The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: joemamas on December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 PM
Average person couldn't give a shi*e.
In any event, next September something like 46% on each side have their mind made up which way they are voting.
The remaining 6-8% will ultimately decide the out come.
Economy is booming, unemployment at 3.5% lowest since 1969, an incumbent has never lost with the unemployment rate at current levels, a lot of the undecided folks may just say, why change especially in light of current Democratic line up. Personally I would consider voting for Biden, who I think is a decent human being, but I cringe when I see him in debates.
The economy is not booming.
Wages are crap for most new jobs .
The US economy is a Ponzi scheme

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2019, 04:15:00 PM
In any event, next September something like 46% on each side have their mind made up which way they are voting.
Economy is booming, unemployment at 3.5% lowest since 1969, an incumbent has never lost with the unemployment rate at current levels, a lot of the undecided folks may just say, why change especially in light of current Democratic line up. Personally I would consider voting for Biden, who I think is a decent human being, but I cringe when I see him in debates.

Really....where in the States do you live, because it's certainly not the case where I am

J70

I think the average person does give a shite, but is basically tuning out and washing their hands of it all in despair.

I don't remember the last time I watched the evening news, and I've quit listening to political podcasts.

I'm glad to see some grit and balls and political smarts on the Democratic side in the House, but its unfortunately lacking in the presidential line-up. Trump will probably chew up and spit out whoever the unfortunate nominee ends up being, not on policy or results (good luck defending the more immoral aspects of his presidency and policies, all issues which would have doomed any other person, 3.5% employment or not – BTW it was only about a point above that three years ago when he took over) but on simple shamelessness, classlessness, brazen lying and the willingness to descend to any depth imaginable to win. The GOP will probably win another four years and continue their assault on the environment, the poor, LGBTs and minorities, all the while continuing to whine about victimhood and continuing to defend the conduct of the most immoral and corrupt man ever to hold the office in most of our lifetimes.

If it continues, I reckon the country would be better off splitting. I don't see much common ground to be shared the way things are heading with the GOP and Trump. Let them go form their Christian utopia where gays are back in the closet, the environment is irrelevant, immigrants are subhuman and guns ubiquitous and leave the rest of us alone to our sensible devices.

joemamas

Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2019, 04:39:57 PM

Really....where in the States do you live, because it's certainly not the case where I am

Galway State, oh wait that it not in the US.
Sorry to report from the real US, economy is booming, I meet a few Irish general contractors from time to time, same complaint or concern, they cannot get workers who are competent, Carpenters, Plumbers and even electricians,
Salaries for blue collar workers are increasing more because of this, and btw, this is a very good thing.

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2019, 04:41:40 PM

I think the average person does give a shite, but is basically tuning out and washing their hands of it all in despair.

I don't remember the last time I watched the evening news, and I've quit listening to political podcasts.

I'm glad to see some grit and balls and political smarts on the Democratic side in the House, but its unfortunately lacking in the presidential line-up. Trump will probably chew up and spit out whoever the unfortunate nominee ends up being, not on policy or results (good luck defending the more immoral aspects of his presidency and policies, all issues which would have doomed any other person, 3.5% employment or not – BTW it was only about a point above that three years ago when he took over) but on simple shamelessness, classlessness, brazen lying and the willingness to descend to any depth imaginable to win. The GOP will probably win another four years and continue their assault on the environment, the poor, LGBTs and minorities, all the while continuing to whine about victimhood and continuing to defend the conduct of the most immoral and corrupt man ever to hold the office in most of our lifetimes.

If it continues, I reckon the country would be better off splitting. I don't see much common ground to be shared the way things are heading with the GOP and Trump. Let them go form their Christian utopia where gays are back in the closet, the environment is irrelevant, immigrants are subhuman and guns ubiquitous and leave the rest of us alone to our sensible devices.

I take offense to that generalization, I became a republican voter, over the past decade, was a democrat when I came here many many moons ago.
I feel fortunate, I will not apologize for that, I worked my ass off.  I make sure my kids understand that is the way to succeed, and also how important it is to work hard and then to help people who are less well off.  That is my definition of a republican/conservative.

seafoid

Quote from: joemamas on December 19, 2019, 06:08:47 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2019, 04:39:57 PM

Galway State, oh wait that it not in the US.
Sorry to report from the real US, economy is booming, I meet a few Irish general contractors from time to time, same complaint or concern, they cannot get workers who are competent, Carpenters, Plumbers and even electricians,
Salaries for blue collar workers is increasing more because of this, and btw, this is a very good thing.

Oh so there is another housing bubble. Jaysus

How did the last wan get on? It crashed. They all do

The rich own most of the US. They own the medical insurance industry. The private prisons. The stock market. The bonds

J70

Quote from: joemamas on December 19, 2019, 06:26:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2019, 04:41:40 PM

I take offense to that generalization, I became a republican voter, over the past decade, was a democrat when I came here many many moons ago.
I feel fortunate, I will not apologize for that, I worked my ass off.  I make sure my kids understand that is the way to succeed, and also how important it is to work hard and then to help people who are less well off.  That is my definition of a republican/conservative.

Whether or not you take offense, US conservatism is now defined by Trump and the far right and reactionary constituencies he leads.

If you're of a more moderate bent, I genuinely and sincerely hope you and your ilk take the party and movement back.

Because I am f**king scared of where it's headed.

whitey

J70-do you think the taxpayers should be on the hook for prisoners gender reassignment surgery?

Do you think males athletes be able to self identify as female and then apply for college scholarships?

If you answered no to either question, then you are a homo/trans phobe according to many on the left?

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 19, 2019, 07:17:17 PM
J70-do you think the taxpayers should be on the hook for prisoners gender reassignment surgery?

Do you think males athletes be able to self identify as female and then apply for college scholarships?

If you answered no to either question, then you are a homo/trans phobe according to many on the left?

Haven't given either much thought to be honest. But neither is a black and white issue to me. The acceptance/mainstreaming of transexuality we are currently undergoing (a good thing) is obviously going to pose questions, sometimes difficult, in what has been a binary world when it comes to gender.

But who is engaging in such name-calling?

Any Democratic candidates? Prominent politicians? To what and to whom where they responding?

Never beat the deeler

How many people, out of the 327 or so million in the states, do those 2 issues relate to?
Are they particularly close to your heart for some reason?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Gabriel_Hurl

I love the stupid shite whitey comes out with sometimes hahahahha

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 19, 2019, 11:16:52 PM

Lol-Elizabeth Warren actually has a position on this matter and if you disagree with it her supporters will jump all over you and call you a transphobe

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/10/11/warrens_transgender_inmate_stance_counters_her_2012_position_141464.html

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: whitey on December 20, 2019, 12:12:09 AM

Lol-Elizabeth Warren actually has a position on this matter and if you disagree with it her supporters will jump all over you and call you a transphobe

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/10/11/warrens_transgender_inmate_stance_counters_her_2012_position_141464.html

You are bringing this issue to the board. Is it something that is particularly close to your heart?
Hasta la victoria siempre

whitey

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 20, 2019, 01:02:55 AM
Quote from: whitey on December 20, 2019, 12:12:09 AM

You are bringing this issue to the board. Is it something that is particularly close to your heart?

No.....I was responding to a dire prediction that J70 made

" The GOP will probably win another four years and continue their assault on the environment, the poor, LGBTs and minorities, all the while continuing to whine about victimhood and continuing to defend the conduct of the most immoral and corrupt man ever to hold the office in most of our lifetimes.

If it continues, I reckon the country would be better off splitting. I don't see much common ground to be shared the way things are heading with the GOP and Trump. Let them go form their Christian utopia where gays are back in the closet,"

seafoid

Should tax payers be on the hook for plutocrats, Whitey ?
That is the bigger question.