Laois Senior Football Championship 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 25, 2022, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: Ballybrittas Boy on August 26, 2022, 10:24:48 AM
There are some really obvious looking potential amalgamations out there. It would be great to see one of them doing what Rathdowney Errill or Colt Shanahoe did.

You have Stradbally Timahoe and Annanough, Courtwood and Emo, Ballylinan and the 2 Arles clubs, Mountmellick, Kilcavan and The Rock, Killeshin and Crettyard.
it's a great idea and the way to go but if someone can persuade one parish in particular to amalgamate at senior level that  person should be on the first plane to Kiev to negotiate peace talks .

georgedoylesrightleg

templenoe into a Kerry county final. A junior b side less than 10 years ago. Some lads here would of had them disbanded or amalgamated into some parish team and laughed at them tryin to play Senior on their own

High Fielder

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on August 25, 2022, 03:31:48 PM
Robbo in fairness I agree with a lot of what you say also. I just think that only certain generations in some clubs are capable of playing senior by themselves. When they are not capable as a unit then they can play as part of an area team. When they strong again they will be promoted and compete at senior again. Yes area teams will raise the bar and make it more difficult for small clubs to be senior but surely that's the point. Every clubs ambition should be to be running at as close to potential as possible. Then if that lands them in senior, intermediate or junior then so be it. If a club (same as a player) is genuinely managing to run close to potential and this is the lens that they view the club through then we would be doing very well. In that situation being intermediate might hold value. At the minute the badge of senior is almost worthless. The currency is destroyed. You suggest clubs might take the handy way out and let stronger lads on to play with area team. If that is the attitude of clubs in this system then their attitude wont be any better in a different system.

I think we both agree that the most important element of raising standards is to have each club well organised and progressive. I would cut the clubs in senior championship also but add area teams. Its easy to say this and it might even be approved at some stage but there needs to be a system put in place for them to survive and thrive. Without a system and building the system it would die within years and never be considered again. Attitudes need to change.

twohands!!!

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on August 27, 2022, 10:27:19 PM
templenoe into a Kerry county final. A junior b side less than 10 years ago. Some lads here would of had them disbanded or amalgamated into some parish team and laughed at them tryin to play Senior on their own

Templnoe are into the Kerry club final which is different to the Kerry county final.

Kerry have a club championship and a county championship.

Templnoe have only been a senior club since 2020.

Prior to that the best Templnoe players would have been playing in the Kerry County Championship as part of a Kenmare District team which would be an amalgamated team.

I would say if anything this is evidence of the superiority of the Kerry structures and the advantages of having divisional teams.

Laoiseabu

A little bit off topic but would someone from Ballyroan on this forum be able to tell me how many of the Ballyroan senior panel are from Abbeyleix or are the majority of them from Ballyroan ?

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 29, 2022, 10:16:15 AM

Templnoe are into the Kerry club final which is different to the Kerry county final.

Prior to that the best Templnoe players would have been playing in the Kerry County Championship as part of a Kenmare District team which would be an amalgamated team.

I would say if anything this is evidence of the superiority of the Kerry structures and the advantages of having divisional teams.
disagree. laois hve no divisional so not relevant. templenoe in laois woulda been told to amalgamate to give their good players a chance play higher. or the players poached by other clubs.

High Fielder

The CB sanctioned the poaching of players when it suited them and tried to block the ones that didn't, at great expense. I also seem to remember an article written by the County Secretary asking clubs to think seriously about amalgamations. He must have thought the chances of a Templenoe or Kilcruise happening soon or again was nigh on impossible. And he was right then as others above are now. We've dropped to a ridiculously bad level. There are no Templenoes in Laois

Ballybrittas Boy

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 29, 2022, 01:59:35 PM
A little bit off topic but would someone from Ballyroan on this forum be able to tell me how many of the Ballyroan senior panel are from Abbeyleix or are the majority of them from Ballyroan ?
I think Mark Cahill, Lawson Obular and Cathal Doyle are all Abbeyleix lads. After that I'm not too sure but I would assume the lads with the surnames Whelan, Gee and McWey are all Ballyroan.

twohands!!!

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on August 29, 2022, 02:09:18 PM

disagree. laois hve no divisional so not relevant. templenoe in laois woulda been told to amalgamate to give their good players a chance play higher. or the players poached by other clubs.

The point I was making is that in Kerry it's not an either/or situation.
There's 2 countywide championships - the club championship and the county championship.
Every player plays with his club in the club championship and every player who is not with a senior club can play with a divisional side if they get selected for it (players from senior clubs playe with them in the county championship).
It would be interesting to do a survey of Laois club players to see how they would feel about a similar dual championship structure.

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: High Fielder on August 29, 2022, 03:25:43 PM
The CB sanctioned the poaching of players when it suited them and tried to block the ones that didn't, at great expense. I also seem to remember an article written by the County Secretary asking clubs to think seriously about amalgamations. He must have thought the chances of a Templenoe or Kilcruise happening soon or again was nigh on impossible. And he was right then as others above are now. We've dropped to a ridiculously bad level. There are no Templenoes in Laois
be no fear of a templenoe wit your attitude

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 29, 2022, 04:12:54 PM

There's 2 countywide championships - the club championship and the county championship.
Every player plays with his club in the club championship and every player who is not with a senior club can play with a divisional side if they get selected for it (players from senior clubs playe with them in the county championship).
It would be interesting to do a survey of Laois club players to see how they would feel about a similar dual championship structure.
it is an either or sutuation in laois. bring in a divisional side or 2, be grand. but the lad shere who mock small clubs trying to do their best would sicken yor hole.

High Fielder

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on August 29, 2022, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on August 29, 2022, 03:25:43 PM
be no fear of a templenoe wit your attitude

And absolutely zero chance of change with yours. Templenoe indeed. Laughable really. This is Laois pal

High Fielder

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on August 29, 2022, 04:49:37 PM

it is an either or sutuation in laois. bring in a divisional side or 2, be grand. but the lad shere who mock small clubs trying to do their best would sicken yor hole.

More falsehoods. Nobody mocked smaller clubs. You really are the worst type of troll. Robbo and Speculative were having a good debate there. No mocking. Just a good exchange of ideas. Do remember that the CB secretary once asked that clubs think seriously about amalgamation. Remember that. It's important

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: High Fielder on August 29, 2022, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on August 29, 2022, 04:49:37 PM

More falsehoods. Nobody mocked smaller clubs. You really are the worst type of troll. Robbo and Speculative were having a good debate there. No mocking. Just a good exchange of ideas. Do remember that the CB secretary once asked that clubs think seriously about amalgamation. Remember that. It's important
kilcavan werte mocked here before. rosenallis park clonaslee wood all mocked for being pretend senior clubs. It's all there. mock the clubs doing their best to improve. blame everything else on county board.

High Fielder

I can't have it that clubs were mocked on this forum. It wouldn't be allowed by admin or users for a start, and it's just not that sort of forum.

As for the CB, I myself would like to see them gone. Nothing personal you understand; just similar to what happened in Offaly. I don't like the decisions they make in general, and I don't think they're capable of improving our lot. It's just an opinion, but one I know that many people share. Obviously you don't, and that's fine by me too.