The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I wouldn't be mad about him either but in the main Klopp hasn't missed with too many *outfield* players and Klopp seems the type to get the most out of players. When you look at the shower of shit that they had on the bench towards the end of the season he is an immediate and obvious upgrade on them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trileacman

Quote from: Boycey on July 14, 2018, 11:01:48 AM
That's a strange attitude trilleac is a squad not what Liverpool have been lacking?

Not really no. We were lucky with injuries this year and had little need for depth in the squad. Most guys played a lot, didn't get injured and held their form. If you ask me out real priorities it's 1. 1st Choice Keeper 2. 1st choice Centre half 3. Add sub midfielder and sub striker.

We'd a huge squad when Klopp took over and after his 1st year he gutted it, a bloated squad of half interested prima-donna is of f**k all use to anyone and I think Klopp realises that. What you risk in terms of decimation by injury with a small squad you gain in a increased sense of camadarie and togetherness in the dressing room.

"Squad depth" is a buzz word I find used as a lazy analysis of why teams fail rather than getting to the root of the problem. A strong first 11 is better complimented by young, hungry if yet unproven group of subs who'll do what the manager wants rather than a slew of highly talented misfits sitting on fat salaries.

Uniteds glory years had at best a mid rate replacement side. Park, Smith, Fletcher,, Macheda, Saha, Anderson, Nani were all highly effective players off the bench at united who were found out as Bog standard hack merchants when moved further afield. United now have a star-studded, astronomically expensive bench who are probably less effective than the mid rate guys of 10 years ago.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: trileacman on July 14, 2018, 10:37:25 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 14, 2018, 08:00:22 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 14, 2018, 01:15:22 AM
Don't like this move at all, seems like Balotelli 2.0. Cheap player but lazy and who doesn't suit the system.

It'll all end in tears.
Balotelli was Liverpool's main signing along with Ricky Lambert that summer. Liverpool already have Fabino and Keita coming in so Shaqiri is being bought as a squad player for what these days is feck all money. I really doubt there will be any tears shed if it doesn't work out. He is 26, so even if it doesn't work out you'd probably still get £10mill for  him in two years off a small club like Everton or similar. It's about as close to a no risk signing as you will get imo.
For £14mill Liverpool are getting a player with loads of Premier League experience,has played for Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and has also played in 2 World Cups. To put that into perspective Liverpool got £15 million off Bournemouth for Jordan Ibe...
Wasn't it you that said Firmino was no good?  ;)

Yeah Firmino's shite.

There's more to it than finance. If he's starting and not playing well he'll cost us early season points, if he's coming on off the bench and not getting chances he'll sulk around the pitch costing us points. If he's dropped and not being played and likely to be sold he'll sulk around the training park disrupting the squad, costing us points. He doesn't suit how we play, let united have him to lump the ball up at lukaku's head.

Hopefully I'm piss wrong about this like I was with Firmino. It's just as a Liverpool fan life has robbed the optimism from me.

What you basing this on?  Has he form for this or are you just telling us what you think will happen?

Gabriel_Hurl

Sean Cox out of his coma this evening.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 14, 2018, 09:37:58 PM
Some good news. A long road ahead of him but that's excellent stuff after 3 months or so in a coma.

gawa316

supersub

Quote from: trileacman on July 14, 2018, 11:47:18 AM
Quote from: Boycey on July 14, 2018, 11:01:48 AM
That's a strange attitude trilleac is a squad not what Liverpool have been lacking?

Not really no. We were lucky with injuries this year and had little need for depth in the squad. Most guys played a lot, didn't get injured and held their form. If you ask me out real priorities it's 1. 1st Choice Keeper 2. 1st choice Centre half 3. Add sub midfielder and sub striker.

We'd a huge squad when Klopp took over and after his 1st year he gutted it, a bloated squad of half interested prima-donna is of f**k all use to anyone and I think Klopp realises that. What you risk in terms of decimation by injury with a small squad you gain in a increased sense of camadarie and togetherness in the dressing room.

"Squad depth" is a buzz word I find used as a lazy analysis of why teams fail rather than getting to the root of the problem. A strong first 11 is better complimented by young, hungry if yet unproven group of subs who'll do what the manager wants rather than a slew of highly talented misfits sitting on fat salaries.

Uniteds glory years had at best a mid rate replacement side. Park, Smith, Fletcher,, Macheda, Saha, Anderson, Nani were all highly effective players off the bench at united who were found out as Bog standard hack merchants when moved further afield. United now have a star-studded, astronomically expensive bench who are probably less effective than the mid rate guys of 10 years ago.

Couldn't disagree more.

Squad depth is essential to mount a sustained challenge for honours on all fronts. Any team who has won and/or consistently been challenging for league titles have had at least 2 or 3 players on their bench every game capable of starting or who are equally as good as some of the players in the starting xi. Squad quality rather than just depth is what Liverpool have been missing. Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, City have all had this when competing at the top table.

TabClear

Quote from: gawa316 on July 15, 2018, 05:20:23 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 14, 2018, 09:37:58 PM

Great news

Great to hear that. Hopefully he makes a full recovery'.

Expect another couple of transfers to happen pretty quickly now the World Cup is over. Keeper still the priority and the Barca no 2 Cillesen Probably the most likely.

blewuporstuffed

Was it cillisen that Van gaal replaced with Tim krul for the penalty shootout for Holland?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

TabClear

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2018, 07:14:31 AM
Is Cillessen any good? He's only played two games for Barcelona since joining in 2016.

He had a decent record in the Dutch league but what that means I have no idea. To be fair, Ver Stegen is a really good keeper so being behind him in the pecking order is not necessarily a big thing, especially at Barca where they do not tend to rotate keepers because of the way they play at the back.

LooseCannon

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 16, 2018, 09:30:34 AM
Was it cillisen that Van gaal replaced with Tim krul for the penalty shootout for Holland?
Yeah

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

Quote from: Minder on July 17, 2018, 03:06:37 PM
£62m bid for Alisson

JamesPearceEcho
1m1 minute ago
More
Liverpool have made their move for Alisson. Bid of around £62m. #LFC