New car

Started by DuffleKing, August 04, 2011, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Buying a new car - 1 to 3 year old probably and fair budget. I'm looking a decent motor but fuel economy is my main concern
Tell me what to buy o wise forum...

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 04, 2011, 06:13:22 PM
Buying a new car - 1 to 3 year old probably and fair budget. I'm looking a decent motor but fuel economy is my main concern

BMW 320d. 177 Bhp, mine does 58 mpg, 155 euro to tax. Best drive in its class, including the a4.

Family guy

Audi topped the poll last year for faults in cars so dont know about that,for fuel efficency theres a new seat leon that has a high mpg not quite sure tho,and all them new cars come with low tax grade which means you can tax it for 30 quid for the year compared to maybe 170 for bigger car

laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 04, 2011, 06:17:50 PM

BMW 320d. 177 Bhp, mine does 58 mpg, 155 euro to tax. Best drive in its class, including the a4.

Disagree.

Family guy

I duno about the 320,mines a coupe sport 05 model and im not getting 58mpg,thinking of getting rid of it as dont really drive it,hada put new tyres on there and they werent cheap

laoislad

If you are buying brand new and don't want huge expense I think the Skoda Octavia is a fine car.

Family guy

Quote from: laoislad on August 04, 2011, 06:21:57 PM
If you are buying brand new and don't want huge expense I think the Skoda Octavia is a fine car.

Yeah skoda a sound car alrite,fairly easy 2 run etc,alot of taxi men in belfast drive them

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Family guy on August 04, 2011, 06:20:21 PM

I duno about the 320,mines a coupe sport 05 model and im not getting 58mpg,thinking of getting rid of it as dont really drive it,hada put new tyres on there and they werent cheap

You need an 08, new engine then.

Don't believe me read what experts say, WWW.parkers.co.UK.

Family guy

My sister has an 09 one and it has gave her nothing but bother,but i suppose any car can do that you can just be unlucky

Onion Bag

VW Passat is a great motor, easy to tax and handy on the juice
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

theskull1

OP needs to make clear what he means by fair budget as that could swing either way could it not?

I'm with LL on the Octavia
The new 105hp diesel is a 1.6 so I'd expect consumption to be well into the 50's
£45 car tax as well

Taxi drivers love them
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Rois

If you're going for an A4, make sure to check out the four fuel injector thingys as there's a known fault with A4s that are a couple of yrs old (just spent 4 days with a colleague that this happened to last Fri).

theskull1

I'm not aware that injectors can be checked as part of an inspection. Stand to be corrected
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Rois

Well the guy I was working with had one of his go, then made a big song and dance about it till Audi replaced all four free of charge, whether they were tested or not I'm not sure and know feck all about car parts, except for what the dashboard warning lights tell me.
At least look for a warranty from the dealer beyond 3 months.