Saffron Sweep 2008 - Winners Announced

Started by Mhic Easmuint, March 17, 2008, 09:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Bought a ticket last year - even better prizes this year. Also went to the Race Day at Down Royal - fabulous event. Antrim showing a bit of class with these professionally presented initiatives and I have no qualms about how money is being spent. At long last a county board in Antrim is on the money! Good luck to them with this.
Fierce tame altogether

lynchbhoy

Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2008, 10:25:55 PM
What about people who attempted to buy a ticket off you before you abused a member of that person's family before telling the person to stick his money up his back passage?
as a humble man of humble means, I'll still get the pennies together to buy a ticket off you (although you had no intentionof actually parting with the money in the first place  ;))
or if safron sam contacts me, I'll buy one off him......mostly because I feel sorry for him, and this may make him join up to this! :D

saffron sam2

Quote from: slow corner back on March 19, 2008, 04:26:37 PM
So Sam you consider that Antrim who currently compete in Div 1 hurling and Div 4 football are wasting money on hurling???. Remind me in the last thirty years how many Ulster titles have Antrim footballers won and I will go and try to work out how many Antrim hurlers have won.

I'm afraid I owe you an apology. I always thought your handle referred to a lack of pace, whereas it is not obvious that it refers to intellectual limitations. However to further this debate with you I will add this picture.

You also don't appear to have a great understanding of the meaning of the word 'compete'.

Quote from: the colonel on March 19, 2008, 05:08:40 PM
whats your problem with north antrim? all the money they raise they put straight back into their games. every penny is spent on exactly what the committee says it is, developing gaa in north antrim. never in north antrim have kids had so many games, and thats exactly why teams trom donegal, derry, down and more attend their juvenille competitions.

The problem is with the county chairman and his myopic approach to the GAA in Antrim. Fair play to those involved in the schemes you outline, but until Dr McSparran realises there is more than hurling under his remit then he can't expect footballing people to embrace his grandeous schemes.

those two score lines are against two of the three best teams in Ireland. i would love to see how antrim fare against kerry or mayo/ tyrone in football. and i am not a football man but am delighted to see the footballers getting better. fair play, but they play in division 4, so why should all the money going to developing football. it should be equal.

Last time Antrim played Tyrone in a championship match (2003), a goal and a point in injury game gave Tyrone an ill-deserved 8 point win. In the qualifiers that year Antrim ran the reigning All-Ireland champions (then officially the best team in Ireland) to three points. I don't see the hurlers coming close to either result in the Championship against one of the top half dozen teams in the foreseeable future.

The last time Antrim played Kerry (NFL) it resulted in a nine point win for Kerry (1-14 to 0-8). I have included the Kerry team for your perusal.

D O' Keefe, M McCarthy, B O'Shea, K Burns; S Moynihan (0-1), M Hassett, T O Se; D O'Se (0-2), W Kirby; J Mc Glynn (0-2), L Hassett (0-1), D Daly; J Murphy (0-3), J Crowley (cpt, 1-2), D O' Cinneide (0-3). Subs: M Fitzgerald for L Hassett (41mins) J Ferriter for J Crowley (52mins), N Kennelly for D O'Se (58mins).

Multiple All-Ireland winners and All-Stars galore there, not like the Cork team sent up here at the weekend.

and how sure are you that the county is paying jody gormley?

I don't; hence question number 2 from earlier in the thread.

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 19, 2008, 09:44:58 PM
Tell you what Sam - we should get on to the County Board and tell them your tickets are to go solely on football and mine on hurling. Seems fair enough to me!

An excellent idea - why not let the clubs selling the tickets decide exactly what scheme they want their tickets to go towards. This would be another incentive for clubs to sell more tickets and they could even donate their commission to show they cared.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

Ok saff so if we are running these teams so close why are we still in the Tommy Murphy cup and div 4. We are a shite team and last night proved how shite we are.

In regards to your score lines with the Tyrone and Armaghs and Kerry's of this world, it does not reflect the possession they had in those games. Also you managed to leave out how Clare beat us at Casement and Wicklow, and other such powerful teams

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on March 20, 2008, 08:56:38 AM
Ok saff so if we are running these teams so close why are we still in the Tommy Murphy cup and div 4. We are a shite team and last night proved how shite we are.

Years of deeply incompetent management and administration, including a significant input from your own club. Hopefully the corner has been turned there and once Jody Gormley is replaced by Kevin Madden the upward curve will be much steeper. Last night only proved my ongoing points re the management rather than the quality of player.

Quote from: milltown row on March 20, 2008, 08:56:38 AM
In regards to your score lines with the Tyrone and Armaghs and Kerry's of this world, it does not reflect the possession they had in those games. Also you managed to leave out how Clare beat us at Casement and Wicklow, and other such powerful teams

I was simply answering the question put to me by another poster. But like slow corner back, you are right. History doesn't record winning scorelines, it records (and decides matches) on the amount of possession. Thanks for that insight.

I have discussed the Clare loss many times and it can be summed up in two words. Mickey Culbert.

And your wee lad never brought in any Jammie Dodgers during his work experience.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bacon

Things are bad in Antrim when an attempt to advertise a County fund raising initiative turns into a public slagging match.  :-\
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

irunthev

I'm good friends with one of the guys who has been involved in Club Antrim from the very beginning and the amount of work he is putting into it is incredible. I know for certain that this guy has no agenda other than for the betterment of the GAA in Antrim. I'm delighted they are being so progressive and I wish them all the luck in the future.

milltown row

And your wee lad never brought in any Jammie Dodgers during his work experience.
[/quote]

yes Saffron i told him not to bring anything in, although i was very surprised with the chocolates on his last day

he did like his tracksuit though

Gold

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 20, 2008, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: slow corner back on March 19, 2008, 04:26:37 PM

You also don't appear to have a great understanding of the meaning of the word 'compete'.

Last time Antrim played Tyrone in a championship match (2003), a goal and a point in injury game gave Tyrone an ill-deserved 8 point win. In the qualifiers that year Antrim ran the reigning All-Ireland champions (then officially the best team in Ireland) to three points. I don't see the hurlers coming close to either result in the Championship against one of the top half dozen teams in the foreseeable future.

The last time Antrim played Kerry (NFL) it resulted in a nine point win for Kerry (1-14 to 0-8). I have included the Kerry team for your perusal.

D O' Keefe, M McCarthy, B O'Shea, K Burns; S Moynihan (0-1), M Hassett, T O Se; D O'Se (0-2), W Kirby; J Mc Glynn (0-2), L Hassett (0-1), D Daly; J Murphy (0-3), J Crowley (cpt, 1-2), D O' Cinneide (0-3). Subs: M Fitzgerald for L Hassett (41mins) J Ferriter for J Crowley (52mins), N Kennelly for D O'Se (58mins).

Multiple All-Ireland winners and All-Stars galore there, not like the Cork team sent up here at the weekend.

when did this Kerry v Antrim Match take place??

In what Division??--i dont believe it did take place--i thought the last time was a national league quarter final in the late 80's??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Mhic Easmuint

when did this Kerry v Antrim Match take place??

In what Division??--i dont believe it did take place--i thought the last time was a national league quarter final in the late 80's??

About 6/7 years ago in Div 2B I think.  The last year Brian White was in charge.

the colonel

QuoteThe problem is with the county chairman and his myopic approach to the GAA in Antrim. Fair play to those involved in the schemes you outline, but until Dr McSparran realises there is more than hurling under his remit then he can't expect footballing people to embrace his grandeous schemes.

fair enough answer to the rest of the points, but what has dr john got to with North Antrims CDC? absolutely nothing, and thats fact. that all comes from NA and is highly successful so he cant even claim that. north antrim raise all their funds by a committee that spends their time getting external sponsors and not asking off the county board for continual handouts. this is the only divisional board making progress and you are putting them down. gets my goat
the difference between success and failure is energy

An Duin Abu

How many divisional boards are there in Antrim?

Mhic Easmuint

Info the last month for ticket sales!!!!!
Get your ticket now!!!

Club Commission is open to all GAA clubs.

Full details at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Buy your ticket online

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: hardstation on May 06, 2008, 12:28:49 AM
Interestingly, ss2 seems to be doing his best to help the cause....

The more the better!!

theskull1

Only started reading this thread this morning. It's beyond me how anybody in this county could be so negative towards the hurling fraternity. As much as I would love to be putting it up to the top intercounty teams it still does not detract from what is a fantastic local game played at a fairly decent level. Any hurling match played with full passion and commitment is a joy to watch/play in. Thank god there are plenty of clubs/support left in Antrim who know about such things

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera