Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

IFA are original body, but players were rarely picked from the "South" before partition, and games were rarely played in Dublin, but nearly always in Belfast.

So, the FAI formed their own body. Hardly surprising that they didn't want to form an allegiance with because like everything else in the sectarian loyalist gerrymandered statelet at the time (and since), the IFA was a sectarian organisation. And still is.

general_lee

Quote from: stew on October 09, 2015, 03:53:17 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 09, 2015, 11:55:15 AM
Quote from: Orior on October 09, 2015, 11:41:02 AM
Fair play to the six counties and each of their players are to be congratulated. I was pleased to see them qualify with a game to spare.

However my loyalty remains with Ireland because:
1) The existence of an NI team underlines the separation of my country
2) NI soccer flags fly along side loyalist paramilitary flags
3) Their national anthem

Great post! +1

I think that is just plain wrong, the IFA was formed before the FAI, it was the FAI that broke away from the IFA, if so it is the IFA that caused the separation between the two.
The IFA was always an "ulster-centric" body even prior to partition. Yes it was the original body but it blatantly discriminated hence the need for the FAI to form. I would however like to see the FAI dissolved and merged back into the IFA

BennyCake

FAI merging with IFA?

Could you see Billy from the Shankill having a pre match pint in Dublin with Sean from The Falls with a tri colour wrapped around him? It's pure fantasy land, that is, so it is.

general_lee

Quote from: BennyCake on October 09, 2015, 04:49:42 PM
FAI merging with IFA?

Could you see Billy from the Shankill having a pre match pint in Dublin with Sean from The Falls with a tri colour wrapped around him? It's pure fantasy land, that is, so it is.
Well I aspire to a unified Irish state and believe that is possible... So I don't see why a new team with new anthem, flag (and colours if need be) wouldn't work. If billy and Sean don't like it they can do one

BennyCake

Quote from: general_lee on October 09, 2015, 04:56:43 PM
FAI merging with IFA?

Well I aspire to a unified Irish state and believe that is possible... So I don't see why a new team with new anthem, flag (and colours if need be) wouldn't work. If billy and Sean don't like it they can do one

I'll tell them you said that  ;D

armaghniac

FAI merging with IFA?

That's the problem with this kind of proposal. It is always characterised as joining "themmuns", the people you have rows with a couple of streets away. But neither Billy nor Sean are Ireland, and Jim from Banbridge and Frank from Waterford should be able to have a pint without problems.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Tony Baloney

Quote from the Irish Times above shows what's important at Windsor Park.

"Lots of Catholics support Northern Ireland and that is certainly the way it should be, as long as they stand for the Queen, that's all we want to know."

dec

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 09, 2015, 08:16:19 PM

"Lots of Catholics support Northern Ireland and that is certainly the way it should be, as long as they stand for the Queen, that's all we want to know."

No, it shows what is important for one Shankill Road Loyalist.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: dec on October 09, 2015, 10:39:49 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 09, 2015, 08:16:19 PM

No, it shows what is important for one Shankill Road Loyalist.
The article said he was speaking in an official capacity representing all Northern Ireland fans.

bennydorano

Yer hole, 72 yr old stove from the Shankill NI supporters club.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on October 09, 2015, 10:59:42 PM
Yer hole, 72 yr old stove from the Shankill NI supporters club.
Are you saying a sample of 1 isn't a representative cross - section of the community?

Jell 0 Biafra

omaghjoe

Fair play to Norn Iron and they will defo be my 2nd team in the tournament, if the Republic qualify.

Although the location of Windsor Park doesnt help, Eddie Harrison and his sentiment don't own Norn Iron. Its not exclusive to those guys and that attitude, as I am sure gawa could testify.