funding failing so badly?
Maybe down to the funds go to participation and have nothing to do with the elite panels!

The ladies will be getting it next week if they win 3 in a row. Cork win something like 10 out of 11 All Irelands and they're just great. But if Dublin happen to win 3 in a row it'll be catastrophic!!

Up the duckin fubs!

This is desperate stuff. Employees of Dublin GAA who've worked for 2 decades speak about how much of a difference the professional coaches have made to elite level standards, the change between the 90's and now is like night and day they say. The development squads have players going into them with all the skills, this wasn't the way pre doping. This has had an effect for Dublin male football but also hurling and as you say Ladies football.

Ok, so it's clear you find it hard to comprehend simple sentences so I'll give you some visual aids. This shows the increase in titles from the same period pre doping to the same period post doping. It's for men's, women's, underage and club titles. Even you can understand this one:

Hound

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 11, 2019, 03:21:13 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2019, 01:12:51 PM

2004 - Westmeath beat Dublin
2003 - Laois beat Dublin

You have it now alright. That was a great win by Laois in 2003.
Their first Leinster since 1946. The money must have started coming in from 1947, eh?  Those dastardly Dubs.