Laois Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Don Draper on September 17, 2019, 02:01:00 PM
Port win the psychological battle, Graigue lads here shit themselves at the thought of going to McCann Park
Really ? Graigue have more than a right to question the venue. I believe Port will win but the venue wont decide it.

les Antiques

Love to see the replay in Stradbally or somewhere like it but understand why it can't be .
Can see Graigue pulling this off Thursday .

town1980

Graigue v port  o Moore park 8 pm
Winners it's so hard call I went for port and they nearly snatched it but it would have been hard on graigue who I felt were 6 points better side the scores they missed were criminal mostly frees,, there is plenty of improvement for both sides but I'll stick with port younger legs with a quick turnaround could do it

High Fielder

It's great to see new teams coming through, but it's sad to see the decline in standards. Yes Portlaoise have come back to the field a little, but nobody is putting up a solid effort to meet them. The new man might be going into Division 2 with a weaker panel than Sugrue had in 3. Only in Laois. It remains the case that coaching in this county is not good enough to improve teams, and the emergence of Ballyfin and Killeshin is proof of that. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the players on either of those teams who will make a difference to Laois. I say that with all the respect due to both sides, who I admire greatly. At least they have shown a willingness to knuckle down and get to where they have. A lot of teams in Laois have lost the desire and change is needed. It's a shame they can't see that.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on September 18, 2019, 10:17:56 AM
The new man might be going into Division 2 with a weaker panel than Sugrue had in 3. Only in Laois.
Why only in Laois?

Silkyskillssunshinee

I don't see that being the case HighFielder. The winner of the Graigue-Port replay should really fancy their chances of toppling The Town. Portlaoise have beaten a Courtwood team who didn't even make the quarters by 6 points, and only beat an under-performing St Joseph's team by 3.

As for Ballyfin and Killeshin, there are definitely a few very decent prospects on both, hence why they are in the semi-finals. I'd say James Finn and Sean Moore are of county standard for Ballyfin, while Michael Doran, the two Lowry's and Attride can offer plenty to this year's set-up as well.

High Fielder

Would it be fair to say Silky that Portlaoise under performed too? That's how it looked to me anyway. I hope you're right about talent coming through. I haven't seen too many yet that will make an impression; not unless some walk away, which from what I hear could be likely.

This is what I meant by "only in Laois". It's common enough for counties to have coaches and players walking away from a bad year or situation. We've had a good couple of years and the coach has gone and some players may be going too. That sort of shoot yourself in the foot policy seems to be unique to us. It's not going to be an easy job for Quirke. It's possible to be deceived by what you see in our Championship because the standard is so bad. Players can get all sorts of tallies but nobody apart from Donie can make it count consistently for Laois. And that for me is what Quirke will need to focus on. We have enough good footballers in Laois, but aside from Sugrue's intervention, they have been badly coached and developed. And I'm not sure turning coaches around every couple of years will help that. There are other factors of course, and this goes deeper than who we get in as Senior Manager.

Don Draper

That's a long winded way of saying I didn't think my post through very well

High Fielder

Laoiseabu

If port are what I think they are they should beat graigue tomorrow and be there or thereabouts with Portlaoise . But they do have a tendency to blow hot and cold .

Neutralobserver

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 18, 2019, 11:23:42 PM
If port are what I think they are they should beat graigue tomorrow and be there or thereabouts with Portlaoise . But they do have a tendency to blow hot and cold .
Well the blow fairly hot tonight... that's some scoreline

Countyminor

Some win for Port tonight, absolutely ripped Graigue to shreds at one end but struggled to kill them off at the other. Whisper it but I'd have them as favourites to beat the town in 10 days time.

Chrimtain

town1980

Port were awesome tonight graigues scoreline  flattered them they were  aweful,, the town v another town what a game we have in store in 10 days time 👌

The Monument Road

Congrats to Kileshin, Ballyfin, Port and Portlaoise on reaching the semis. Wonderful to see new progressive teams in the shakeup and hopefully a few new faces will arise for the County.
Also Hard luck to Zach https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/09/20/disappointment-for-tuohy-as-geelong-miss-out-on-grand-final-place/
Hopfully we'll be on the same flight home next week for the Laois semis.