GAA Miscellany

Started by Syferus, July 15, 2014, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Any good tidbits or interesting records out there?

I'll start - Jimmy Murray is the only man to captain his county in five senior football All-Ireland finals.

Owenmoresider

Sligo are I'd imagine the only county to have qualified for All Ireland football and National Football League finals but never to have played in any final in either.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Don Corleone

Willie/Billy Goodison of Wexford was the only ever married man to play in a Leinster Minor Final (Football).

Vin Baston (Waterford) refereed the 1945 hurling final prior to playing on the winning team of 1948.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Orior

Quote from: Don Corleone on July 15, 2014, 10:38:07 PM
Willie/Billy Goodison of Wexford was the only ever married man to play in a Leinster Minor Final (Football).

Vin Baston (Waterford) refereed the 1945 hurling final prior to playing on the winning team of 1948.

Now that's miscellany!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

His son Marco scored a great goal in 1988.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 11:37:58 PM

His son Marco scored a great goal in 1988.

Brill ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 15, 2014, 08:02:56 PM
Sligo are I'd imagine the only county to have qualified for All Ireland football and National Football League finals but never to have played in any final in either.

Eh?

Apparently, Matt Gallagher never kicked the ball in the 1992 All Ireland final, despite playing the full match.

Shrewdness

Nothing unique in that. Some Mayo players have achieved the same feat in several finals.!! ;D

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 16, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Nothing unique in that. Some Mayo players have achieved the same feat in several finals.!! ;D

I think Francie Bellew is unlikely to have kicked a ball in his entire 'footballing' career.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

heffo

Jim Gavin won six Cumann na mBunscoil finals - only person to do so afaik

ck

Hardly a major stat. Most defenders now never kick balls. In fact, bar kicking for a score you don't see much kicking from certain teams.

Jinxy

Quote from: ck on July 16, 2014, 09:15:40 AM

Hardly a major stat. Most defenders now never kick balls. In fact, bar kicking for a score you don't see much kicking from certain teams.

Kevin Reilly kicks the ball a lot.
A bit too often actually.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

No player scored in all three All Ireland finals in the 00s for Tyrone but one player scored in three All Ireland finals for Tyrone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2014, 10:01:43 AM
No player scored in all three All Ireland finals in the 00s for Tyrone but one player scored in three All Ireland finals for Tyrone.

Big Sean?

If you meant putting the ball betwixt the posts, PTG.
MWWSI 2017