Laois Senior Hurlers 2023

Started by mcwregor, November 18, 2022, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois man

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

redsetanta

Decent run out against the Cats in fairness.

Good score to put up against them.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Laois hurled well for 25 minutes. Then shot a few bad wides which allowed Kilkenny to open a gap.

Kilkenny upped the physicality and we backed off them alot in the second half which allowed them to do whatever they wanted.

Still, plenty of positives.

Laois man

Shocking second half today 8 up at htime need a full back bigtime should have won that game by 10 points.

LaoisAbu20

Good few lessons to take away from today's game. We started off sluggish but gradually got into the game and by half time it was ours to lose. Once offaly got the red card we didn't know what to do with the spare man, this has been a problem for us in the past. The two goals offaly got came from lack of communication in the back line. Unfortunately, Mullaney didn't seem at ease at full back and Dunne seemed to miss read a good few situations today. Thought Podge Delaney did well at centre back and that the two yellows he received were ridiculous. To be honest thought the ref lost the run of himself after the red card and there were several questionable decisions. However our discipline slipped and that's something we've got to improve on. Thought Phelan was great and worked tirelessly in the forwards. We need to get better with our shooting decisions and pass it to the man in the best position as opposed to just going for pot shots.

We have this awful habit of turning in on ourselves when the going gets tough. Instead the lads need to get it together and play cohesively. Thought Corby did well and covered a lot of ground. Duggan did well but should have backed himself for that goal chance in the second half. We still let the sliotar out too easy from the forwards and I hope that they work on this in training. In saying that I still think that the half back line is not right and leaves a lot of room for errors. Missed the likes of Fiachra fennell today as he actually tracks back. Would prefer to see Hartnett manning the backs as he seems to be able to get the lads to communicate and keep some sort of formation. Definitely need to work on breaking the ball better in the backs and working it out the line at a faster pace.

Today was definitely an eye opener, we slipped back into some bad habits instead of pushing on and punishing Offaly, we were the ones that got punished. Still positive in comparison to this time last year. Hopefully the lads will tackle these issues head on and be prepared for Tipperary.

redsetanta

All things considered it was a good run out,

Maher will learn more from the defeat that a big victory. He got a good look at players under pressure and he has used a lot of lads over the 3 games.

Hopefully we don't get any big beatings in the league and take some form into the Joe McDonagh. That's the time to be beating Offaly.

mcwregor

1st round of league v Tipp

Enda Rowland
Donnacha Hartnett
Podge Delaney
Fiachra C Fennell
Paddy Purcell
Ryan Mullanney
Jack Kelly
James Keyes
Aaron Dunphy
Mossy Keyes
Willie Dunphy
Stephen Maher
Roddy King
Martin Phelan
James Duggan

Thoughts?
Tipp training is supposedly ferocious and are very fit. They are putting huge emphasis on tackling and even swarm tackling. We will need to be sharp to have any chance.
They are also going for goals with half a chance so we need to be wary of that. I dont think they are actually that good so if we can stay with them for as long as we can and hope for the best. Cant afford anymore second half capitulations.

Laois man

Will picky start? I believe hes only back training a short while. Good to find 3 newcomers in Mossy Duggan and Martin Phelan.

redsetanta

Great to see Willie Dunphy being named captain. Always gives 100% for Laois.

G@@

Christ on a bike €18 to get into Semple at 5pm on Saturday.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Spiritof86

Jaysus ..very steep for a one off match

Laois man

So for myself and my 2 student sons it's 48 euro no thanks Radio 3 will do instead.