Laois Senior Hurlers 2023

Started by mcwregor, November 18, 2022, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois man

No Martin Phelan is the starting team? Have you being at any of the games this year? Most hard working affective forward we have.

burdizzo

Quote from: Laois man on March 13, 2023, 02:46:34 PM
No Martin Phelan is the starting team? Have you being at any of the games this year? Most hard working affective forward we have.

I agree. I'd have him there before Scully.

Zooming around

I've been at them all bar yesterday (including Walsh Cup).

A hard trier alright but limited. He might start.

I just offered my opinion, that's all.

Laois man

I have being at them all aswell and if we have 6 forwards better than him we will win the Joe Mcdonagh cup but we haven't nice forwards won't always work in the heat of battle come Cship.

mcwregor

Whats the story with Roddy. Didnt get a run yesterday. I know his form is poor but surely worth 10 minutes unless he's injured?
Id go with
Rowland
Hartnell
P Delaney
Shanahan
J Kelly
P Purcell
FC Fennell
J Keyes
A Corby
P Maher
R Mullaney
R King
A Dunphy
M Phelan
M Keyes

blueandwhite1

Would tend to agree with that team mcwregor. Would like to see it more settled by now. Scully was flying a couple of years ago and has a bit of pace so possibly we would play him in the corner and push Aaron Dunphy out to the wing where he gets alot of his scores from. I like the look of Phelan but he is not a tried and tested entity in fast summer hurling. Adds strength though which we are badly missing.

Zooming around

We could all probably name 13 of the starting team now. A couple of spots up for grabs

Spiritof86

So it's Westmeath in Thurles on Saturday. This is going to be tough .
Would it be fair to say that start of Willie Mahers regime has been a little underwhelming? Would many of the hurling lads closer to the scene agree with that ?

Laois man

Apart from maybe Antrim we were never going to beat any other team in the league. Wille Maher mangerment will be basic on beating westmeath sat and going well in the Joe Mcdonagh that's our standard like it or not. And if kildare. Offaly or kerry go up to div 1 next year they haven't a hope of winning any games either.

burdizzo

But it is underwhelming - opening win in the Walsh Cup aside. When Brennan was there we should have beaten the Dubs in the league, and did beat them in the championship. We lost heavily last year to Westmeath in championship, so this is a bit of a litmus test on Saturday. They're not primed as well as Brennan had them. Remember the relegation play-off against them in OMP two years ago? We were steeped to get away that day - a dodgy sending off doing helping us on our way, too!

Laois man

Eddie is long gone no point going on what he done or didn't do fair enough we beat Dublin which was a great day and played well again Tipp in Croke Park. But don't forget we got some hidings aswell under Eddie. Speaking to lads now training is going well and there very happy with Maher and big Dan who takes alot of the training sessions. We are years behind the big boys in terms of S and C so we have a lot of catching up to do.

Spiritof86

In fairness I Don't think he is going on about ED in a fanciful sense . Just making a couple of points about a previous regime when we were definitely more competitive.

Wasn't at the last two matches but there is definitely a sense he hasn't yet cracked the positioning of a lot of players . Paddy Purcell for example has played in 6 different positions this season and Mullaney 5 amongst others .
It's definitely work in progress and the players generally seem to be on board .
The thing I've took from the league is we lack a bit of physicality over the pitch .

burdizzo

Quote from: Laois man on March 21, 2023, 03:24:26 PM
Eddie is long gone no point going on what he done or didn't do fair enough we beat Dublin which was a great day and played well again Tipp in Croke Park. But don't forget we got some hidings aswell under Eddie. Speaking to lads now training is going well and there very happy with Maher and big Dan who takes alot of the training sessions. We are years behind the big boys in terms of S and C so we have a lot of catching up to do.

I also heard that the training isn't quite at the same level or intensity as it was under Brennan. Yes, it's true, Brennan is long gone - but a good few of these players were there under him, and they seemed to operating on a higher plane a few years ago. Just saying that we are capable of a bit more. Saturday will tell a lot.

marty34

Quote from: burdizzo on March 21, 2023, 04:22:23 PM
Quote from: Laois man on March 21, 2023, 03:24:26 PM

I also heard that the training isn't quite at the same level or intensity as it was under Brennan. Yes, it's true, Brennan is long gone - but a good few of these players were there under him, and they seemed to operating on a higher plane a few years ago. Just saying that we are capable of a bit more. Saturday will tell a lot.

I wonder how the training is better?

Is it better coaching or what?

SpeculativeEffort

2pm on Saturday in Thurles for a relegation game vs Westmeath

Who sets these fixtures?

Almost every Div2, 3 etc game along with all Joe McDonagh games seem to be on Saturdays around midday.

WHY? HOW DOES THIS PROMOTE HURLING IN THESE COUNTIES?