Laois Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 16, 2019, 03:55:40 PM
All gone very quiet here lately . Port were by far the better team in the replay . The pace in the side really stood out . It would be a fairly good tussle between themselves and Portlaoise , two similar style teams with similar enough players . Anyone know why Adam Ryan is only coming in as a sub ? Also anyone know where Cathal Ryan is ? And young Diarmuid Bennett that was full back for the u20s last year ? Didn’t see the big McCann chap either ? Or young Kennedy in the backs who was a sub for the u20s this year ?the goalkeeper Osborne was injured too . Steven Lyons wasn’t togged out either

Portarlington, with their strongest fifteen out, could pose a real threat to Portlaoise this year. They are potentially a very pacey side. However, possibly due to their inexperience, they can be inconsistent. I think Adam Ryan is not starting yet because he is only coming back after a hand injury. If Ryan was interested, he is one who, in my opinion, a new manager should attempt to bring back into the Laois fold.

les Antiques

Wholeheartedly agree . Definitely worth a look at . Always thought he would could  be involved in the county set up .

Countyminor

Based on current evidence so far I'd say O'Dempsey's are still a bit ahead of Port but Port have a higher ceiling. We'll see Port win county titles in the next few years but it won't be this year. Definitely a coming team and one to watch out for going forward.

BallyroanAbu

On what I have seen maybe I am wrong but I have
1 Portlaoise (still think they won't win it this year have no idea whose going to beat them but think it will happen)
2 O Dempsey's (Clear second best impressed with the way they dealt with Graigue while playing poorly)
3 Portarlington (Potential but they are a distant third, while ahead of the rest)

But what do I know I had Ballylinan as Dark Horses for Championship, so far they have been poor.  Kilcruise unlucky to lose the other night.

The PRO

How I'd rank the remaining 12...

1.       Portlaoise – possible signs in the Courtwood game that they are not the team they were but with Carroll, Holland, Glynn and possibly Brody to come back in, wouldn't bet against them.

2.       Port – very talented team but might lack a bit of physical strength and size. I rate them slightly ahead of their neighbours.

3.       O'Dempseys – beaten finalists last year but haven't added to their team with possible exception of Brian Meredith. Will be there or thereabouts

4.       Emo – this might surprise some people but they have a very nice balance to their team. A bit weak at the back though. In very hard luck against B Abbey.

5.       Killeshin – have done nothing wrong so far. Two solid wins although left it late against A Killeen. Scope for improvement with three very good lads returning from USA.

6.       Ballyroan Abbey – unlucky to have to go to two replays. Think they will edge Josephs. A young team with big potential to improve.

7.       Graigue – far too inconsistent to win it but capable on their day of beating anyone. I think Emo will scrape by them although if Byrne and O'Reilly come back, maybe not.

8.       Ballylinan – Haven't impressed yet but Walsh's return might just get them into a quarter final. Dunne is one of the best forwards in the championship.

9.       Josephs – Should be way better than they are showing. A lot of lads miss a year here and there and they never seem to be working off a full squad.

10.   Courtwood – Good first 15 but I have doubts about their bench. Ballylinan game could be a bridge too far. Donoher not being fully fit is a huge blow for them.

11.   Arles Killeen – An aging team who depend so much on Donie K (and to a lesser extent his brother). Got a fortunate draw in Round 3 though.

12.   Ballyfin – Could leave me with a red face as they played very well against Crettyard. Wouldn't be huge shock if they beat A Killeen but I can't see them stopping the Kingstons.

Keyser Söze

Out of curiosity, what is the story with Brody? Apparently he is playing junior Hurling now!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Silkyskillssunshinee

THE PRO I think you're underestimating Courtwood a fair bit. They could just as easily be ranked second. How many teams will get within 6 of Portlaoise?

The PRO

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 19, 2019, 05:49:05 PM
THE PRO I think you're underestimating Courtwood a fair bit. They could just as easily be ranked second. How many teams will get within 6 of Portlaoise?
Yes, I could as easily have had them 4th or 5th. I don't think there's much between 7 or 8 of the teams left.

Jd

Are you from aymo by any chance??? I'd have em 8th or 9th at most would have Ballyroan Graiguecullen Joseph's and courtwood a bit ahead of them to be honest

The PRO

Quote from: Jd on August 19, 2019, 10:48:09 PM
Are you from aymo by any chance??? I'd have em 8th or 9th at most would have Ballyroan Graiguecullen Joseph's and courtwood a bit ahead of them to be honest
Ah look, just did it for a bit of craic/debate. Can't argue with you. Not much between any of them. I just have a sneaking feeling that Emo could take Graigue and who knows after that? And no, I'm not from Aymo!

Countyminor

Based on what I've seen so far I'd go with
1. Portlaoise
2. O'Dempseys
3. Port
4. Killeshin
5. Graigue
6. Courtwood
7. Ballyroan
8. Emo

You could throw a blanket over Killeen, Ballylinan, Joseph's and Ballyfin who I could easily see beating Killeen. Hard to pick who'll go down but I suppose the popular pick would be Crettyard, but given how bad Stradbally and The Heath have been I'd give them a chance.

SCFC

Quote from: Countyminor on August 20, 2019, 01:54:12 PM
Based on what I've seen so far I'd go with
1. Portlaoise
2. O'Dempseys
3. Port
4. Killeshin
5. Graigue
6. Courtwood
7. Ballyroan
8. Emo

You could throw a blanket over Killeen, Ballylinan, Joseph's and Ballyfin who I could easily see beating Killeen. Hard to pick who'll go down but I suppose the popular pick would be Crettyard, but given how bad Stradbally and The Heath have been I'd give them a chance.
The Heath seem to be well able to avoid the trap door despite coming close nearly every year. I think they'll beat Stradbally. Crettyard are in a bit of transition and Arles might edge them. I actually think Stradbally are in danger of dropping.

SCFC

Paddy Power ranks them as follows -

Portlaoise 1-4
Port and O'D's 9-1
Killeshin 10-1
Graigue 20-1
Killeen, Joe's, Emo and BA 25-1
Ballylinan 28-1
Courtwood 33-1
Ballyfin 100-1

Boyle's are a bit different -

Portlaoise 4-11
Port 15-2
O'D's 9-1
Killeshin 12-1
BA 16-1
Graigue 20-1
Joe's 28-1
Killeen, Ballylinan and Courtwood 33-1
Ballyfin and Emo 50-1

The PRO

Killeen, Ballylinan, Emo and Ballyroan to win this weekend for me. All games should be close enough you'd think. Could easily get all 4 wrong!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Ballyfin beat Arles-Killeen 5-17 to 3-13. That's the highest scoring senior football game I think I've heard of in a long, long time.