China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2020, 09:30:17 AM
I think it is more for people not following it. There are still a good few out there.

Still seeing vans out there with two or more people in them! Seen a car the other day five in it, they weren't from the same family, hi vis on obviously builders

Kids in the streets at night in parts of Belfast, parents must be looking to get the virus
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

What would have hsppened if thses 'restrictions' were brought in earlier, say 2 weeks ago?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2020, 10:01:16 AM
What would have hsppened if thses 'restrictions' were brought in earlier, say 2 weeks ago?

I don't think the laws were brought in to fine them till Friday? But it's ridiculous but not surprising that there are families out there who are not forcing their kids to stay in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2020, 10:09:16 AM
Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2020, 10:01:16 AM

I don't think the laws were brought in to fine them till Friday? But it's ridiculous but not surprising that there are families out there who are not forcing their kids to stay in

It was never going to be flawless though, I could be dead wrong - but I'm taking these kids as the 'lost' ones who have never bothered with school, regularly in trouble with the law and only going one way. Obviously the police measures now mean they can do something but bar full on detentions coming in you'll always have the stragglers.

By and large I've been impressed with how the population has taken this seriously. I'm a bit more rural than yourself but even our towns round Tyrone are ghost.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 29, 2020, 10:15:50 AM

By and large I've been impressed with how the population has taken this seriously. I'm a bit more rural than yourself but even our towns round Tyrone are ghost.

Same. Was out for the groceries yesterday and very little traffic on the road and even fewer in the supermarket. I think the message is getting through for the majority. Companies still operating who are non-essential are doing more harm to themselves in the long run by not closing.

imtommygunn

Agreed.

Keep reading about people being rude to supermarket workers. Have yet to see it thankfully.(though suspect some people would be no doubt)

Itchy

I was down the local town yesterday evening, a fine day at 5pm. One of the biggest beaches in Ireland, I could see only 2 people on it from up on the promenade. Thats unheard off. I can only say in my neck of the woods this is now been taken very seriously by a very high % of people.

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on March 29, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 29, 2020, 10:15:50 AM

Same. Was out for the groceries yesterday and very little traffic on the road and even fewer in the supermarket. I think the message is getting through for the majority. Companies still operating who are non-essential are doing more harm to themselves in the long run by not closing.

True. I think the seriousness of it all is hitting home this past week.

The news last night i.e. tighter control, was brough in to stop the scenes we witnessed all over Ireland of the 'bank holiday' scenario.

PMG1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2020, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on March 28, 2020, 08:59:11 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 28, 2020, 03:45:12 PM
I see Americas are encouraged to wear face masks when out and about while this side of the world we are told the opposite.

Which is the correct advice, are we told that because healthcare workers would have a big shortage of masks?

I do a lot of business with the Chinese and Hong Kong, every one of them is telling me we are crazy here not wearing masks, they cannot believe it. They have two effects, one is minimising the chance of getting airborn infection if someone sneezes / coughs etc and the second is you are less likely to touch your mouth or nose when one is on. In addition you can buy self testing kits for only US11 each, I can access them but only problem is the minimum order is 10,000

On the street the mask is of marginal use, it is of more use in a train or the like. If you wanted a mask here could you get one, or many of course since you are not supposed to wear the same one multiple times.

That's the crux of the problem I am trying to get at, the no wearing masks and lack of benefits of the mask is what we are being told by our governments etc, this is not what the Chinese are being told and they are handling things much more effectively than we are

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 28, 2020, 06:17:43 PM
I see Americas are encouraged to wear face masks when out and about while this side of the world we are told the opposite.

Which is the correct advice, are we told that because healthcare workers would have a big shortage of masks?
thats a new thing I saw today most people are wearing them anyway in a supermarket or even on street , they are impossible to find right now and anything that medical personnel can use should be directed there .

Yeah, I haven't seen that advice, and I'm right in the US epicentre.

And as you say, even if you did want to wear one, they're impossible to get and supplies are rightfully being directed to healthcare workers where there are massive shortages for those who absolutely need them. I've a few N95 masks in the garage , but apart from possibly using one to go out to the chemist or a doctor's office, we're relying on social distancing. That said, we are doing most of our grocery shopping online at Costco and Amazon Wholefoods. Not everyone has the same option.

Solo_run

I have considered making one out of a bottle and moulding the bottle so it has a nice fit and can be washed after each trip. I suppose it would be more effective than having nothing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: PMG1 on March 29, 2020, 11:33:12 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2020, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on March 28, 2020, 08:59:11 PM

I do a lot of business with the Chinese and Hong Kong, every one of them is telling me we are crazy here not wearing masks, they cannot believe it. They have two effects, one is minimising the chance of getting airborn infection if someone sneezes / coughs etc and the second is you are less likely to touch your mouth or nose when one is on. In addition you can buy self testing kits for only US11 each, I can access them but only problem is the minimum order is 10,000

On the street the mask is of marginal use, it is of more use in a train or the like. If you wanted a mask here could you get one, or many of course since you are not supposed to wear the same one multiple times.

That's the crux of the problem I am trying to get at, the no wearing masks and lack of benefits of the mask is what we are being told by our governments etc, this is not what the Chinese are being told and they are handling things much more effectively than we are

China is much more densely populated for one and fact is from the WHO that this is being pulled off surfaces by touching, not so much from air. People working closely with the sick should be getting priority  if we have a billion .and then sure, give every Tom, Dick and Harry one

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 29, 2020, 10:35:28 AM
I was down the local town yesterday evening, a fine day at 5pm. One of the biggest beaches in Ireland, I could see only 2 people on it from up on the promenade. Thats unheard off. I can only say in my neck of the woods this is now been taken very seriously by a very high % of people.

Moorway traffic today is 8-11% of that on a Sunday 3 weeks ago.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B