Laois Senior Hurlers 2023

Started by mcwregor, November 18, 2022, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Lee Cleere and Sean Downey are two very big losses. Excellent players.

Spiritof86

LAOIS

1 – Enda Rowland (Abbeyleix)
2 – Fiachra C-Fennell (Rosenallis)
3 – Donnchadh Hartnett (Rosenallis)
4 – Padraig Dunne (The Harps)
5 – Podge Lawlor (Ballinakill)
6 – Paddy Purcell (Rathdowney-Errill)
7 – Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
8 – Liam Senior (Clonaslee-St Manman's)
9 – Jack Kelly (Rathdowney-Errill)
10 – Aaron Dunphy (Borris-Kilcotton)
11 – Willie Dunphy (Clough-Ballacolla)
12 – James Keyes (Colt-Shanahoe)
13 – James Duggan (The Harps)
14 – Martin Phelan (Castletown)
15 – Tomas Keyes (Camross)

SUBS

16 – Ben Campion (Rathdowney-Errill)
17 – Ross King (Rathdowney-Errill)
18 – Fionan Mahony (Abbeyleix)
19 – Lawson Obulor (Abbeyleix)
20 – Enda Parlon (Borris-Kilcotton)
21 – Ciaran Byrne (Abbeyleix)
22 – Danny Brennan (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
23 – PJ Scully (Borris-Kilcotton)
24 – Brandon McGinley (Rathdowney-Errill)
25 – Jordan Walshe (Clough-Ballacolla)
26 – Seamus Fitzpatrick (

Zooming around

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 07, 2023, 08:28:18 AM

LAOIS

1 – Enda Rowland (Abbeyleix)
2 – Fiachra C-Fennell (Rosenallis)
3 – Donnchadh Hartnett (Rosenallis)
4 – Padraig Dunne (The Harps)
5 – Podge Lawlor (Ballinakill)
6 – Paddy Purcell (Rathdowney-Errill)
7 – Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
8 – Liam Senior (Clonaslee-St Manman's)
9 – Jack Kelly (Rathdowney-Errill)
10 – Aaron Dunphy (Borris-Kilcotton)
11 – Willie Dunphy (Clough-Ballacolla)
12 – James Keyes (Colt-Shanahoe)
13 – James Duggan (The Harps)
14 – Martin Phelan (Castletown)
15 – Tomas Keyes (Camross)

SUBS

16 – Ben Campion (Rathdowney-Errill)
17 – Ross King (Rathdowney-Errill)
18 – Fionan Mahony (Abbeyleix)
19 – Lawson Obulor (Abbeyleix)
20 – Enda Parlon (Borris-Kilcotton)
21 – Ciaran Byrne (Abbeyleix)
22 – Danny Brennan (Park-Ratheniska-Timahoe)
23 – PJ Scully (Borris-Kilcotton)
24 – Brandon McGinley (Rathdowney-Errill)
25 – Jordan Walshe (Clough-Ballacolla)
26 – Seamus Fitzpatrick (

Christ but there's an awful rawness about some of them lads.
I hope they do well.

Laois man

They have to start somewhere at least they committed to the panel which it tough going fair play to them and best of luck tomorrow.

Keyser Söze

I can see both points above, and there are some guys in that should have been in before now.
There are also guys that you wouldn't be certain will be start with their clubs.

The set up sounds positive.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Intersting starting positions for some there. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Great to see Willie Dunphy committing again. If ever there was a lad who could stay away it would be Willie with his injuries etc.
He's certainly a role model for others. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Encouraging work out, albeit against a weak-ish Wexford (or so I assume, only got a brief glimpse of the programme). Of the 'new boys', Mossy Keyes was the most impressive, although Martin Phelan did OK at full-forward in the first half, and Padraig Dunne was good in the full-back line. Actually, the whole full-back line was good today. Not so sure about Purcell at centre-back. I assume Podge Dunne is in line to come back in? James Keyes is probably our most skilful hurler at this stage - always a good first touch. Jack Kelly played very well, too. James Dugggan was nervous on the frees, but scored a couple from play. Still, not an amazing debut. Great save from Rowland at the end after Chin had set up a certain goal chance.

Fine day, good crowd, and nice to see most of the subs getting on. And a win - what more do we want? Oh, a lad that can catch a high ball in the air, maybe?!

Oh yeah - tackling was lot better today, too.

LaoisAbu20

Very encouraging start for the lads today. The full back line really put in a great performance today. Nice to see some new faces getting a run out and some familiar faces lining out in different positions. Mossy Keyes was a delight to watch. Great to see such a crowd in Mountrath.

Still plenty of room for improvement, in particular our half back line needs work, too much space and an unwillingness to mark up puts immense pressure on the full back line. Thought the forwards could work a bit harder in winning back position but hopefully they will work on this in training.

Even though it's the Walsh cup, I'd be interested to see how we get on next week against Kilkenny.

mcwregor

Marked improvement on anything I saw last year. Most of our lads played today have seen action before. Very few played badly today even the subs that came in the majority of them contributed positively. Mossy is a real class act. When duggan gets a decent ball in he is dangerous. Thought paddy purcell got through a mountain of work, backs in general were solid enough.
The main gripe I would have today is giving the opposition soft short puckouts. Numerous wexford scores came from their own puckout from working the ball to a shooting position, it was far too easy at times. Some were hit 50 60 metres uncontested. Others went to full back who strolled out hand passed to Wing back and he went on the attack. Needs to be looked at.
All in all it was a good outing.

Laois man

Good win good crowd great to have games back on. Keyes very good Full backine good. Half back line Paddy done a lot of hurling but his man was wexford man of the match maybe try Mullaney in the forwards as he was very good there with his club. Martin Phelan done well on his first fame. A few lads to come back. All looks positive.

Zooming around

Quote from: Laois man on January 08, 2023, 08:45:49 PM
Good win good crowd great to have games back on. Keyes very good Full backine good. Half back line Paddy done a lot of hurling but his man was wexford man of the match maybe try Mullaney in the forwards as he was very good there with his club. Martin Phelan done well on his first fame. A few lads to come back. All looks positive.

I'd go with Ryan centre back and push Paddy Purcell back up the field

Laois man

Agree also Podge Delaney could fill in at number 6.

redsetanta

A win is a win and nothing brings confidence like winning.

A season opener or not it's not often we get the better of the likes of Wexford these days so fair play.

Maher is a good manager and if he can have a similar affect to Eddie Brennan then we will hopefully have a good year.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

What I liked was the energy levels and workrate of everyone on the field. This hasn't always been there but it seems to be back.

Tactically, there are probably lots of things still to do but if everyone's head is in the right place, that will come. The experiment of playing Paddy Purcell at centre back was an interesting one. Happy to see these things being tried out.

Pleasure to be in Mountrath for a game like this.

Zooming around

Where is the match next Sunday?