GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

thewobbler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 05, 2020, 12:09:05 AM
Quote from: FermGael on June 04, 2020, 11:52:15 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/gaelic-games/52928253?at_campaign=64&at_custom1=link&at_custom2=twitter&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=5D133D7C-A6A2-11EA-94A4-B7BB4744363C&at_custom3=BBC+Sport+NI   

I'd agree with his main point. If and when GAA is back the remaining league games should be played. And it's true for some teams in the lower divisions the league is their championship.

Well I look at it like this.

There is nobody has ever gone to bed dreaming about winning d4 league titles. What a d4 title is, is a a stepping stone / launchpad to something bigger i.e a provincial title, an AI title.

There isn't going to be enough time to complete the leagues and play a championship. That's a fact.

Anyone calling for leagues to be completed instead of a championship being played, is basically calling for the stepping stones to be finished, instead of playing the main event.

yellowcard

What I notice more than anything else with the reaction to getting back playing is that peoples opinions are largely formed by what their particular situation is. Therefore

1) Casual punters who watch games tend to want them back for their own entertainment since a lot of time is spent in a vacuum and any sport would help to fill this time.
2) Players mostly want to get back but some will have reservations and will use it to opt out for health reasons either for themselves or those who they live with.
3) Broadcasters, print media and TV pundits want them back as the work dries up and there is only so much reminiscing they can do.
4) Paid coaches want them back for very obvious reasons.
5) Health officials and families of health officials are generally wary and reluctant to return to playing.

So basically health v economic reasons and the trade off is a difficult one to manage since both are important. That summary is a very broad brush and some people fall into more than one category but whilst I do sense and understand an appetite to get back playing, I don't know how or if it can work in reality. It seems like the GAA have taken a sensible approach to all of this but lets wait and see what is announced today.       

skeog

So one outing for 50% of clubs am i wrong on this.Also same for counties would many players really be prepared to put the time into preparing for 1 game.

Milltown Row2

The worst is this, no one or team will get to the level of fitness and conditioning they managed to get to before lockdown. This in itself may throw up some ropey matches an a few shocks (hopefully)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GlenMan

I assume this plan will be dependant on the Irish Government and Stormont continuing to ease the lockdown. What happens if/when Stormont don't ease lockdown for contact sports and the Irish Government does?

Rossfan

Quote from: thewobbler on June 05, 2020, 06:09:33 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/gaelic-games/52928253?at_campaign=64&at_custom1=link&at_custom2=twitter&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=5D133D7C-A6A2-11EA-94A4-B7BB4744363C&at_custom3=BBC+Sport+NI   

I'd agree with his main point. If and when GAA is back the remaining league games should be played. And it's true for some teams in the lower divisions the league is their championship.

There is nobody has ever gone to bed dreaming about winning d4 league titles.
But then they wake up to the real World like the Antrim captain
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 10:25:02 AM

There is nobody has ever gone to bed dreaming about winning d4 league titles.
But then they wake up to the real World like the Antrim captain

It's not me, you or him who decided that the Championship is the premier competition in Gaelic Games.

Like a lot of people, I've grown to prefer the league format over the past decade, but in terms of public interest, Player interest and prestige, it just doesn't register against the championship.

Any player demanding that the secondary competition is prioritised over the main event should step out of their bubble for a wee look around.

Rossfan

Chap is only being realistic as far as him and his team are concerned. :-\

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 11:16:04 AM
Chap is only being realistic as far as him and his team are concerned. :-\

Hence the need for him to step out of bubble.

He can't blame the GAA for coronavirus. And nor can he expect a full county season programme to happen in 2020. Even if that's what he really, really wants. It's just not not going to happen.

Taylor

How many games are left in the league - 2?

Would it not be an idea to run these off as a means of getting up to speed rather than straight into C'ship football?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: yellowcard on June 05, 2020, 10:00:15 AM
What I notice more than anything else with the reaction to getting back playing is that peoples opinions are largely formed by what their particular situation is. Therefore

1) Casual punters who watch games tend to want them back for their own entertainment since a lot of time is spent in a vacuum and any sport would help to fill this time.
2) Players mostly want to get back but some will have reservations and will use it to opt out for health reasons either for themselves or those who they live with.
3) Broadcasters, print media and TV pundits want them back as the work dries up and there is only so much reminiscing they can do.
4) Paid coaches want them back for very obvious reasons.
5) Health officials and families of health officials are generally wary and reluctant to return to playing.

So basically health v economic reasons and the trade off is a difficult one to manage since both are important. That summary is a very broad brush and some people fall into more than one category but whilst I do sense and understand an appetite to get back playing, I don't know how or if it can work in reality. It seems like the GAA have taken a sensible approach to all of this but lets wait and see what is announced today.       
I have saw bits floating around today talking about Club Covid Officers and clubs running track and trace! Who in their right mind would sign up to do that in an amateur setting? It seems mad to push that sort of responsibility onto clubs. Some clubs simply wouldn't have the number of volunteers to run things in small groups and signing in and out etc.

Rossfan

Mad just  playing an Inter Co " straight knock out" competition  as half the Counties (and possibly up to 19) will only get 1 game so why bother training at all.
Playing the 2 Rounds of NFL would leave things sorted out for 2021 and then let the 2020 fundraising Blitz tear away for itself.

thewobbler

Quote from: Taylor on June 05, 2020, 11:32:02 AM
How many games are left in the league - 2?

Would it not be an idea to run these off as a means of getting up to speed rather than straight into C'ship football?

Assuming we aren't going to burnout players by making them play more than one county fixture a week, that means a minimum of 3 weekends for county football, and a minimum of 4 weekends for half the counties in Ireland.

Basically a month.

Now if you could convince/coerce/force the clubs to play league matches during this time, completely without their county players, well then you might be onto something. I would expect that quite a few clubs - maybe even the majority - would agree to this, so long as there's no promotion or relegation in club leagues.

But then that begs the question - why have competitive leagues at county level in these bizarre times, but not at club level?

Milltown Row2

There is nobody has ever gone to bed dreaming about winning d4 league titles. What a d4 title is, is a a stepping stone / launchpad to something bigger i.e a provincial title, an AI title.

There isn't going to be enough time to complete the leagues and play a championship. That's a fact.

Anyone calling for leagues to be completed instead of a championship being played, is basically calling for the stepping stones to be finished, instead of playing the main event.

Nothing wrong in what he's said, slightly railroaded into the boycott thing by your man so I wouldn't take that on board, for him and Antrim it's very important to finish the league, if the two games improve our chances of going up to div 3 then that's our focus.

No one outside of Dublin our Kerry will be competing competitively for the championship, only a fool would think otherwise, and you'd be dreaming if you thought your county will be winning an all Ireland if your not from those counties I've mentioned.

Finish the league off and it can be done before a 'knockout' championship or straight after it when the counties are not involved in the championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea