2023 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 10, 2022, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

No we don't have a defence coach . Absolute no defensive plan in place and if there is I haven't seen it yet .

recyclebin

Only for injuries and blood subs, would Billy Sheehan have even made any substitutions at all on Sunday. There has been no progress or development of the squad or players at all since he took over. 

Tier2

Quote from: Spiritof86 on March 21, 2023, 01:45:44 PM
No we don't have a defence coach . Absolute no defensive plan in place and if there is I haven't seen it yet .

Is there not a collective of coach's involved?
Conway
Mulligan
McGill

Plus seen Paddy Dunne involved surely these can put a defensive plan in place.

Spiritof86

Quote from: Tier2 on March 21, 2023, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: Spiritof86 on March 21, 2023, 01:45:44 PM

Is there not a collective of coach's involved?
Conway
Mulligan
McGill

Plus seen Paddy Dunne involved surely these can put a defensive plan in place.

All coach's yes . No specific defensive coach though .  But you're right surely they can put something together.

The PRO

Anyone know the story with James Kelly of St Josephs? Doesn't seem to be involved this year - thought he was one of the better performers anytime I saw him last year.

Butch Cassidy

Good question the PRO. Similar question re Diarmuid Whelan, he injured or not committing?

County Man

Round 7 has arrived, best of luck to the lads today in Ruislip. Last time we went there we got out with a 2 point victory in 2018.

We were unlucky not to get a result last week against Leitrim. We responded well to the concession of the 2nd goal and played some good football at times.

Leitrim themselves have some sharp forwards, great support and with home advantage v Sligo today, I expect them to win. They clashed last year in the Tailteann cup and it went to extra time and penalties!

Leitrim and Laois to get promoted to division 3.

Laois Abu

Tier2

This is unfortunately the lowest point we have ever been to get relegated to division 4 but to remain there is inexcusable.

We know what billy has brought to the table is there an appetite to cut our loses before championship.

Long flight home ahead

Countyminor

You can't lose to Leitrim and Wicklow and expect to be promoted. Division 4 is very much our level unfortunately and the sooner Billy walks the better. Also, are we the only Division 3/4 county with a 16 team senior championship? For such a poor standard of football internally in Laois we sure do have grand notions about ourselves. Our senior and underage structures are breeding mediocrity. We're not where we are by accident.

marty34

Quote from: Countyminor on March 26, 2023, 03:11:38 PM
You can't lose to Leitrim and Wicklow and expect to be promoted. Division 4 is very much our level unfortunately and the sooner Billy walks the better. Also, are we the only Division 3/4 county with a 16 team senior championship? For such a poor standard of football internally in Laois we sure do have grand notions about ourselves. Our senior and underage structures are breeding mediocrity. We're not where we are by accident.

Laois, both football and hurling, need a serious re-vamp ....starting at their underage structures.

Need to go back to square one asap.

Tier2

Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2023, 03:42:28 PM

Laois, both football and hurling, need a serious re-vamp ....starting at their underage structures.

Need to go back to square one asap.

Completely agree plough all resources into development panels change the culture

High Fielder

When all is said and done, we continue to think we have the nucleus of something good here. That might have been true many moons ago, but it's nowhere near anymore. I can't stand what we are if I'm honest. It annoys me. I'd rather not send any Laois team out than the whipping boys we have become. It's demoralising, it's cancerous and it's a shocking waste of time and money. We're a functioning GAA county, but no.more. We exist only to participate, never to achieve. Most sane people want nothing to do with it. I really don't blame them.

Andy06

The 2-8 conceded tells its own story. We have let in 2 goals in 4 of our last 5 games against Division 4 opposition, if those teams can cut through us so easily then Lord knows what a division 3 team will do, let alone a division 1 or 2 team.
Its obvious that Billy is not up to it, pretty sure any coach worth his salt would get a tune out of his players at this level, and at least have them competitive against the Westmeath's, Limerick's and Antrim's of this world in division 3. He's had 2 years to implement some semblance of a plan, is there one actually evident? Definitely no defensive plan anyways.

On a greater scheme of things are we coaching players correctly at an underage (or even down to primary school) level? Are we coaching defenders to actually defend or is it basically all just hand pass it up and down the pitch for 60 mins. Until we get the structure right it doesn't really matter who we have in charge of the seniors, they will always have a ceiling of the third tier.

High Fielder

The players are not good enough. Never mind Billy. Billy isn't a magician. None of those players are good enough to get into a Division 2 team. Not one of them. We didn't get promotion and even if we did, we would have dropped straight away

Giovanni

That's simply not true. At least 4 of our forward line - O Carroll, Barry, Lowry and Kingston - are very well capable of playing at a high level. Only a few years ago, Derry was languishing in Division 4. Now they're beating Dublin. We also see the difference good management has made in Louth.

Having said that, of course, huge work is needed from the ground up. Maybe someone might go talking to Karl Lacey?